Help Needed! Discharge from privates in female puppy. UTI? Advice needed!

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Hi guys,

I would very much appreciate any advice! About a week ago I noticed that our now 3 months old female puppy has a yellowish mucousy discharge ā€œthreadā€ hanging down from her vulva after she pees. I googled it and it said that it could be juvenile vaginitis (which was said resolves in most bitches once they grow up with no additional treatment) or it can be UTI. Our puppy does pee a LOT and though she knows that it is good to potty outside (and goes straight to ā€œbusinessā€ when she is out) she would just as easily pee at home (even after going potty shortly before that...and she does have enough pee to pee, it is not just that ā€œalmost no pee UTI urgesā€) if I am busy and miss the moment. After two accident-free nights she had two pee accidents in her crate this night too.

I HATE vet offices (because this is where all sick dogs go and therefore, it is the easiest place to catch a parvo, distemper or something else nasty) and I hate the idea of antibiotics prior to trying other things first, if she does indeed has a UTI. Especially I donā€™t want to go to a vet right now since I decided to skip the 12 weeks core shot (and wonā€™t be doing rabies shot for a
while...if ever), so right now she has little to no immunity for parvo/distemper since she only had one shot at 8 weeks. I probably will give her one core shot at 4 months of age though.

Anyway, being an herbalist, this is what I have done so far. Once I spotted the discharge I started adding to her food a bit of uva ursi powder and cranberry fruit powder to each meal (uva ursi is one of the strongest desinfectants for UTIs and also has disinfecting action over the pelvic area). I also was adding to the mix a powder of red raspberry leaf, as this herb is specific to uterus and female reproductive area, and therefore, given together with uva ursi it will also help direct antibacterial properties of uva ursi to the female reproductive system in case it is a vaginitis. Now, uva ursi is a SHORT term herb (no more than 7-10 days) plus it is not even recommended for children (so for puppies too, Iā€™d assume, but I figured itā€™d be better to try it first if it can help avoiding an antibiotic). So after a week, I gave her uva ursi in her food last time this morning, I wonā€™t be giving anymore, but it did not seem to help anything :(. From day one I was also giving her some alcohol free echinacea tincture, just a drop or two, two-three times a day to help her immunity system during all the stress of transitioning from her mama/siblings into our home. I still am giving it to her since I skipped the 12 weeks shot, I figured it wonā€™t hurt. I also made some solution of water with grapefruit seed extract (strong antibacterial and antifungal) and some anti-bacterial/antifungal essential oils which I spray on a tissue paper to wipe her vulva every time she comes home from outside (because the recommendation for
both juvenile vaginitis and UTI on the internet was to keep the area clean, wiping the discharge).

With all the snow it is white outside, so if there was any visible blood in her urine, it would be easy to notice; I looked and her urine always seems of normal color.

Over all the puppy is active, eats well and does not act sick.

Any advice, input, suggestions? I am at a loss, I totally expected the combination of uva ursi, the strongest antiseptic herb for UTI (also directed to reproductive system by red raspberry leaf) and in combination with echinesea to clear whatever it is she has, but it did not :(. The breeder said that none of his dogs has a vaginitis and I trust him, he is a good honest guy, who would not hide if there was a problem.

What am I to do???

Thanks in advance and sorry it is so long, I just wanted to mention all the details, to make sure nothing gets missed.

Yulia

__._,_.___

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have NO idea if any herbal remedy would help a UTIā€¦ I would assume that antibiotics would be the only thing that would help. Is there any way you could get a urine sample to the vets office?!! Female bullies do have a dischargeā€¦ but peeing inappropriately would indicate that there could be something else going on. I will tag some members that may have insight on this...

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Thank you! She does pee appropriately/normal. So maybe it is normal to have some discharge for a female puppy?? The breeder did not think so, he has never seen one in his pups (but then again, it is not like he has the time to pay much attention to each puppy the way I do)...

Google search indicated that discharge was an indication of vaginitis on adult females, it did not indicate it was normal. But if it is, maybe in pups it is normal too?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I found this articleā€¦ it indicates that this is normal BUT you would have to be certain that's its vaginitis and not something else going on. I'm not sure how you would know unless you have a vet check that out...
01 Puppy Vaginitis - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Can you call your vets office and just ask their opinion about it?!!

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Yes, this is one of the links that came up for me, too when I googled it.

I called the vet office and of course all they could say is bring her in just in case...not very helpful at all...

Bulldogmama1

Dec 26, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lewis and Stella
You don't need to take her in to test for a UTI. You just need to collect a urine sample. Take her out on a leash and when she goes to squat, try and slide a clean paper plate under her. Then pour the pee into a clean container. You need about a tablespoon. If you don't get enough on the first try, do it again layer. Keep the pee in the refrigerator until you can get it to the vet. Should be same day. They will run the test and you will know if your dealing with a UTI or not.

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I have NO idea if any herbal remedy would help a UTIā€¦ I would assume that antibiotics would be the only thing that would help. Is there any way you could get a urine sample to the vets office?!! Female bullies do have a dischargeā€¦ but peeing inappropriately would indicate that there could be something else going on. I will tag some members that may have insight on this...

Antibiotics can be a double-edged sword, for sure. From one side, they can and do save lifes. From the other side, they can and often do lead to serious issues. They kill GI good bacteria that normally keeps in check pathogenic bacteria and aids with normal food digestion/assimilation, disrupting those important functions. So, whether it is with me, my kids or our pet, I would only resort to antibiotics if objectively necessary and potential benefits way outweigh the possible long-term consequences.

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
You don't need to take her in to test for a UTI. You just need to collect a urine sample. Take her out on a leash and when she goes to squat, try and slide a clean paper plate under her. Then pour the pee into a clean container. You need about a tablespoon. If you don't get enough on the first try, do it again layer. Keep the pee in the refrigerator until you can get it to the vet. Should be same day. They will run the test and you will know if your dealing with a UTI or not.

That's a great idea! I will do that! Thanks!!

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
David, I of course checked every single herb that goes into Kira's mouth on being safe and used for dogs. That goes without saying. She does not need poison control, she acts active, normal and healthy.

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Just wanted to thank everyone for the support and give an update on Kira. Don't want to jinx it yet, but I have not seen any discharge in Kira the whole day yesterday and this morning and she had an accident free night today!! Yeah!! :) So maybe uva ursi with echinacea are doing its job after all (I figured since it seems working I will give her uva ursi for a couple more days, just to make sure it is completely cleared). The puppy behaves happy, active and normally naughty, as always :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just wanted to thank everyone for the support and give an update on Kira. Don't want to jinx it yet, but I have not seen any discharge in Kira the whole day yesterday and this morning and she had an accident free night today!! Yeah!! :) So maybe uva ursi with echinacea are doing its job after all (I figured since it seems working I will give her uva ursi for a couple more days, just to make sure it is completely cleared). The puppy behaves happy, active and normally naughty, as always :)

great news... hope she continues to improve!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I have had bully girls in the past that have had this kind of discharge. The trouble is I can't remember what it was for sure--my best guess is vaginitis. I've had UTIs several times in bully girls also. Every UTI has been accompanied by a constant urge to pee. I mean tinkling every 4 or 5 minutes wherever they are, even if it's only a few drops. I can't get to the vet fast enough with a UTI!! Good luck!

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Thanks Dannam! It is good to know. If Kira had/has a UTI it is definitely asymptomatic. I mean she does pee a lot during the day for sure (which might be normal for a 3 months old puppy...it is normal?), but she always has plenty of urine, so it looks like a normal urination and she never seems in any pain while going potty.

From what I understand from googling, vaginitis in adult dogs is not normal, but it does differ from juvenile vaginitis which is said to be common and usually resolves on its on by 8 months of age.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of my pups had a little bit of yellowish discharge,at a young age. My vet said that was normal,that they have it sometimes,as young female pups. I used to wipe her with a baby wipe. It didn't take but about two weeks and it was gone.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.