nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I know all too well how it feels when our bullies are in the hospital :(.
Hopefully this isn't anything serious.. just a bug that'll pass on it's own quickly.

Hugs and prayers to you.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I know all too well how it feels when our bullies are in the hospital :(.
Hopefully this isn't anything serious.. just a bug that'll pass on it's own quickly.

Hugs and prayers to you.

Thanks.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Update 11:30 am 12/16/14. I just got off the phone with the animal hospital. Jewel is doing OK. She is not vomiting and they really have not fed her due to the scheduled ultrasound. At this time they are calling this an acute event that is increasing her liver enzymes possibly caused by the secondary infection (i.e. UTI). She is on an IV, liver meds, and an antiemetic. She is alert and oriented, and showing everyone love watching everything in the ICU. Her clotting factors are fine which is a good sign. Depending on how the ultrasound turns out, they might do (well probably will), perform a lipid biopsy using a spine needle and aspirate some cells for evaluation.

The doctor asked if we had mushrooms in the backyard and I told her we killed them off as they have seen a few of this acute liver event this year which was caused by the mushrooms. I told the doctor that Jewel is supervised going out but that is possible. Also asked if we just opened a new bag of food and I said yes...but Bentley eats the same food and presently is OK. We also were asked where we live and told her it is considered rural. We have the usual critters running in the backyard...groundhogs, skunks, raccoons, deer, possums, etc. Jewel and Bentley did have a vaccination for Leptospirosis.

My wife and I will be going to see Jewel at 5pm at which time the Ultrasound should be finished as well as the lipid biopsy.

Again, thanks for all the prayers and positive vibes.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wow, if waiting today to get your report was this hard on me,
just wow. Some good things to hear about Jewel so guess more
prayers for WHAT is happening and meds to fix it!

Wrapping cyber arms around y'all & butt scratches for Bentley.
Please don't get what goes to who, could be embarrassing ;)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for the update. It sounds like she's feeling fine which is a great sign. Still hoping it's just some random bug that will pass on it's own.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW… just WOW!!!
I'm glad to hear that she's doing better, but like you said this is confusing… I hope that they figure out what is going on soon!!! We are still sending prayers :pray: Hang in there!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update 11:30 am 12/16/14. I just got off the phone with the animal hospital. Jewel is doing OK. She is not vomiting and they really have not fed her due to the scheduled ultrasound. At this time they are calling this an acute event that is increasing her liver enzymes possibly caused by the secondary infection (i.e. UTI). She is on an IV, liver meds, and an antiemetic. She is alert and oriented, and showing everyone love watching everything in the ICU. Her clotting factors are fine which is a good sign. Depending on how the ultrasound turns out, they might do (well probably will), perform a lipid biopsy using a spine needle and aspirate some cells for evaluation.

The doctor asked if we had mushrooms in the backyard and I told her we killed them off as they have seen a few of this acute liver event this year which was caused by the mushrooms. I told the doctor that Jewel is supervised going out but that is possible. Also asked if we just opened a new bag of food and I said yes...but Bentley eats the same food and presently is OK. We also were asked where we live and told her it is considered rural. We have the usual critters running in the backyard...groundhogs, skunks, raccoons, deer, possums, etc. Jewel and Bentley did have a vaccination for Leptospirosis.

My wife and I will be going to see Jewel at 5pm at which time the Ultrasound should be finished as well as the lipid biopsy.

Again, thanks for all the prayers and positive vibes.

wow... dam mushrooms, i am so paranoid about them, i am always walking the yard pulling them from the grass. Hope the find some reason so you can know how to treat -- continued prayers

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update 1900 hours 12/16/14. We saw Jewel this evening and she looked worse than when we dropped her off. We walked her and tried to feed her but we were not in her good graces. We got the severe STINK EYE. She puked for us which is probably why she did not eat as her belly was upset from all the activity. We were advised she has been through a lot of tests during the day coupled with pain meds given to her prior to us arriving. She was wimpering for the very first time. I told the clinician Jewel should go back to bed as she was not herself.

Well Jewel has Pancreatitis per the ultrasound. It is so bad that it has affected the liver to increase the production of enzymes. And she has a UTI. We still do not know the culprit of all this. Based on the evaluation, we now have a game plan on what needs to be done. One thing, Jewel will be on a special diet (i.e. low protein). She is going to stay at the hospital and hopefully come home on Thursday maybe Friday because of her serum levels being so high.

Hopefully she can get some rest tonight and feel better for our visit tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the prayers, well wishes, and positive vibes.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sorry to hear about Jewel. I will be praying for her recovery. I know that can be very painful. I know you wouldn't feed her junk, but a lot of dogs wind up with that around the holidays-due to people feeding them too much "holiday" food and treats. Hope she is well very soon. Prayers for Mom and Dad who are worried!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Update 1900 hours 12/16/14. We saw Jewel this evening and she looked worse than when we dropped her off. We walked her and tried to feed her but we were not in her good graces. We got the severe STINK EYE. She puked for us which is probably why she did not eat as her belly was upset from all the activity. We were advised she has been through a lot of tests during the day coupled with pain meds given to her prior to us arriving. She was wimpering for the very first time. I told the clinician Jewel should go back to bed as she was not herself.

Well Jewel has Pancreatitis per the ultrasound. It is so bad that it has affected the liver to increase the production of enzymes. And she has a UTI. We still do not know the culprit of all this. Based on the evaluation, we now have a game plan on what needs to be done. One thing, Jewel will be on a special diet (i.e. low protein). She is going to stay at the hospital and hopefully come home on Thursday maybe Friday because of her serum levels being so high.

Hopefully she can get some rest tonight and feel better for our visit tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the prayers, well wishes, and positive vibes.

I'm so sorry to hear this but it can be treated.

Recently, someone posted on one of my FB groups that her bullie was also diagnosed with Pancreatitis. She said they believe the cause
was the coconut oil and yogurt they were giving her. Said it was too much fat for her bulldog to handle.

Just throwing it out there since you're still looking for the cause.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry to hear this but it can be treated.

Recently, someone posted on one of my FB groups that her bullie was also diagnosed with Pancreatitis. She said they believe the cause
was the coconut oil and yogurt they were giving her. Said it was too much fat for her bulldog to handle.

Just throwing it out there since you're still looking for the cause.
Thanks for that information. We give Jewel both.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I can ask her for more info. if you'd like? Or if you're on FB, I can just give you her info. and you can message her.
I can bring it to the doctors attention. This could be a contributing factor. Thanks.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.