Help Needed! Discharge from privates in female puppy. UTI? Advice needed!

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
One of my pups had a little bit of yellowish discharge,at a young age. My vet said that was normal,that they have it sometimes,as young female pups. I used to wipe her with a baby wipe. It didn't take but about two weeks and it was gone.

Thanks! I am so happy to hear that! Was it sometimes handing down after she peed kind of like a yellowing thin thread?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I don't recall seeing that, but it would be sort of sticky yellowish on her vulva.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Juvenile Vaginitis can be common, but I would be wary of making sure it is not also an infection. Check her temperature at least twice a day because she could become heavily symptomatic in a matter of hours if it is indeed infection. Her temp should be between 99-101 F.

You can rub neosphorin if it is only juvenile vaginitis because I think it's basically bacterial infection of the vulva if I'm not mistaken, a surface infection. But if it spreads into her urethra you are taking a huge chance of her getting very sick, and those infections are very painful. I understand you don't want to use antibiotics if at all possible, but there are precautions you can take to get her to the vet to be sure she's ok. Bring towels to lay on the table, make sure all employees wash their hands or wear gloves who touch her. Strip off your clothes and shoes, spray your shoes with antibacterial, ect. Believe me, I've done it when I had to.

I am also against over vaccination - but I do think there is a fine line between putting a pup at risk of disease and ensuring they do not get vaccinosis. Titer testing is the only way to be sure. If her temp goes up, don't take any chances and get her in right away.

If she does have a UTI or infection in there, there is no way to cure a UTI as far as I know of besides giving antibiotics- you can help prevent them with supplements, but if you find other ways please share.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Juvenile Vaginitis can be common, but I would be wary of making sure it is not also an infection. Check her temperature at least twice a day because she could become heavily symptomatic in a matter of hours if it is indeed infection. Her temp should be between 99-101 F.

You can rub neosphorin if it is only juvenile vaginitis because I think it's basically bacterial infection of the vulva if I'm not mistaken, a surface infection. But if it spreads into her urethra you are taking a huge chance of her getting very sick, and those infections are very painful. I understand you don't want to use antibiotics if at all possible, but there are precautions you can take to get her to the vet to be sure she's ok. Bring towels to lay on the table, make sure all employees wash their hands or wear gloves who touch her. Strip off your clothes and shoes, spray your shoes with antibacterial, ect. Believe me, I've done it when I had to.

I am also against over vaccination - but I do think there is a fine line between putting a pup at risk of disease and ensuring they do not get vaccinosis. Titer testing is the only way to be sure. If her temp goes up, don't take any chances and get her in right away.

If she does have a UTI or infection in there, there is no way to cure a UTI as far as I know of besides giving antibiotics- you can help prevent them with supplements, but if you find other ways please share.

Totally GOOD advice-I knew she didn't want vet-but I personally would.(was thinking-but not writing) I also DO get their shots. I worry too much.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
If you leave a UTI untreated, which is what you may be doing, it can and probably will lead to damage to her bladder lining. This irritation/damage can lead to polyps on her bladder wall that will definitely lead to a very expensive trip to the vet. And with our bullies, anesthesia is more dangerous than broad spectrum antibiotics. As a RN, I appreciate your concern for the irresponsible use of antibiotics that have lead to resistant bacteria. However, I do not condone not providing the appropriate treatment for an active infection or even worse not identifying the infection. Alternative medicine is fabulous but just as dangerous as Western medicine especially when that is the only treatment people rely on. I agree medication is not always the answer but sometimes it is the only answer. Please take her Urine as well as a swab of the discharge in and have it tested.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.