Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 20

Thread: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

  1. #1
    Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Libra926's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1148
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    So...................................
    Vegas went in and had his blood draw done for his med monitoring on Saturday. Dr Uhler called me today and wanted to talk. He first asked me how Vegas was doing. I told him about his seizure that he had early Monday morning. He almost made it 30 days from his last seizure. This one was longer that normal and he paced until about 3:30am.
    He told me that he wanted to increase his phenobarbital level. His level was within theraputic range, but at the low end. He also suggested that if we can't get better control of the seizures..he wants us to go back to the neurologist.
    He is concerned about a possible brain lesion. Apparently (and correct me if I'm wrong) lesions can happen from several different things...two of them being seizures and strokes. I know that having a seizure can cause a stroke, even death.
    He wants us to consider an MRI.
    If he does have a brain lesion..can anything be done? If we don't do an MRI, can a brain lesion get worse over time?
    An MRI would not be covered under his insurance (i don't think) because if falls under pre-existing conditions. It costs anywhere from 2 to 3 grand. They would have to completely sedate him.
    We do have Carecredit...so hopefully we would be able to use part of that to help cover part of the cost.
    Should we do a MRI if there is nothing to be done with the results?
    I'm so indecisive with the decision.
    What do you guys think?
    I'd like to say money isn't an concern, but my husband works on commision. People who build houses buy their supplies from him. Bad economy = no building. Usually summer picks up, but the last few years have been during the summer months.
    So, money is a (slight) concern. But we would do whatever necessary to help him out. I'd sell my quad if it was the only way to get quick cash. (my banshee is my ticket out of the valley if the mountain decides to blow)
    Your input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Libra926; 01-25-2011 at 10:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    catorres8988's Avatar
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Posts
    505
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike & Sparkles
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    wow that is crazy...poor vegas... :[ i'm soooo sorry to hear that he is suffering from seizures. please keep us posted on what you decide. If it was me i would somehow come up w the money to get the MRI done as well....i know just like me you LOVE ur bullies. good luck and i'll be praying for u and vegas. love ya'll!
    <3 Crystal Alonso
    Proud Mom of Spike & Sparkles

  3. #3
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    TessaAndSamson's Avatar
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,262
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    8
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    I am looking this up so I can give a more informed answer. Looks like a brain lesion is another word for brain tumor, is that right?

    "Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

  4. #4
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bella'sMom's Avatar
    Location
    Eau Claire WI
    Posts
    3,310
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    I don't know anything about this. Hopefully @LisaRN can shed some light on the medical issues. We are all here for you what ever you decide, I know decisions like this are so terribly hard to make. I pray that Vegas does fine on his new dosage and maybe he won't have to have something else done.

    Always with me

  5. #5
    Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    dozersmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jen
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,472
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    @Libra926 I don't have musch medical advice about this but If it were me I would talk to the vet and see if there is any treatment for a lesions BEFORE i got the mri. I love my dog but if there isn't any treatment i couldn't see spending the money. So I know where you are coming from in that reguard. If they were worried about a tumor or something that can be treated or if lesions can be treated then I would do it. Don't feel bad if you dont do it if there is nothing that can be done about ti anyway. Also i'm sorry to hear you and Vegas are having such a hard time my heart goes out to you, I can't imagine how tough this must be(hug)
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

  6. #6
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    Think positive Chica. Find out more answers from your vet, or the Nuero vet, and see if an MRI is what you will NEED to do. Hopefully with an increase in his meds we will see less blogs from Vegas's seizures. Remember many of his seizures seem to be incident triggered too. The fireworks. The shake n bake. Doesn't it seem that way to you too?

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  7. #7
    Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    reallyrob's Avatar
    Location
    Southern Illinois/Florida
    Posts
    669
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    Would the MRI actually be considered a pre-existing condition or would your vet treat it as a follow up treatment, which would be covered by most insurance. Who do you have for insurance?

  8. #8
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    sheshistory's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,432
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)
    249

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    Honestly, it sounds to me like you need a LOT more information and do a LOT more research before making a decision.

    I think the key question here is if you do have an MRI on Vegas and they find something on his brain, will they be able to do anything to treat it? If so, what is the likelihood of success? These things are not clear so I would research on the internet and develop a set of questions to ask Vegas' vet or, even better, the specialist that will be doing the MRI.

    It is also my understanding that if Vegas does have a lesion on his brain (basically another name for some kind of tissue abnormality), it would be difficult to diagnose its origin - be it from stroke, trauma, benign tumor, etc.

    What is the sense of spending that kind of money identifying a condition in there are not a variety of viable options for you to explore for recovery? Also, I would be sure to ask, if treatment is available, the rate of success and the cost.

    All of these things must be weighed but it sounds like Vegas is not in immediate danger so take your time, ask all the questions you need to ask so can be certain you are making the best informed decision possible.

    I'm sorry you are going through this. As you know, I understand your position as I was in a similar place not so long ago with Truman's hip.

    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

  9. #9
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    savemejeebus's Avatar
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    6,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    230
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    I would research for more info as well. It seems like you're on the right track already. We're always here if you require help.

  10. #10
    Wrinkle Wiper Terry's Avatar
    Location
    Central Valley, California
    Posts
    111
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bubbles
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    First of find out if the MRI is covered. Increasing the medication if levels are followed may be a good idea. How old is Vegas? I ask because our friends bully actually grew out of all seizures at about two. What kind of lesion?

  11. #11
    Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Libra926's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1148
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    This was a concern from his vet..who has not been his vet for very long. Vegas is 3 and 1/2. He was diagnosed at 10 months old. His neurologist did say that there was a possibility that he could grow out of it......but that was almost 3 years.
    @reallyrob We have Trupanion. I use to have VPI for Orion, but they refused to cover Vegas. Vegas was accepted by Trupanion. I'm just about to submit the bill from his Dr appt on Sat. I don't expect them to pay for his blood draws (which are about 200.00) but I do expect them to pay for the vet fee (49.00) and the test on his chin to determine if it was yeast. I guess we will see what they say.
    We've seen this neurologist twice already. About once a year. I'm afraid to pursue this. And I'm afraid not to.
    @desertskybulldogs
    Yes, I believe that most of these episodes are triggered by anxiety or exhaustion. His last one was 2 days after Christmas. We had been giving him diazepam twice daily on Christmas Eve, Christmas and the day after. On the 27th...when we stopped dosing him, he had the seizure. I think all the toys..over-stimulation was the culprit.
    Monday morning? I have no idea. Nothing really happened that stands out. He wasn't over excited..over exhausted. Not to hot. He was a little restless..but for no reason.
    I wish I knew what the triggers were...but there may not be ANY triggers.

  12. #12
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

    I'm feeling your pain even though what Maggie is going through is not as "physical" as Vegas. I am unsure as to whether a lesion is some kind of brain tumor??? I do know that our neurologist 99.9% ruled out a brain tumor for Maggie because of her age - she was 3 in December. He said it was very unlikely to be a tumor in that age of dog.

    Our full treatment for Maggie including bloodwork, meds, MRI, skull x-ray and overnight stay etc came to just under $1800 so maybe the MRI won't be as costly as you think????

    My next step would be to make the appointment with the neurologist for a talk and more information. As good as your normal vet is, he is still not a neurologist and that's the person who is going to give you the answers. Our vet even says/whispers the name of our neurologist with a kind of awe because I get the impression these speciality vets are the demi-gods of the veterinary world.

    As for whether you are going to pay for the MRI or not .... well if it's needed you know you are so that's a no-brainer. Every time I go to the vets with my husband and Maggie he starts to umm and ahhh and start to grumble about the cost. This time in the neurologist they were asking us how we wanted us to procede after outright telling/hinting the MRI had to be the next step, so when he started to open his mouth I just said to him to "stop right there - you know we're going to do it so save your breath! "

    Our next step for Maggie is a spinal tap .... she had an "episode" on Sunday night but it didnt' follow the usual course of 3 nights in a row and so on Monday night and last night she slept all the way through. So in this instance I'm going to decline the spinal tap and wait to see what happens. So the reason why I bring that up is because ultimately they are the experts, but they are still not going to know Vegas as well as you do. So after taking the neurologists advice you need to still go with your gut.

    As for Trupanion ... don't forget that what they consider the office visit fee is not covered so you may not get your $49 back if that's what they consider it to be.

    Hope that helps a tiny bit ............ (hug)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •