Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Hello everyone! It's been a while. Haven't been on the boards for such a long time. I have a question, my ACE is now 13 months. He's healthy, full of life, and loves to eat, lol. One thing though that I've been constantly battling since he was about 5 months old is his excessive shedding. Now, not only his shedding, but excessive tearing that has caused major tear stains that are very dark red/maroon in color. This color is also underneath his paws. He will rub his face on the carpet, lick his paws here in and then. I clean his wrinkles daily with Witch Hazel and apply Desitin. He started with Fromms Pink bag, then switched to Beef Fritatta, then to Pork and Peas. I currently switched him to Merrick Pork and Sweet potato and I want to say his stains have gotten worse. I tried TOTW Salmon but he disliked it, he didn't want to eat it. Any other food suggestions you all may think of? He didn't do to well with chicken. I've been thinking of RAW, but really don't want to go that route. I feel iffy that he won't get all his nutrients. Thank you for any help/tips. It's greatly appreciated!ss

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Welcome BACK!!! :w00t: I'm dealing w/the same issues w/Wally, he has excessive tear staining… and honestly I think it is the way his eyelids are shaped. I haven't been consistent about it, but when I use the douxo pads and then finish w/gold bond powder I notice in the morning his stains look better. I just put the powder on my finger and gently place it in his face wrinkles. Since Ace is licking his paws too I would say it was yeast...

I started Wally on Fromms Beef, Pork & Peas and I just ordered Pork and Applesauce. If you are serious about raw, I bought the raw patties that are frozen Nature's Variety Instinct Raw for Roxie. It's SUPER easy, literally just thaw in the fridge and serve… but I'm NOT going to lie to you they are expensive!!! My vet approved them, they are nutritionally perfect for your dog and they offer lots of protein varieties. I am transitioning her to Merrick right now, but those patties are a great alternative. Have you even tried Earthborne Holistic?!! Roxie was on that for several years, and I know that several members feed that to their bullies… it's another great choice!!! Good luck and keep us posted...

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
Stay away from Merrick. The sweet potatoes are probably the cause of the excess tearing that was my issue with my bulldog. Try natures variety instinct its grain and potato free. Zignature and natures logic are great choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Look into The Honest Kitchen.... [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] bully Harlea is doing great on it

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Just started with hibiclens, 1 to 3 parts water mix to clean his wrinkles and paws. This has the same content of douxo pads. Question, do I leave it to dry after I wipe problem areas? I pat dried it with a napkin and then put some desitin. Here are a couple of pics. The white on his eyes is desitin :)
75aacec5f80323d55b1cec25e908891a.jpg
4a9ed07c5e5e50ffbf7982a4a9338b30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.