info on pet insurance

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] - That's too bad that they didn't accept your claims. Did they decline because you're not the original owner?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] That is ridiculous because if the vets records for the full health check did not show any signs of entropian than it can not be considered an existing condition when you took the policy out.

Unfortunately, Trupanion will now consider the entropian an existing condition because it was present when the policy was taken out. We are still waiting for the outcome of our claim from Trupanion - our vet keeps sending them incorrect records but we are hoping that this final time our vets have now sent the records they want to see.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
They are considering it all "pre-existing" based on his original check-up. She did mention the entropion so I understand that (they apparently NEVER cover entropion, so I was told by one agent but I will be calling again to see if I can confirm that) but the skin and ear infections?! If he didn't have them at the original visit, how can it be pre-existing?! They are nuts - I'll keep you all updated after I call them Friday. It's a waste of money I'd they aren't going to cover everything. Although, I guess in a cause of accident/trauma it would be worth it. Hmph. :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would agree that the skin and ear infections can't be pre-existing .... some insurance companies just want to have the money and never pay out!!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
You are right [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]. Looks like the pet insurance is as bad as people health insurance! I loathe insurance companies! :angry:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Well we are still waiting for the outcome of our claim to Trupanion. Trupanion blames our vet for not sending the correct information, and our vet says that Trupanion asks for one thing, says it's not the right thing so asks for another. Apparently, that is not what they wanted and so have asked for a third set of records that were sent to them yesterday (Monday)! :crazy:

The aggravating thing about it all is that you have to send in the full medical records when you make your first claim .. it's necessary and so I got a full print out of all the records and sent it in. So what else could the insurance company be possibly looking for. My husband is convinced that they are looking for a way to deny the claim!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] - I agree, they're trying to find a way to get out of it. My insurance company did that and wanted every single vet record, including the one from the breeder. I sent them a vaccination record and told them that Stig only saw the vet for his first shots while he was in her care. It took them a month to go through everything. Hopefully yours will go through ok.

krachet1634

Sep 13, 2010
I signed Optimus up with VPI and after all of his puppy shots, deworming, etc., etc... Faxed in every visit receipt and they hardly ever give you anything back. Had a $260 bill last month and all they sent back was $15. They really don't cover much. Wouldn't recommend.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
It took about 2 weeks and I was approved for Belly's claim when she had an allergic reaction to her puppy shots. I actually called trupanion first to see if it was something they would even cover. The lady was very sweet on the phone and sounded genuinely concerned for my little rugrat. Said to definitely send it in. I had the vet fax her records in and the emergency clinic send in their part. I'm sorry others are getting such a runaround! We'll see how it goes if we ever unfortunately need it for something really big.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm just about to file my first claim with Trupanion. I saw that they want all records...:eek: Vegas has been to several vets before we finally selected this one. Looks like I have a lot of work in front of me.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Yes and expect them to then contact everyone of your vets listed to ask for more details. It's been a month now and Maggie has been with the same vet all her life!! STILL waiting to see if they will allow the claim or not .... and this is for the fluid on the brain that the neurologist says she was born with!!!! We're not even close to finding out what is causing her "episodes" (she had another one last night)!!! We now have a second claim ready to send off for the interdigital cysts she got last week that became infected. ..... I am waiting to find out about the first claim and then I will cancel the policy if they don't cover it. I'm getting rather :angry: with Trupanion right now .....!!!

MLCox

Jan 5, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brody
@Libra926 Yes and expect them to then contact everyone of your vets listed to ask for more details. It's been a month now and Maggie has been with the same vet all her life!! STILL waiting to see if they will allow the claim or not .... and this is for the fluid on the brain that the neurologist says she was born with!!!! We're not even close to finding out what is causing her "episodes" (she had another one last night)!!! We now have a second claim ready to send off for the interdigital cysts she got last week that became infected. ..... I am waiting to find out about the first claim and then I will cancel the policy if they don't cover it. I'm getting rather :angry: with Trupanion right now .....!!!

Kazzy220
im curious what is going on with your pup Maggie? My 9 month old Billie recently had an MRI done and the neuro found two cysts in his brain😢 he is on meds to reduce fluid and to prevent enlargement for a few weeks. These cysts are causing tremors. Although since he started the meds he has only had one. The neuro sounds very hopeful and the spinal fluid came back normal🙌 removing them will be last resort only if he isn't responding to meds and symptoms worsen. Praying for the best and some kind of miracle here. Just wondering how your pup was doing?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=689]catorres8988[/MENTION]
I think insurance is a must with our breed - We have VPI - am I in love with them? No, but they do okay... I wish I had found Trupanion first bc they cover much more, 90%, with no limits. VPI has limits on certain conditions, etc. We're at a point now that we can't switch, because they request all vet records for the last 18 months, and anything the vet treated during that time, they will EXCLUDE. Totally not worth it at this point with us personally. But if you are new, health ok - then Trupanion for sure. Our biggest incident with Tyson which was obstruction, then surgery - ran us a total of around $3,200 - VPI paid out $2,000 - but we maxed all the limits. In my opinion, something is better than nothing, and my biggest recommendation personally is (if you can) get a credit card especially designated to your babies... in case of any big emergencies. I know alot of members here do the same. Good Luck!

BustersOwner

May 3, 2015
Chicago Burbs
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Hi I got my second Bulldog 6 weeks ago as my first one passed in Sept at 8 1/2 years old. I didn't know when I was going to get another bullie but I knew it was going to be a bullie after falling in love with the breed.
I tried insurance with the first doggy 8 years ago but back then they were horrible and wouldn't cover so much so I ended it. I've heard pet insurance has gotten so much better and there are so many more options as well. I'm wondering if Trupanion is still as good as people have said in these earlier posts.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Hi I got my second Bulldog 6 weeks ago as my first one passed in Sept at 8 1/2 years old. I didn't know when I was going to get another bullie but I knew it was going to be a bullie after falling in love with the breed.
I tried insurance with the first doggy 8 years ago but back then they were horrible and wouldn't cover so much so I ended it. I've heard pet insurance has gotten so much better and there are so many more options as well. I'm wondering if Trupanion is still as good as people have said in these earlier posts.
It's hit or miss. Some like myself have had a great experience and others have had horrible experiences with them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.