Some major decisions needing to be considered concerning my baby boy.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Glad Bruce got that info on lesion versus tumor. I was trying to research last night so I could give a more informed response. But if I were you I would say it definitely looks like more information is needed to make a decision. Jillh10s thoughts and questions were exactly what was going through my mind, she just always puts things in words way better than I ever can. I know Vegas is a four legged son to you and being that I feel the same way with Sam I hurt for you, I can't imagine how hard this is for you to deal with. Much love, support and prayers being sent your way!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]
The reason for the lack of increase is because of me. I know the phenobarb causes liver damage. We have them checked (enzyme levels) and they are slightly increased. The last time he was on this dose, he was having a hard time walking. I'm going to give this dose another try and see where it takes us. If his back legs are affected...then its time to look at other drugs.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Oh my, I am SOOOO sorry you're going thru this. I really have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. I know you will do the right thing for him after you get all the info, on all your different options. I will be praying for you, Vegas and his Drs.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Now keep in mind I am speaking from a "human" pathophysiology point of view. Really a brain lesion is some kind of tumor - either benign or not benign. Lesion indicates a growth. That can cause seizures for obvious reasons. A stroke is usually caused by a infarction (loss of oxygen) to the brain - ie: blood clot.. or a stroke can be caused by a bleed. Anti seizure medications can be funny in humans - if those levels are not at a therapeutic level..it's common to have seizures. It could be as simple as that. A CT or MRI is probably the only way you are going to tell if this is caused by a lesion - you will see the growth. Or if there has been a bleed or an infarct - a stroke. What I ALWAYS tell patients/families when they are considering very invasive testing is - what are you going to do if what they are looking for is found? Are you going to do surgery? This is my opinion only.. if you can get this phenobarb levels up to the higher end of the range, or try a different medication.. then you know it was that. If it's a lesion (tumor) or stroke what are you going to do? A lesion may be a very expensive surgery which may be a benign or not benign tumor..or if it's a stroke - once they are "old" there is not much you are going to be able to do for that. I hope I made sense.... I know how hard it is to make these decisions.

Last edited:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Wow! My heart breaks that you have to go through this with your beautiful bully. In my practice I ask my patients to weigh the risks and benefits of a procedure and what they plan on doing with the information. I work with mostly palliative patients and really knowing what is going on inside doesnt make a difference in their plan of care, then is it really something they want to go through. I know that it is alot of money to have a MRI done but if knowing exactly what is going on can help with Vegas' plan of care I think I would probably do it. I would definately try all my other non-invasive options first such as trying to increase meds or trying a different med. I think I would also like to have the opinion of the neurologist. I hope that helps a little. Know that your are in my thoughts and I think that you can feel all the support from you EBN family. I think I can speak for everyone that we all :heart: Vegas!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online