USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any Thoughts On What This Could Be

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBullyMama View Post
    The food stuff is so confusing! Bullmama- I think being a food snob is okay (not that you are) I want to feed my pets the best I'm all about promotion wellness through nutrition (wish I could do better at the same for myself-lol). Funny thing I know folks talk about the expense but where I found Fromm, the small bag is the exact same price as the Nutro Ultra and cheaper than the Royal Canin she came to us in from the breeder! I never would have thought about the rice content. Thanks for all of your input, it's so helpful!!!

Crazy that is how it is but so true, Fromm doesn't advertise, only through contests, giveaways and word of mouth, so all those extra dollars the other brands charge is going into advertising.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cady
    Likes (Received)

I wanted to post a Cady update but first let me say....you all are awsome....you were right from the beginning! 3 weeks, 3 vet visits and several hundred dollars later we are FINALLY treating Cady for demodectic mange. So here's some catch up...at Cady's 2nd appointment (same practice same vet) the vet is totally perplexed that the cultures showed nothing and the scrape was negative for Demodex so, given symptoms and a consult with another vet in the practice they treat for sarcoptic mange and give her one injection of ivermectin, keep her on the simpliceff and schedule her back for a recheck and 2nd injection in 2 weeks. I'm perplexed, thinking to myself "where did she pick this up?" but go with it. In the next two weeks we aren't seeing much improvement and a few new mild spots start popping up. My husband and I talked and decided to switch her to Fromm Puppy Gold 9 days ago, just to do our own experiment on the allergies. I kid you not, after 3 days into the food transition hair started growing back on the initial big spot! But, still no significant improvement on the other newer spots.
    3rd visit (same practice different vet) on Tuesday, vet does a re-scrape (no charge...gee thanks...lol) she found one demodex mite and with Cady's symptoms said that was enough for her to move forward with treatment for demodectic mange. Cady is on daily ivermectin now with the simplicef and weekly chlorhexidine baths. Does anyone have any experience with ivermectin treatment for demodectic mange? How long does it take before symptoms improve? Vet said she feels it kind of an either/or on using chlorhexidine or pyoben shampoo, we had some chlorhexidine so didn't get pyoben yet, anyone have experience with one being better than the other?
    Oh yeah, and what a difference on Fromm...no more puppy farts and she's down to pooing from 3x to 2x per day and she's not even fully off the Nutro Ultra Puppy. After doing a little research I found 3 different retailers in my area that carry it too!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBullyMama View Post
    I wanted to post a Cady update but first let me say....you all are awsome....you were right from the beginning! 3 weeks, 3 vet visits and several hundred dollars later we are FINALLY treating Cady for demodectic mange. So here's some catch up...at Cady's 2nd appointment (same practice same vet) the vet is totally perplexed that the cultures showed nothing and the scrape was negative for Demodex so, given symptoms and a consult with another vet in the practice they treat for sarcoptic mange and give her one injection of ivermectin, keep her on the simpliceff and schedule her back for a recheck and 2nd injection in 2 weeks. I'm perplexed, thinking to myself "where did she pick this up?" but go with it. In the next two weeks we aren't seeing much improvement and a few new mild spots start popping up. My husband and I talked and decided to switch her to Fromm Puppy Gold 9 days ago, just to do our own experiment on the allergies. I kid you not, after 3 days into the food transition hair started growing back on the initial big spot! But, still no significant improvement on the other newer spots.
    3rd visit (same practice different vet) on Tuesday, vet does a re-scrape (no charge...gee thanks...lol) she found one demodex mite and with Cady's symptoms said that was enough for her to move forward with treatment for demodectic mange. Cady is on daily ivermectin now with the simplicef and weekly chlorhexidine baths. Does anyone have any experience with ivermectin treatment for demodectic mange? How long does it take before symptoms improve? Vet said she feels it kind of an either/or on using chlorhexidine or pyoben shampoo, we had some chlorhexidine so didn't get pyoben yet, anyone have experience with one being better than the other?
    Oh yeah, and what a difference on Fromm...no more puppy farts and she's down to pooing from 3x to 2x per day and she's not even fully off the Nutro Ultra Puppy. After doing a little research I found 3 different retailers in my area that carry it too!

So glad you finally got a solid diagnosis! Now to get her all better.... I will tag a few members that I think have mange experience.... best of luck getting her all healed up! keeping you on the prayer list!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Ivermectin is a pretty standard treatment for the mange. Someone I know has a frenchie with sarcoptic mange, and she gets an ivermectin shot once a month, to keep it from breaking out. I would think with demodectic, it should be improving in about two weeks,could be sooner.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Walter was diagnosed w/demodex mange in late summer/early fall… we initially were going conservative treating individual spots but it started spreading. The vet suggested the dips so we decided to go ahead w/them and luckily for us Walter didn't have a reaction to them. So along w/weekly dips and the use of Advantage Multi it finally stopped spreading, and now the hair is growing back in his bald spots. I'm sorry that you had to spend SO much money, and wait so long for them to figure out what was wrong w/your baby. Keep us posted on Cady's progress...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update, glad to hear she is improving. Luckily they only found one, likely her case isn't bad and she will get better quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads