Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
Hey..I've been feeding my 3 year old bulldog Wellness complete health for her whole adult life. A few months ago she develops these strange patches on her back where the hair disappears and then slowly appears to be coming back but we are not sure. It doesn't bother her but we just hate the way it looks. My vet can't seem to figure out what it is and the next step is a biopsy, which I really don't wanna do.. Ringworm has been ruled out. Here's a picture of her today..anyone have any ideas? So my question is, should I switch her to grain free core wellness ? Is grain free much better for bulldogs.. . Thanks so much, any help is appreciated.. Gigi. Joe(her dad) lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 130

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Did your vet do a skin scrape?!! That would be the best way to determine what's going on… it could very well be allergy related. I feed both my dogs grain-free, bullies are very prone to allergies. Anything new around the house… floor cleaners, laundry detergent, food, etc…?!!

OP
G

Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
Thanks for your input..ya they did a scrape thinking it was ringworm, which it wasn't. I did a little research and thought it may be flank alopecia and the vet agreed it wouldn't hurt to try giving her melatonin for a month. So we are like a week into the melatonin but if this doesn't help I'm outta ideas. I guess we'd then have to do the biopsy. I'm just unsure if I should switch her to grain free food as well.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks for your input..ya they did a scrape thinking it was ringworm, which it wasn't. I did a little research and thought it may be flank alopecia and the vet agreed it wouldn't hurt to try giving her melatonin for a month. So we are like a week into the melatonin but if this doesn't help I'm outta ideas. I guess we'd then have to do the biopsy. I'm just unsure if I should switch her to grain free food as well.

My bully Bella had flank alopecia, but it would appear as thinning hair on her sides not a big patch of missing hair. Bella also had ringworm, that was extremely hard to get rid off… I will tag some members to see if they have any other ideas. Grain free food is always a good option for bully's, but I'm not sure that is what's causing the missing hair patch.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Did they test for staph infection? I would go grain free... will not hurt

dfmccitroen

Oct 14, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
My bulldog had the same issue although not quite as bad, I changed her food to wainwrights grain free and it's almost completely cured the issue, I will not use any other food from now on, so much better with less additives than grained foods

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.