Does gluing ears REALLY help prevent infections ?

Medic60

Dec 18, 2014
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Country
united States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sally Sooie
I have no interest in showing my baby girl. However I read an article where a vet said bullies with floppy ears are prone to ear infection due to decreased air circulation. Now this kind of sounds reasonable.
If a week of ear glueing will save my girl from a lifetime of antibiotics than I will do it. But if this is purely cosmetic that I would never do it. I appreciate anyone's response who has experience and or knowledge of any health benefits. I read the other postings and realize there is a consensus that this practice is cruel...however I did not run across anyone addressing the infection concerns.
By the way Sally Sooie is 9 weeks old and both of her parents ears are rosed.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have a floppy eared bulldog and no problems, I clean his the same as the rest. But it is true, more air does help. However, I don't really like ear glueing as most of the time it's not needed. How old is she? Ears usually don't stand until 2-4 months old and the rose on their own without the help of glue. At 8 weeks most pups have oversized floppy ears.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Floppy ears are more prone to infections, like with breeds that are supposed to have floppy ears. Rose ears can get infected too and not all floppy eared dogs are constantly on antibiotics. Not matter what kind of ears, you have to clean them as needed to prevent infections. I myself don't consider glueing ears cruel, it's not like they're glued with super glue or such. For Pete's sake, it's legal to dock dogs ears and tails in the US (that in my opinion is cruel). And btw....my younger boys ears perked up when he was about eleven weeks...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Floppy ears are more prone to infections, like with breeds that are supposed to have floppy ears. Rose ears can get infected too and not all floppy eared dogs are constantly on antibiotics. Not matter what kind of ears, you have to clean them as needed to prevent infections. I myself don't consider glueing ears cruel, it's not like they're glued with super glue or such. For Pete's sake, it's legal to dock dogs ears and tails in the US (that in my opinion is cruel). And btw....my younger boys ears perked up when he was about eleven weeks...

Agreed, as stated above it's usually just not necessary, most of the time they go up in their own. If you were going to show you would probably want to ensure they DO go up, but since you're not going to show I'd say let nature take it's course.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I use to massage Voitto's ears...and resite some spells...;)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Here's Voitto at 9 weeks 18th january 2013 395451_10151350040284726_1822757979_n.jpg
This pic is taken 27th of january....309963_10151368751304726_1750109671_n.jpg And I really did massage his ears....:blush2:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here's Little Man at 8 weeks and at 8 months

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Here is a photo of two of my dogs Sisterly Love.jpgthe one with the stand-up ears has had several ear infections. True most of the time, the ears are more exposed to the air, but I think, like children, some dogs are more prone to things. So far-(knock on wood) she is the only one who has gotten ear infections. They are all treated equally as far as food and care.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke had floppy ears and very rarely got an infection... Banks had rose ears and got infections a lot.... I think it more depends on the dog

OP
Medic60

Medic60

Dec 18, 2014
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Country
united States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sally Sooie
Thank all of you for the input. Your dog's are so cute. After reading your posts I am not going to glue them. I just wanted to make sure I was not depriving her of any health benefits.

It has been 20 years since I had a bulldog. I was a kid then and preInternet we only had our local vet to help us. I think our bully was the only one in town.
I am having to adjust to the massive amount of information available for bulldog care now.
thanks again

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.