Help Needed! 10 month old male with a UTI

Bulldogmama1

Dec 26, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lewis and Stella
My 10 month old male puppy has a UTI. He peed in his create which he never does, so I took a urine sample into the vet. Positive for UTI. He is on a great food, gets numerous potty breaks during the day, has access to water at all times, was neutered at 6 mos. I am so worried, not normal for a.male to get a UTI especially at his age. Anybody have this problem?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hopefully it's a one time thing, and the antibiotics will help. You can also give him a cranberry pill everyday, and that will help. Ask you vet which ones he recommends.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree, I hope it's a one time thing. Just make sure to have him tested again as soon as the antibiotics are done to make sure all bacteria is gone. Otherwise it will regrow again causing repeat UTI. And also finish all of his antibiotics, even if he's all better. Try not to miss a single dose.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Have they checked his urine for stones? Before they do don't give cranberry or anything else.

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
For what its worth my male bulldog kept getting UTI's as a puppy and after being neutered at 1 year of age I was outdoors walking with him and every 5 foot or so he would stop and pee. I ended up getting down to check his stream of urine and nothing was coming out so I ended up taking him to the vet who told me sure enough he was obstructed and we ended up doing a surgery called a PU ( re-routing) his uretha so he could pass any future stones- that ended up being the cause of this problem. The vet told me they were cystine stones and he would have to be on a low protein diet for life. I ended up doing some research online and on the paper work the vet gave me they sent his stones to a Vet Collage in Missouri or Minnesota ( Sorry I forgot) that received large funding from Hills( the ppl who make the Hills special diet foods for cats and dogs! )After reading that I went online and found several articals and studies online that claimed low protein diets can cause cardio problems not only in bulldogs but newfoundlands as well. A year and a half later Buddy has had no more problems urinating and eats grain free Fromms 4 star kibble ( along with his treats) No special diet. I took the articals up to the vet who I dealt with and she said " Well maybe you should get a nutritionist for Buddy"

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.