info on pet insurance

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
just wanted to know if anybody has pet insurance on their bully and if so with who? i'm thinking about getting pet insurance but idk still looking into pros & cons... :bully: Ya'll please let me know.

THANKS!!!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I have insurance on both of my dogs....my cocker spaniel and my bully. I use Trupanion and I have nothing but praise for the company. I took Bertie in for Cherry eye surgery on both eyes, soft pallet reduction surgery, hernia repair, opening of stenotic nares, and spayed. The spay isn't covered, but everything else was. I got my check for 90% of the total bill within 2 weeks.

If you get insurance, you want to make sure that they do not have a maximum cap of what they will cover per visit or per year or per pet Maximum. Also make sure they cover congenital or hereditary conditions.
Trupanion has no caps and they cover congenital and hereditary defects and you can also get a hip dysplasia rider if your pet is under a year old.
I pay approx $80 a month for my trupanion policies. That is total for both dogs and the hip dysplasia policy on both. And I have no deductible.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Same as Reallyrob.

We have trupanion. We switched from VPI because they would not cover Vegas. I also have no deductible. Ours is 101.00 a month. (because Vegas was 3 and O was over 1 when we enrolled them)

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I also have trupanion after asking here on the board. I haven't had to use it yet but since it had no caps on the $$limit. I pay $41.07/ mo with $250 deductible and they cover 90% we also have the optional hip dysplasia option.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I too went with Trupanion because of the high praise they received from people here on this site. I went for the no deductible, and only have Maggie on it right now - monthly payment is $50 approx.

However, I have used it for the first time last week because of the neurological disorders that Maggie is experiencing. I sent in my first claim for just under $1800!!! :eek: I have heard nothing back but it has only just been a week ... so I will keep you posted on just how good they are at paying out when I find out myself! :pray:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Does anyone use the AKC insurance.?? It is free for 3 months when you register your dog but you can renew it afterthat. Gracie's expires in a coupla days and we need to renew or get something else.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
So, I'm understanding you have to pay the bill in full, file a claim and then you get a check? Do all vets take these various ins. plans, or should I be checking with my vet to see what he accepts?

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
I have VPI @ this time and pay about $33 a month with a $100 deductable

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I dont have insurance for Silva. Until joining with EBN and learning I didnt think I needed it. I havent looked into any insurances yet and not really sure what is available in Canada. I do plan on checking it out and going to ask around with my friends to see what they have.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] ..as I understand it , the only involvement the vet has in the insurance is where they have to sign their name and what the bill is and what it was for. They don't take it like a human insurance card. You have to pay the vet in full and submit your claim to whomever you have for insurance and they send you a check in a few weeks.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I sent in my first claim for just under $1800!!! :eek: I have heard nothing back but it has only just been a week ... so I will keep you posted on just how good they are at paying out when I find out myself! :pray:

How did you send your claim in? Did you fax it or email it or did you send it to them through the mail? Sending it through the mail is the slowest way. I always fax mine in and within a couple days it usually shows on my account that they are processing it. Check usually arrives within 2 weeks.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Looks like I'll be looking into Trupanion. When we got Chunk I took him straight to the vet and signed up for VPI within the first few days. He got a clean bill of health from the vet, just noticed entropion. I have submitted $1000 worth of bills over about 4 months and got denied all of the claims saying it was a pre-existing condition!!! He had an ear infection and a few skin infections. This is ridiculous. I'm planning on calling them on Friday and if they won't cover ANYTHING (they should at least cover the well visits or medication!), then I'm cancelling.

Does anyone know about the pre-existing conditions being a problem with Trupanion?

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] Heredity and congenital problems are considered pre-existing with Trupanion if the symptoms were present prior to the coverage, otherwise they are covered.

I also like that the premiums will nor increase due to age... I have a friend going through VPI who had to drop his insurance because the cost became outrages for his old Shih Tzu

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.