Eggo Romeo

Dec 10, 2014
Hi all,

New to this forum so if this question has been asked, I apologize.

My 5 yr old english bully Eggo is suffering from a bout of hotspots. It started when we moved to a more humid, rainy climate and exploded a couple of days ago. I had been bathing him in some antibacterial shampoo given my the vet and antifungal. He's now on myacitacin (sp ?) since 2 days ago. Last night his hotspots were spreading so I took him to emergency. They clipped down the fur around his neck and under his tail. His tail was badly infected (I had cleaned and dried it as much as I could but its very tender for him and he'd run away and move faster than I knew a bully could). His neck is immensely better, but his tail pocket is still deep red from what I can see but it does look dry. However, he refuses to defecate and when he's standing he tucks his bum and tries running away from the pain...he's really tough so it must hurt him very badly. I have a topical spray given by the doctor DermaCool HC and pain meds Trazadol. Has anyone ever had this before? Is it normal for him to run away, tuck his bum and not want to go outside? And most importantly how long does it take to heal?

I changed his food from D/D science diet to Acana lamb and apple to try and make it better, but I don't think its a food allergy as much an environmental one. We have an appt with the dermatologist on Friday. In the meantime, I just don't know what to do for his tail. He'll have to go sooner or later...right?

Would appreciate anything as he is my whole entire world! The most important person in my life is my little Eggo.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor baby! Sounds like he's got a horrible infection in his tail pocket. He may also be constipated now from holding it due to pain, which probably isn't helping. Have you tried putting gold bond powder on it? Maybe a butt soak in cool water? I've never heard of that spray, seems like he would need a strong topical antibiotic/anti fungal/steroid to help with healing like panalog ointment.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok the spray that you have has 1% hydrocortisone so basically it's just a small amount of steroid- which is good, but if your little Eggo has a bacterial or fungal infection that spray just won't take care of the underlying issue. Can you call the vet and ask for panalog , animax or entoderm ointment to put on his tail pocket as well?

OP
E

Eggo Romeo

Dec 10, 2014
Thank you so much for responding!

Unfortunately I was told by both Eggo's regular vet and the ER doctor that I can't give him any other creams because of his dermatologist appointment tomorrow and it could taint what ever results they're looking to find. The good news is that we woke this morning and little nugget is doing better. His neck sores are almost healed. Last night one was starting to spread so I cleaned it with water and chlorexedine, then sprayed it with the dermacool. I also dapped a little sulphur solution on it and something of those things worked because its dry this morning and did not spread. I can't clean his tail pocket yet as its too tender, but it is dry. He went to the bathroom this morning and happily played with his squishy. It helps when he plays because he lifts his tail so it can air out. It looks like there are some remnants of dried blood, but overall his skin is less purple/red surrounding the pocket. Its still dark directly underneath the tail and certainly that's from the infection but also maybe its a dark area regardless? It never sees the light that's for sure. He tried to run away from himself this morning but I sprayed the dermacool underneath his tail. He hated it at first but I gave him a little treat after and it was ok. The tail pocket is better than yesterday. So, he is healing although slowly.

How this all started were scabs where he'd lose fur. No vet could figure it out despite rounds of antibiotics. Those scabs are still there which makes me think its probably something that has to be treated topically. The scabs are not hotspots. I've attached a couple of pictures of the scabby areas and the hotspot. I was bathing him regularly but didn't dry his tail pocket well enough (he'd never had an infection there before despite soaking in the lake and ocean during summer and baths) so he developed the infection. Sometimes you try to do good and only make things worse :( I'll never forgive myself for that so for anyone reading who thinks their bully is immune to those - dry the tail pocket, please. Anyway, I think his little body couldn't take it anymore and bam, hotspots. I've read they can develop from an underlying yeast infection in the ears, face, tail.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_1266.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_1307.JPG
    IMG_1307.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_1308.JPG
    IMG_1308.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 539

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my! Poor baby- those look very sore. You say he still has these spots too? Looking forward to hearing what the vet says tomorrow. Let us know what they find out.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor baby, I'm glad you got him off the Science diet food, as it is not a very good food, and food can cause these skin issues. I will be interested to hear what the dermatologist says about him.

OP
E

Eggo Romeo

Dec 10, 2014
Hi guys!

We went to an amazing dermatologist yesterday. Eggo got an allergy test done and he's allergic to dust and storage mites so far. We moved to a new location two months ago (about when the allergies started to appear) so I've ripped out the carpet and am getting rid of any old pillows, his bed and the couch. I'm still waiting to find out if he's allergic to mold in the air or his food. I don't think it is his food, but the dermatologist says with bullies they can become allergic to new kibble anywhere from 6 months - 2 yrs if they suffer allergies. He also said that home cooked food is the absolute best and that almost 100% of allergy prone bullies no longer suffer food allergies when given home cooked meals like potatoes or rice with a protein the dog isn't allergic to. To remedy Eggo he's on antibiotics, topical ointment and shampoo that kills staph infection.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi guys!

We went to an amazing dermatologist yesterday. Eggo got an allergy test done and he's allergic to dust and storage mites so far. We moved to a new location two months ago (about when the allergies started to appear) so I've ripped out the carpet and am getting rid of any old pillows, his bed and the couch. I'm still waiting to find out if he's allergic to mold in the air or his food. I don't think it is his food, but the dermatologist says with bullies they can become allergic to new kibble anywhere from 6 months - 2 yrs if they suffer allergies. He also said that home cooked food is the absolute best and that almost 100% of allergy prone bullies no longer suffer food allergies when given home cooked meals like potatoes or rice with a protein the dog isn't allergic to. To remedy Eggo he's on antibiotics, topical ointment and shampoo that kills staph infection.

Poor guy! so glad you got an answer and you are getting him off the kibble. Best of luck and please keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online