kennel cough...

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
My poor 4month old Betsy has kennel cough. She had her bordetella few weeks ago so I am hoping that it will not be too bad. No cough yet just congestion and almost sounds asthma. I will take her in tomorrow if it is worse but my vet normally does not give antibotics for kennel cough. anyone have any natural remedies? has anyone tried honey?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
poor girl! you can sit in the bathroom and fill it with steam to help clear her mucus

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Kennel Cough is Bordetella. Are you saying she had it a few weeks ago and has it again? Because if so, it's probably bacterial right now and she would need antibiotics.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Just wondering how long it takes the bordetella vaccine to take effect? Seems if she had it a few weeks ago, she shouldn't have gotten kennel cough. I know that the place I would board my dogs (if I ever boarded my dogs!) requires that dogs have the bordetella vaccine at least 3 days before they are boarded, so it must start working pretty quickly. I keep my dogs vaccinated just in case I have to board them in an emergency.

Also, I was reminded of something my vet told me when Winnie had her bordetella vaccine. I have a new, young vet who took over the practice of my old vet. I was surprised to see her give Winnie an injection rather than the squirt in the nose that my dogs had always gotten. When I asked her about it, she basically said that the squirt in the nose is a "joke" referring to some new study. Has anyone heard anything about the squirt vs. injection for bordetella?

I hope one your baby is better soon!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The vaccine only protects against a few strains, the most common ones. They can still get it. My bullie got it this summer and also had the shot.

The reason they give the shot instead of the nasal version is because it's safer for bulldogs. There's just a higher chance they get sick from the nasal vaccine.
All Bulldogs should get the injection. This isn't new.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Order some kennel-koff made by amber technolgy. As far as the vaccine goes it's pretty useless and does more harm than good to the immune system. As mentioned above it only protects against a few strains.
[h=1][/h]

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
apparently she does not have kennel cough. so weird. she woke up two nights ago completely congested. by noon it had moved full blown to her chest. by 3pm completely gone. very strange.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.