Large Umbilical hernia

MSUDawg

Dec 3, 2014
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on treating a large (1/2 dollar size) hernia. We plan to get it repaired surgically, but the vet is pushing to do it even before she reaches 4 months old. I really would like to get to 6 months just due to everything I've read about maturing.
Tonight we tried using secure flex wrap, to hold a cotton round and a piece of cardboard the same size. But the beloved wrinkles came back to bite...and the skin moved back and forth and it popped off within 10 minutes.

I just wondered if anyone had a better idea since obviously we don't want to make it tight enough to cause damage. I'm thinking making the cardboard round and bandage larger.

Other than the Hernia, Bella is doing wonderful and I'll try to post some photos as we have now had her exactly a month on the 30th.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
What are the benefits to waiting until she's 6 months? I don't have personal experience with this but I've heard and read
that it's best to do it as soon as possible.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had a pup w/an umbilical hernia, but it was small… the vet told us to wait to see if it would go back and it did. We ended up NOT having surgery, I will tag other members who may have more experience w/this...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had 2 pups that had umbilical hernias. Mine were about the size of a quarter. I also had a Shih Tsu who had one-and she eventually had surgery. The two bullies,
I put a quarter on the hernia, held it in place, and wrapped vet wrap around the dog=to keep the quarter in place. Your's hernia is a little bigger, but you could try it with a 50 cent piece. Both of mine closed up, and my vet thought that I had come up with a great idea!!! If you try this, being the hernia is bigger, it may not close up, but it could buy you some more time. I kept mine wrapped for a couple of months-changing to check on, or if it got dirty.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
i would say since it's that big, go ahead and get it fixed. Usually they are around 1/4 to 1/2 inch and can wait until they are spayed or neutered.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[h=2]From WWW.petmd.com

Umbilical Dog Hernia[/h]An umbilical hernia is an opening in the muscle wall where the umbilicus (belly button) is located. The hernia allows the abdominal contents to pass through the opening.

Symptoms and Types

Umbilical hernias may be complicated or uncomplicated. A complicated hernia is one in which contents of the abdominal cavity, such as a loop of intestine, have passed through the opening and become entrapped.

An uncomplicated umbilical hernia is associated with a soft swelling in the umbilical area. This swelling may be variable in size and may come and go. Otherwise, the dog will appear health.

Symptoms seen with a complicated umbilical hernia may include:

• Pain and warmth, especially at the site of the umbilical swelling
  • Vomiting
  • Lack of appetite
  • Depression

Causes

Most umbilical hernias in dogs are probably inherited although trauma can also be a cause. Some breeds of dogs, including Airedales, Pekingese, and basenji are predisposed to umbilical hernias.

Diagnosis

Umbilical hernias can usually be diagnosed by finding the swelling caused by the hernia on a physical examination. However, sometimes contrast radiographs (x-rays) or an abdominal ultrasound are needed to determine which abdominal contents, if any, are entrapped.

Treatment

Treatment of an umbilical hernia involves surgical correction of the opening and replacement of abdominal contents if necessary. Some umbilical hernias will, however, close spontaneously, usually by 6 months of age.

Most Reactions