brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
It is normal. Regular food does not have as many fillers as kibble so you get less waste.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It is normal. Regular food does not have as many fillers as kibble so you get less waste.

Thank YOU! I know its still early on, but wanted to make sure. I figured he would this morning, but nothing. We'll see on evening walk. TY again.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank YOU! I know its still early on, but wanted to make sure. I figured he would this morning, but nothing. We'll see on evening walk. TY again.
Your welcome!
Just make sure you are feeding three times a day because without the fillers from the kibble he will be hungry.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Your welcome!
Just make sure you are feeding three times a day because without the fillers from the kibble he will be hungry.

Ah! The things you learn, ok. I just texted my hubs to feed him now since he's home for lunch. Tyson is hungry 24/7 - LOL :D

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom Well that is good news. My guys have both gotten Bacterial Infections in their tummies that have presented with blockage symptoms as well. They did well with all the same meds that Tyson sounds like he is on. I actually keep pepcid in the house now and if they seem to have an upset tummy, I will give one. When my guys have gone through this, I have kept them on the bland diet for at least 5 days. This helps to really settle the tummy and let whatever was going on resolve. I usually give boiled sirlion and rice three times a day and one cup at each serving. I stay away from chicken because Brutus is allergic, but if Tyson has no issues with it then chicken is fine. Good luck and keep me posted on his progress.
@2BullyMama @brutus77 Hey there - when your boys got bacterial infections, how did the vet determine that? Were they given antibiotics? Tyson is still not acting normal, he has his days I guess. I mean, he ate bland for 6 days, did fine. We started his kibble up yesterday, he ate yesterday. Today he didn't eat it all right away. He ended up going back to it & finishing afterwards. But he's also been smacking his lips (only at night) with a little drool. This happened Saturday night, not so much last night. He's been pooping. I know the vet said next step would be barium swallow, but I'm not so sure he's blocked.... I'm wondering if its more of an infection, acid reflux, something with his belly. Saturday his belly was making all kinds of gurgling noises, I tried to give him pepto, but he only got a small bit down. Just worried about him.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama @brutus77 Hey there - when your boys got bacterial infections, how did the vet determine that? Were they given antibiotics? Tyson is still not acting normal, he has his days I guess. I mean, he ate bland for 6 days, did fine. We started his kibble up yesterday, he ate yesterday. Today he didn't eat it all right away. He ended up going back to it & finishing afterwards. But he's also been smacking his lips (only at night) with a little drool. This happened Saturday night, not so much last night. He's been pooping. I know the vet said next step would be barium swallow, but I'm not so sure he's blocked.... I'm wondering if its more of an infection, acid reflux, something with his belly. Saturday his belly was making all kinds of gurgling noises, I tried to give him pepto, but he only got a small bit down. Just worried about him.
Both of my boys have had Bacterial Infections. Both were given xrays. Brutus was given pepcid and antibiotic and bland diet and he was better. Frankie had both an xray and an ultrasound because some of his blood levels were elevated. On xray it did look like they had a blockage but this is because with a Bacterial Infection gases build up in the tummy and takes on the look of a blockage. When Frankie had the ultrasound it was clear and he was sent home with antibiotics and pepcid as well as a bland diet and he did fine. If Tyson did not have an ultrasound at this point I might request it before the barium swallow. If you are trying to give pepto, always go with the pill form, it will make your life much easier. Also, you can buy plain pepcid over the counter and continue to give him one a day. I would give it in the morning and see how he does. Any more vomiting?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Have you tried Pepcid... you can give 1 pill that is what I used for Banks and Nitschke when they had upset belly. Also, Nitschke was allergic to rice (found out via blood allergy test) and he would not eat or throw up after eating. We had no idea why and then did the allergy test... once rice was out of the diet, he did not need any of that stuff. Not saying rice is your issue but could be something in the food

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Both of my boys have had Bacterial Infections. Both were given xrays. Brutus was given pepcid and antibiotic and bland diet and he was better. Frankie had both an xray and an ultrasound because some of his blood levels were elevated. On xray it did look like they had a blockage but this is because with a Bacterial Infection gases build up in the tummy and takes on the look of a blockage. When Frankie had the ultrasound it was clear and he was sent home with antibiotics and pepcid as well as a bland diet and he did fine. If Tyson did not have an ultrasound at this point I might request it before the barium swallow. If you are trying to give pepto, always go with the pill form, it will make your life much easier. Also, you can buy plain pepcid over the counter and continue to give him one a day. I would give it in the morning and see how he does. Any more vomiting?
@brutus77 @2BullyMama
I will pick up the Pepcid today. I had not tried that yet. No, he has not vomited anymore, thank goodness. I will call the vet this morning, and ask about an ultrasound. The X-rays were clear, but there was one little area in his belly that she said she couldn't really tell if it was food, shadow of his ribs, or actually something. Vet said to call back only if he threw up again, which he hasn't. I can just tell that he doesn't feel well, but its in waves. Because sometimes he just fine & normal, and then later he looks kinda down; which is what leads me to think it could be stomach related. We did start him on new kibble yesterday, lamb/lentil - he was on pork/peas. But I dont see him responding that quick if he doesnt like the food? He normally will pretty much inhale his food, then look for more.... so this morning when he didn't finish, I found it very odd. About 20 mins later when we came back to the kitchen, I went to pick up his bowl, but he went and finished it. I wonder if I need to go back to his original food before all these issues came up. I switched him from Natural Balance Salmon/Sweet Potato to FROMMS about a month ago bc he was suffering really bad from allergies/yeast. I just want him to feel better. I will see how he does with some Pepcid this afternoon.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Just wanna add my 2cents for whatever it's worth.

When you change food, even put them on a bland diet, it's going to upset their tummies and throw their bowel movements off. There's really mo way to get around it, especially if your bullie has a very sensitive stomach.

Right now, I just put Wellie back on his kibble. He was on boiled chicken with some rice for over a week and had 2 movements. He's now back on his kibble, and started going more regularly, but the consistency is, as my husband calls it, "chocolate pudding poo". I know it's going to take another week for it to get back to normal.
So I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

The other thing I want to mention is about obstruction. Blue had one but nothing really showed up on x-rays either. We knew he swallowed a squeaker though so insisted on a ultra-sound and there it was. So just because the x-ray doesn't show anything, doesn't mean there isn't an obstruction.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Just wanna add my 2cents for whatever it's worth.

When you change food, even put them on a bland diet, it's going to upset their tummies and throw their bowel movements off. There's really mo way to get around it, especially if your bullie has a very sensitive stomach.

Right now, I just put Wellie back on his kibble. He was on boiled chicken with some rice for over a week and had 2 movements. He's now back on his kibble, and started going more regularly, but the consistency is, as my husband calls it, "chocolate pudding poo". I know it's going to take another week for it to get back to normal.
So I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

The other thing I want to mention is about obstruction. Blue had one but nothing really showed up on x-rays either. We knew he swallowed a squeaker though so insisted on a ultra-sound and there it was. So just because the x-ray doesn't show anything, doesn't mean there isn't an obstruction.

Thank you [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] - I know it could be the transitioning phase, you are right. I have a message into the vet to see about getting an ultrasound. If the ultrasound comes back clear, I'll proceed with the barium swallow. But like you said, his belly could be adjusting to the food.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you @Blueberrys Mom - I know it could be the transitioning phase, you are right. I have a message into the vet to see about getting an ultrasound. If the ultrasound comes back clear, I'll proceed with the barium swallow. But like you said, his belly could be adjusting to the food.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]
Well, Tyson just peed a little blood. We're taking him in at 3pm. Pray for us. I knew something was up. Just worried sick now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So weird.. could be stones I guess.. maybe that's what caused the vomiting too if he was in pain :(

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious. Keep us posted.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sending prayers for Tyson, I just read this whole thread and I sure hope you can find out what's going on.... Poor baby! :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.