General Question Scabs/Bumps - Had anyone seen this before?

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
Hello All... I have just recently noticed that my boy Gunner has these little scabs or bumps on his coat. I was finding them yesterday when I was giving him a good scratch down. He is not covered in them, but the are sporadic, but enough that made me notice. They don't seem to bother him and his not scratching at them. I can pick them off and it looks like a little dried bloody scab and hair comes off too. No major changes in diet... We feed him Fromms.

Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts? Should I plan a visit to the vet?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 188

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:hmm: they look very small, maybe he got a few hives or something? If he gets worse I would take him in, but if they are dried up and going away I would wait and see.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
might be a minor staph infection.... Nitschke use to get them a lot. Round of a strong antibiotic will clear it up.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace gets those too on occasions, sporadic as well, with only one or two appearing at a time and they go away about as fast as they appear. Don't know what causes it but its not wide spread nor do they last or cause any hair loss or very little. Usually they simply rub right off as well and leave no wound. So I don't know what causes them but at this point, unless they get worse, I'm not that concerned.

ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Is there less fur around those areas? How old is he? My pup has Demodex (mites) right now and the spot is a little scabby. Could be staph though.

victorf55

Oct 22, 2014
fort worth Tx
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
chibs
[MENTION=13273]SMammers816[/MENTION] did you ever figure out what your bully has? I believe mine is going through this at the moment, ive tried coconut oil, hibiclens, douxo pads and nothing seems to cure it, any help will be appreciated

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We have experience with Demodex on our girl but there hasn't ever been any live mites.She gets these raised red areas that are kind of scabby and the vet just scrapes them.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I just saw this post, and wanted to see what it was, because just tonight my son was petting Blossom on her head and found two of the same bumps and scabs as you describe. They are on her head by her right ear, and I was able to scratch off the scab with no hair loss and no bleeding. I have seen her scratch her head with her paw, and was wondering if she maybe scratched herself? She does have several food allergies, and we are also feeding Fromm's. I will be watching this thread to see if anyone else has experience with this, or knows what causes them. Please keep me posted on what you find out as well.

victorf55

Oct 22, 2014
fort worth Tx
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
chibs
I just took mine to the vet and he had somethjng very somilar. They are scabs but hair does come off when pulled and the area is red and bumby. He was diagnosed with localized demodex mange, he is now on treatments [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for the update and the information Victor. How many bumps did Chibs have? Blossom had two, I looked under her hair and don't see anything, but will definetely keep an eye on it and take her to the vet if she gets anymore.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Boris used to have the same issue, but his skin was also very dry. We changed foods and started giving him Coconut oil and have not seen it since!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Do you hava any other dogs that Gunner plays with? Winnie had similar boo boos from playing rough with Jack. She then got Demodex. With that, she just had a couple of small bare spots (no hair) and at most a faint pink color to her skin. Caught early, Demodex isn't a big deal to treat. All dogs have the Demodex mites, their immune systems usually take care of it though. Let us know what it turns out to be!

OP
SMammers816

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
The little scabs ended up going away on Gunner and have not been back since. We did take him to the vet to get a booster shot and the vet checked out the scabs. She said she was not concerned by them and said they were most likely due to dry skin and coat changes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.