When does hip-displaysia normally occur?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So, I'm weighing my pet insurance options and I need to make a decision quickly, so as to get covered while Bella is still young and healthy. I have read info about the pros/cons of different companies. Right now, I'm deciding between Healthy Paws and TruPanion. I'm leaning toward Healthy Paws, but they require a 12-month waiting period for hip-displaysia. That is concerning, but is hip-displaysia something that normally occurs in older dogs? Is there a great risk of Bella getting it during her first year?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hip Dysplasia can be diagnosed when they're puppies, it just takes an x-ray. Arthritis is what occurs because of hip sysplasia and that generally happens as they get older. But depending on the severity of the dysplasia, arthritis can set it in at a very young age as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our girl, Banks was diagnosed with it at about 8 months of age... but as Ellie stated it can be even earlier. Also, insurance companies know this too, HP is very common in many breeds, not just Bulldogs so they know it will be diagnosed at some point in that first year

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hmm, interesting. Thanks guys! I may be leaning a different way then.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.