arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
Hello everyone,
Our poor 8 month old Bulldog Zoey has some wounds on her forehead from what must be due to scratching. She had demodectic mange at 5 months old and was treated with ivermectin and finally an Amitraz dip which seemed to clear it up. As of lately she's been scratching like mad and her forehead, chest, and by her ear always seems to be pink. She had a vet visit last month and they did a scraping for demodex and it was negative. The vet said she believes she has allergies and gave her temeril P which has been helping her. I tapered off the Temeril P and the itching returned. Yesterday I was giving her a bath and got a good look at her chest and saw what appeared to be a flea. I went to the vet's office yesterday and picked up a Comfortis tab. I didn't notice any activity from fleas after giving the tablet to her. I hope that maybe fleas have IMG_2184.jpgIMG_2186.jpgbeen causing her allergies not food or environmental allergies. I'm not sure what these sores on her head are. Could they be due to yeast?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What is the texture like.... wet/moist or dry/scaly? is the fur coming off when you touch it

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
What is the texture like.... wet/moist or dry/scaly? is the fur coming off when you touch it
Fur is not coming off, seems somewhat moist but scabby. I cleaned away the the crust. It looks like 2 split lines that open when you flatten her wrinkles on her forehead

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Be careful with Comfortis. It's no better than Trifexis.

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
Be careful with Comfortis. It's no better than Trifexis.
What should I watch out for with Comfortis? I just gave her her first tablet yesterday with no ill effects so far.

I hope our dog is not going through another bout of demodex and it was missed by our vet last visit.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Comfortis is spinosaid. A poison originally developed to help farmers by attacking the nervous system of insects, causing rapid death. Trifexis also contains spinosad...along with another drug.

This article is about Trifexis....but when reading it, keep in mind that Comfortis is ONLY Spinosad whereas Trifexis is Spinosad and Milbemycin Oxime.

Trifexis has killed more dogs per day then it's been on the market. The parent company, Eli Lily, denies there is any correlation between the two. But if it were a drug used to treat humans, it would have been removed from the market by now.

Pets at Risk

The fact that it is known to attack nervous systems and rapidly kill insects makes it a "NEVER, NO WAY IN HELL would I ever give it to my pet" type of drug. No way in hell would I give it to my skin child....nor my fur child.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You could bathe her in Dawn dish soap. Let her sit soaped up for a few minutes, and then rinse well. That will kill any fleas that are on her. You could use something such as diatomeceous earth-food grade. It is a fine power, and will get your house kinda' powdery, but it is good if it gets in the rugs, and dog beds,too. You could get the other grade and spread it around outside. It is fairly cheap(get it in feed supply) If your dogs licks the food grade it will not hurt. Some dogs have flea allergy and it only takes one flea to mess them up! You could also try Avon Skin so soft bath oil.

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
Comfortis is spinosaid. A poison originally developed to help farmers by attacking the nervous system of insects, causing rapid death. Trifexis also contains spinosad...along with another drug.

This article is about Trifexis....but when reading it, keep in mind that Comfortis is ONLY Spinosad whereas Trifexis is Spinosad and Milbemycin Oxime.

Trifexis has killed more dogs per day then it's been on the market. The parent company, Eli Lily, denies there is any correlation between the two. But if it were a drug used to treat humans, it would have been removed from the market by now.

Pets at Risk

The fact that it is known to attack nervous systems and rapidly kill insects makes it a "NEVER, NO WAY IN HELL would I ever give it to my pet" type of drug. No way in hell would I give it to my skin child....nor my fur child.
Thank you for the warning I will definitely be cautious with any flea meds I give her.

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
You could bathe her in Dawn dish soap. Let her sit soaped up for a few minutes, and then rinse well. That will kill any fleas that are on her. You could use something such as diatomeceous earth-food grade. It is a fine power, and will get your house kinda' powdery, but it is good if it gets in the rugs, and dog beds,too. You could get the other grade and spread it around outside. It is fairly cheap(get it in feed supply) If your dogs licks the food grade it will not hurt. Some dogs have flea allergy and it only takes one flea to mess them up! You could also try Avon Skin so soft bath oil.
Thank you very much for the tip on bathing in Dawn to kill any live fleas. I only noticed one, but I know these guys are so sensitive to allergens that one flea can cause a reaction.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My dog Wally just went thru a bought of demodex mange… his was spreading so we opted to do the dips. During the dips we did use Advantage Multi every 2 weeks, for some reason it helps to keep the mange from returning. SO FAR we have NOT seen any return of the mange, but we still use Advantage for his flea/worm treatment. Does your vet offer this treatment?!!

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
My dog Wally just went thru a bought of demodex mange… his was spreading so we opted to do the dips. During the dips we did use Advantage Multi every 2 weeks, for some reason it helps to keep the mange from returning. SO FAR we have NOT seen any return of the mange, but we still use Advantage for his flea/worm treatment. Does your vet offer this treatment?!!
Thank you, I will have to check if they have advantage multi.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

Pets at Risk

Do you know anything about Bravecto? We gave it to Blue and Wellie back in September. It's a prescription tick/flea medication that's given orally and works for three months.
The active ingredient is Fluralaner.

I like that's it easy to give and I haven't read or heard about serious side effects. But I'm still concerned about giving it again since it's a fairly new product.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Do you know anything about Bravecto? We gave it to Blue and Wellie back in September. It's a prescription tick/flea medication that's given orally and works for three months.
The active ingredient is Fluralaner.

I like that's it easy to give and I haven't read or heard about serious side effects. But I'm still concerned about giving it again since it's a fairly new product.

I've never even heard of the drug. I work in a pharmacy that sells pet meds, and I've not heard of it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've never even heard of the drug. I work in a pharmacy that sells pet meds, and I've not heard of it.

Yeah, that's why I asked you.

I got it from a vet we don't usually use when I thought Wellie had fleas. She said it's a great product and I do like it.. but again, not sure if I should give it again. Especially since it's winter here and they
don't really need a flea medication now that it's cold.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I would Google it. Read as many articles you can about it. Find out what the active ingredient does. I wouldn't go to the pet med site, instead I would go to other sites that don't depend on the sales of the drug for their business.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.