Wrinkle removal from face

karlajgee

Jun 13, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy
So I took Murphy to the vet yesterday because the wrinkles on the side of his face looked infected. We ended up getting an antibiotic but the vet also recommended that we have surgery on his face to get rid of the wrinkles so that they wouldn't get infected anymore (they have gotten infected a couple times even though we try to wipe him down fairly often). Has anyone ever heard of this? Personally, I thought it was weird and did not even know they did this kind of thing.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thats a new one on me, never heard of that before. Wrinkles are part of English Bulldogs. :(

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
When I had Duallys eyes done the vet suggested that we remove his nose wrinkle and some around his eyes so he wouldn't have problems when he got older. I couldn't imagine my baby without his wrinkles so I refused.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've heard of it before.. but it's very rare for a vet to recommend.
To be honest, if my vet ever said this, I'd change vets. Only a vet not familiar with the hygiene requirements of a bulldog would ever recommend surgery.
The infections and yeast can be controlled. Just need to be consistent and use the right products.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've heard of it, but don't recommend it. What are you feeding him? Skin problems can be caused by something in the food.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Karla, read up on proper cleaning & correct products listed under Forums.
It must be a daily thing, also, what do you feed, common cause of yeast
& infections. Use glass or stainless steel bowls for feeding/watering and
wash in soapy water & lil bleach every couple days.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
About 15 years ago we had this procedure done on our allergy girl Sara (RIP). We also did allergy testing and she had homemade allergy shots that contained antibodies. This was way before the internet blessed us with so much information. It did help her a little, as she was rubbing her face raw causing huge scabs on her face, she rubbed it on the rugs and couches to itch. There was no great products to clean with that my vet ever prescribed me, only ear wash to clean her folds which only seemed to make her worse.

Now after years of reading on EBN, I would not have done the procedure. Although they didn't remove the wrinkles entirely, just reduced them heavily. Food change was the biggest thing that finally helped her, and using the good wrinkle cleaning products that are available now.

Panalog ointment, Douxo pads, malacetic otic ultra, witch hazel, these are just some of the things I wish I had known about, along with a great food!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
can you post a picture of your boy? I have heard of this but only in exterme cases, agree with others... food change may help or even giving some Benedryl to less tearing

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Our doggy ophthalmologist will do this when doing eye surgeries apparently.. I guess only when the folds are really deep and an issue.. ( she is very reputable, and I'd never go to a dif eye doc ) I've been using Otomax in her nose fold and it's been working great.. Only need to use it once a week..

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Yes, our Olde English had so many layers around his eyes that it was causing the skin to flip and scratch his eyes. His eyes would pour like a river. We had the surgery and he did great.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I haven't heard of this, and I don't have any experience with nose rope or wrinkle infections as my guys don't have deep wrinkles so don't suffer from this. I guess this has it's pros and cons and it may be necessary for some cases if the wrinkles are very deep or problematic, but I agree with others that most cases are caused by food allergies or yeast problems and can be controlled by a food change, and proper cleaning and maintenance of the skin folds and wrinkles and is just one of the things that ho along with owning a bully.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'd never heard of this either, that's odd. I mean if it was severe & nothing at all worked, then maybe.... but honestly I believe that with the right food, daily cleanings (multiple times if needed), etc.. it wouldn't be necessary. Its just work.... I clean Tyson's face every single day, twice a day - if I miss a day or two, it will start to get red. So its very important to keep on it, no matter what.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
can you post a picture of your boy? I have heard of this but only in exterme cases, agree with others... food change may help or even giving some Benedryl to less tearing

Yes and a brand new allergy medicine (if allergies are the problem) that is fabulous.
Sorry, can't remember the name :(

What's the update on your beloved?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online