URGENT!!! Winnie has hives everywhere!

hilarylogan

May 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Our poor little guy has broken out in hives. However, this is not the first time it has happened. We believe it was caused from some bushes he discovered earlier today. I am trying to avoid the animal hospital if at all possible. I have given him about 50mg of benadryl about an hour ago. Does anyone have any advice on anything else I can do for my little guy? Thank you all in advance!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Usually the dose is 1 mg. per pound of body weight, but when they have a bad allergic reaction which sounds like what he has, you can give 2 mg. per pound of body weight. Hope your baby gets better soon.

OP
H

hilarylogan

May 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you! They have gone down a lot!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you! They have gone down a lot!

Continue w/the benadryl and if you notice ANY breathing issues head to an emergency vet STAT!!!

OP
H

hilarylogan

May 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I will definitely do that! How many hours should I wait between doses?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
You can also give him a room temp/cool (not cold) bath if the itching is bothering him. The benedryl should help, though. When Lola had hives all over (turkey-induced), I think I was more affected than she was. Visually it was very frightening, but Lola wasn't really itchy at all. They went down in two days.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Great advice above. I would definitely get rid of the bushes or fence them off. We hope Winston gets well soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
H

hilarylogan

May 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
He is just about to get a bath, we will most definitely be removing the bushes, and he is doing better today just sleeping mostly. Thank you everyone for your help and concern! I will keep you posted throughout the day! image.jpg

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
We have a Winnie too! My boxers and Bulldogs have had hives occasionally through the years. Ours were always caused by insect bites, even though we could rarely find the actual bite. One particular time I remember with my bully Rosie, we headed straight for the emergency vet. Her face was swollen and she was having trouble breathing. Hives didn't seem to bother them much.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is just about to get a bath, we will most definitely be removing the bushes, and he is doing better today just sleeping mostly. Thank you everyone for your help and concern! I will keep you posted throughout the day! View attachment 81714

Sweet baby.... Bad, bad bushes!

OP
H

hilarylogan

May 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We have a Winnie too! My boxers and Bulldogs have had hives occasionally through the years. Ours were always caused by insect bites, even though we could rarely find the actual bite. One particular time I remember with my bully Rosie, we headed straight for the emergency vet. Her face was swollen and she was having trouble breathing. Hives didn't seem to bother them much.
we had to run to vet for the same thing once! Poor babies. They are so sweet but have bad luck with their skin 😔 my husband actually named Winnie and I fell in love with it!

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
My boxer puppy got hives really bad a few months ago.mi started giving him Benadryl but that didn't seem to do much good so ?I called the vet and they said I could also give him Zyrtec. Once that was given the hives went away!!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
My boxer puppy got hives really bad a few months ago.mi started giving him Benadryl but that didn't seem to do much good so ?I called the vet and they said I could also give him Zyrtec. Once that was given the hives went away!!

Good to know about the Zyrtec! When my first boxer puppy got hives the first time, I remember it so well, I was relaxing in a hot tub. She came in and leaned her face on the side of the tub, I looked at her and her face was swollen so much she looked like a bulldog--it sooo freaked me out!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.