Something is just not right

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Diesel has just not been acting right the past couple of days. I was gone for the weekend and my oldest daughters took care of Diesel (at our home) and since I got back home he has just been acting strange. I thought he was pouting that I was gone for a few days but he's been majorly gassy, loose stools, sleeping more than normal and just mopey. He is always crated when unsupervised but I'm afraid that stinker got into something. He's been eating mostly normally and we changed his food over a month ago. He had loose stool this morning at about 6 am but then straining to go again at 7 am. I'm worried about an obstruction but doesn't that usually present with vomiting? He's had no vomiting so far. Just isn't acting himself.

At what point do I take him to the vet? I don't want to wait until the office is closed for the holidays and end up having to rush him 45 mins away to the emergency vet. I'm worried. Am I just being paranoid?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Diesel has just not been acting right the past couple of days. I was gone for the weekend and my oldest daughters took care of Diesel (at our home) and since I got back home he has just been acting strange. I thought he was pouting that I was gone for a few days but he's been majorly gassy, loose stools, sleeping more than normal and just mopey. He is always crated when unsupervised but I'm afraid that stinker got into something. He's been eating mostly normally and we changed his food over a month ago. He had loose stool this morning at about 6 am but then straining to go again at 7 am. I'm worried about an obstruction but doesn't that usually present with vomiting? He's had no vomiting so far. Just isn't acting himself.

At what point do I take him to the vet? I don't want to wait until the office is closed for the holidays and end up having to rush him 45 mins away to the emergency vet. I'm worried. Am I just being paranoid?

If you feel he isn't acting like himself, I'd get him checked out - our intuition & knowing our babies is usually always right. Straining is def a sign of obstruction. I just went through this with my guy (who is still recovering) - I'd have them do xrays first, and go from there. They won't necessarily vomit right away, depending on how far or the exact location of the obstruction is. Its better to be safe than sorry with these guys. Prayers!

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
If you feel he isn't acting like himself, I'd get him checked out - our intuition & knowing our babies is usually always right. Straining is def a sign of obstruction. I just went through this with my guy (who is still recovering) - I'd have them do xrays first, and go from there. They won't necessarily vomit right away, depending on how far or the exact location of the obstruction is. Its better to be safe than sorry with these guys. Prayers!

Yes reading your ordeal with your Tyson is what got me thinking obstruction. It's just been a couple of days so I don't know if he was just stressed with me not being there or if there really is a problem. I hope your guy is on the mend and I hope my guy isn't trying to scare me to death!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, I knew instinctively that something wasn't right. And even though they didn't see anything right away, look what happened. 2 socks!!! I also feel like the earlier you catch things, the better. I'd go to the vet soon, vs waiting for ER, which will cost you double. If its something small, they may give him something to help pass it. Or he could have a stomach bug. I've seen alot of those around lately too.

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Yes, I knew instinctively that something wasn't right. And even though they didn't see anything right away, look what happened. 2 socks!!! I also feel like the earlier you catch things, the better. I'd go to the vet soon, vs waiting for ER, which will cost you double. If its something small, they may give him something to help pass it. Or he could have a stomach bug. I've seen alot of those around lately too.

We are in a very rural area and don't associate with other dogs or areas where there are other dogs. It's just us and our pups. I'll probably give the vet a call and see if they can do a workup. He had tapeworms about a month and a half ago so it's probably time to have him checked again anyway.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yeah, I'd still get him checked out. He could have picked up something outside maybe. Tyson in the middle of all this also had a bacterial infection (UTI) I have no idea if it was in relation to the foreign objects or not. But he really isn't around other dogs either. But he does go out on twice daily. You just never know. Good luck! Hoping its nothing serious!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree if your motherly instinct tells you something is off I'd take him in asap. Please keep us posted.

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Thanks. He's got an appointment today at 3 pm (CT). I'll let you know what the vet says. Unfortunately this vet is our local "country" doc and he isn't always as thorough as I would like. I'll just have to make sure I don't leave there until I'm comfortable with the answers. Darn these guys sure can make us worry, can't they?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
That's for sure! Good luck and keep us posted.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the gang… let us know how his appointment goes this afternoon!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks. He's got an appointment today at 3 pm (CT). I'll let you know what the vet says. Unfortunately this vet is our local "country" doc and he isn't always as thorough as I would like. I'll just have to make sure I don't leave there until I'm comfortable with the answers. Darn these guys sure can make us worry, can't they?

yep -- get him in and please let us know how it goe.... sending positive thoughts

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Thanks everyone! Well the doc visit went better than expected. Doc felt of Diesels tummy and said it did feel hard and he was concerned about the loose stool but he said we weren't at panic level yet. He gave him a dose of what he called puppy Pepcid and put him on a week of antibiotics just in case. He said to watch him in the next few hours and if he started vomiting or got worse to call him (he gave me his personal cell number). He wants us to try a different food but that Diesel just may be a very tender hearted pup and it upset his tummy when we were gone for several days.

I'm really hoping its that simple and I'm being an over worrier for no reason. We shall see. Thanks so much for your support. I just can't help questioning every little thing that seems different about my little man. I've got a long road of paranoia ahead of me raising my fur baby LOL!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
glad the appt. went well, [MENTION=13212]DieselsMom[/MENTION]. You hit the nail on the head when you wrote "a long road of paranoia ahead of me raising my fur baby..." That's how it can be w/our bulldogs. Every little thing that seems "off" or out of their routine sends me into a panic mode too. Hang in there and hoping Diesel will feel better w/the meds!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Glad that the vet didn't find anything that raised alarms. I think bulldogs are very sensitive to their humans being away. Mine freaks out when I even have a bag out to pack. Sending lots of good thoughts Diesel's way that he gets better soon

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks everyone! Well the doc visit went better than expected. Doc felt of Diesels tummy and said it did feel hard and he was concerned about the loose stool but he said we weren't at panic level yet. He gave him a dose of what he called puppy Pepcid and put him on a week of antibiotics just in case. He said to watch him in the next few hours and if he started vomiting or got worse to call him (he gave me his personal cell number). He wants us to try a different food but that Diesel just may be a very tender hearted pup and it upset his tummy when we were gone for several days.

I'm really hoping its that simple and I'm being an over worrier for no reason. We shall see. Thanks so much for your support. I just can't help questioning every little thing that seems different about my little man. I've got a long road of paranoia ahead of me raising my fur baby LOL!

Good news! I hope its nothing serious. But definitely keep an eye on him - bc I had docs miss both socks, even with xrays, & ultrasounds, they gave Tyson pepcid too, on 2 separate occasions. I think it may have helped but just very temporarily. I'm the one who knew something still wasn't right, so we are thanking God they came up on their own. We still aren't in the clear with Tyson either... still keeping an eye on him too. I won't be convinced until I see him back to his usual self. Hope Diesel starts feeling better soon with the meds! You are right, prepare yourself, its part of the bully parent life. :)

Most Reactions

Members online