General Question Stenonic nare surgey question

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi- I took Buddy. my 2 1/2 year old male ebd to the non profit vet in my area for his yearly blood work and the vet there said he definitely looks like he could benefit from the stenotic nare enlargement. I know he's right. at times I hear Buddy whistling through his nose. One side evidently is worst than the other. I called my vet to have the vet there who did Buddy's p/u surgery back a year or so ago call me but Simmons vet has changed. Evidently it is now The VCA / Simmons vet and the owner has sold part or some of his business to this large corporation who is nationwide. There are only 2 of the original vets remaining there that have been there for any length of time ( out of 9) and one- I do not like nor trust. I have a question- Is this a pretty basic surgery for these types of dogs ? ( Bulldog's. Frenchie's. Pug's ect) that need it - In that meaning, should I be overly concerned as to the vet who does the surgery or is it basic enough where ( under great care of course) that I need not be picky as to the vet who does it? Also I am going to ask them to look at his palate while he is sedated to see how it looks but I do not think I want Buddy to go through both at the same time. The breeder said his Dad and Mom's paletes were fine and if I choose to do his nare's to ask them to just open them slightly ( like they'll listen right) Thanks everyone

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You should always be concerned when a bulldog goes in for surgery, even if it's the most basic kind like a neuter. The reason for this is aside from wanting someone with experience so they don't butcher your dogs nares (you don't want them cutting too much or too little), you also need someone that has major experience with bulldogs and anesthesia.

You sound happy with the vet you used for Buddy's other surgery (p/u?). So maybe try to find out where they practice now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You should always be concerned when a bulldog goes in for surgery, even if it's the most basic kind like a neuter. The reason for this is aside from wanting someone with experience so they don't butcher your dogs nares (you don't want them cutting too much or too little), you also need someone that has major experience with bulldogs and anesthesia.

You sound happy with the vet you used for Buddy's other surgery (p/u?). So maybe try to find out where they practice now.

^^^ well said! Also, if the palate needs to be done, you do want it done at the same time as you want the least amount of time under anesthesia as possible. Find a knowledgable Bulldog vet, even if it means driving an hour or two... int is best as things can go bad very quickly when a Bulldog is sedated.

good luck --- keep us posted

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We just had our Wheezies mares done and yes all and any surgeries are risky but this was so worth it for her over all health.She ended up having to go back after a week because she was licking her nose so much she rapidly dissolved the stitches in one side but she just gave her a local and restitched.Her breathing is way better but it isn't a cure all.Good luck with your baby hope you find a great vet...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would find a good bully vet and let him do both at the same time if the palate needs done.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks for the input everyone. Interesting that you guys suggest doing the palate at the same time as the nares. I would think the trauma would be a little more incapacitating doing both at the same time. Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the input everyone. Interesting that you guys suggest doing the palate at the same time as the nares. I would think the trauma would be a little more incapacitating doing both at the same time. Thank you

Both my boys had it all done at once and did great after... only about 5 day recovery and it is limited activity and soft food

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
For a good bulldog vet those procedures are pretty routine. As the others suggested its best to get both done at the same time if necessary. They most important thing is finding a vet that is familiar with the breed & and its issues.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've received great advice already, and I was going to tag BlueberrysMom, as she just had her two babies done, but she already replied to you. I also agree with doing both surgeries at the same time to avoid having to put Buddy under anesthetic twice. We had Blossom spayed and her cherry eye repairs done at the same time for the same reason.

Most Reactions

Members online