ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear that Jewel wasn't feeling better today, but at least NOW they know what is going on… I have heard of pancreatitis, but I have NO idea about the symptoms or anything.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Jewel's whimpering, especially since she doesn't normally do it, would'a
done me in, how awful ;(

Grateful there is a cause & a dx and that it can be managed. Please keep us
informed when she gets to come home...continuing prayers & loving hugs
sent to all.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am so sorry to hear Jewel has Pancreatitis. I am glad that it can be treated and she will recover. I am praying your baby is healthy and home with you soon.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
How is Jewel doing today?!!

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Update 1015 hours 12/18. @Blueberrys Mom [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] and Forum we saw Jewel yesterday and she was 100% better than the day before and the fact she had a Fentanyl (?sp) patch on. We took Bentley with us because yesterday morning he laid in front of Jewel's crate and just stared at it. It was a very nice reunion and Bentley was more content last night. Jewel was very alert, oriented and glad to see us. The hospital staff provided chicken and some dietary kibble which at the end of our visit partly came back up probably from all the excitement and a short walk outside.

As of this morning, Jewel is doing better and did not have any vomiting during the night. She is eating and the best part of all....she is being discharged this evening (i.e. provided nothing goes awry during the day today).

Again...thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, positive vibes, and kind words of encouragement.

In hindsight, keep an eye on how much fat one is giving to our bullies. Eventhough what I thought was in moderation (i.e. a little piece of lunch meat here or a small slice of steak on steak night ) plus the 18% Crude fat in Fromm Beef Frittata coupled with a daily Tbs of coconut oil and low-fat Greek yogurt as well as some training treats all adds up and made me a bad daddy for my little girl.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yaaaaaaaay.. that's wonderful news. I can imagine how relieved you are.

Regarding the fat, I'm keeping it in mind now since this is the second case I've heard of in less than 2 weeks. In my case it's a little easier since I do't give any oil or yogurt. But we are guilty of the occasional table scrap.
But a treat for ours is boiled chicken breast..lol.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Yaaaaaaaay.. that's wonderful news. I can imagine how relieved you are.

Regarding the fat, I'm keeping it in mind now since this is the second case I've heard of in less than 2 weeks. In my case it's a little easier since I do't give any oil or yogurt. But we are guilty of the occasional table scrap.
But a treat for ours is boiled chicken breast..lol.

Well the boiled chicken and mushy rice will be the diet for a few days.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update 1015 hours 12/18. @Blueberrys Mom @ddnene and Forum we saw Jewel yesterday and she was 100% better than the day before and the fact she had a Fentanyl (?sp) patch on. We took Bentley with us because yesterday morning he laid in front of Jewel's crate and just stared at it. It was a very nice reunion and Bentley was more content last night. Jewel was very alert, oriented and glad to see us. The hospital staff provided chicken and some dietary kibble which at the end of our visit partly came back up probably from all the excitement and a short walk outside.

As of this morning, Jewel is doing better and did not have any vomiting during the night. She is eating and the best part of all....she is being discharged this evening (i.e. provided nothing goes awry during the day today).

Again...thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, positive vibes, and kind words of encouragement.

In hindsight, keep an eye on how much fat one is giving to our bullies. Eventhough what I thought was in moderation (i.e. a little piece of lunch meat here or a small slice of steak on steak night ) plus the 18% Crude fat in Fromm Beef Frittata coupled with a daily Tbs of coconut oil and low-fat Greek yogurt as well as some training treats all adds up and made me a bad daddy for my little girl.

I'm so glad to hear that Jewel is coming home tonight, made my day!!! :w00t:

I'm surprised to hear about the yogurt & coconut oil… did your vet talk to you about the fats in their diet?!!

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so glad to hear that Jewel is coming home tonight, made my day!!! :w00t:

I'm surprised to hear about the yogurt & coconut oil… did your vet talk to you about the fats in their diet?!!

I have been doing some research into pacreatitis and the amount of fat a bully should/can have. For now, Jewel will be on a low-fat bland diet that I know after talking to the Internal Med vet the other night. We will find more about the diet tonight. But the main overall contributing factor to her illness was the fats in the foods. I will probably do a write-up on this escapade and post. It will make mommies and daddies aware of what is hidden in foods.

I think the biggest thing was the fact the one organ pancrease can affect the liver which was what the initial bloodwork was leading one to conclude.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have been doing some research into pacreatitis and the amount of fat a bully should/can have. For now, Jewel will be on a low-fat bland diet that I know after talking to the Internal Med vet the other night. We will find more about the diet tonight. But the main overall contributing factor to her illness was the fats in the foods. I will probably do a write-up on this escapade and post. It will make mommies and daddies aware of what is hidden in foods.

I would defiantly be interested in that… now that Roxie has cushings pancreatitis is VERY common in cushings pups. I would like to know what I need to do to keep that from happening…

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

That's what they told my friend, too much fat in the diet.

It's kind of crazy too, the things we give them to keep them healthy, can actually make them sick. The only reason Blue and Wellie don't get either item, is because Blue has terrible allergies that I'm scared of aggravating by giving him too many things.
And Wellie doesn't get what Blue can't eat..lol..

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hoping that the good progress has continued for Jewel and she will be coming home. I know [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] did not do anything intentional to cause this at all and this is another (the hard way)"learning" experience for all of us.. But I do know that holiday time is also pancreatitis time for many dogs,(having worked for a vet..) as they get too many Christmas handouts. Be careful out there -don't let the relatives be "too kind" to your babies, as many think they are being good to the dogs by(sneaking) giving them extra goodies. Some breeds are more prone to problems-as we all know! Continued prayers for Jewel!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I think the biggest thing was the fact the one organ pancrease can affect the liver which was what the initial bloodwork was leading one to conclude.

So happy to hear she is doing better and coming home... and best of all you know what is going on. Hugs to you all... Bentley will be back to normal and happy to see his sister back in her crate.
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] -- I see an article in the making

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.