KaylaL422

Dec 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus Barkley
Hello,

I posted a thread yesterday about strange behavior after a trip to the groomers. After the fear and strange behavior wore off, he started to act like he was in pain. By the time bedtime rolled around, he couldn't even get off the couch on his own, which is very low to the ground and he usually has no problems. We got him off, and he went up the stairs on his own, but cried when he got to the top. He sleeps in my bed every night, and was beside himself that he couldn't get on to the bed, so I lifted him up and he settled right down. He's acted like this before after a vigorous play date with my aunt's dog, but after a good night's sleep he was totally fine the next day. All last night, every time he shifted he cried, and made this sound like a dying buffalo, which was very distressing as I'm sure you can imagine. This morning, he couldn't get out of my bed, and could hardly even stand up without crying. So I picked him up and got him off the bed, then proceeded to carry him down the stairs when he couldn't handle those. He still has his appetite (although I think the world could be ending and he'd still have his appetite), but I'm very concerned and I don't know what to do for him. It seems like it's his front (possibly his shoulder?) but we can't figure out what is causing the pain. He isn't limping, and we haven't noticed a specific behavior that triggers the cry every time. Looking up also seems to cause him pain. Any advice would be really appreciated! I'm sensing a vet trip in our future, but I have never seen him in this much pain before.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yeah I think this warrants a vet visit, poor baby! He may have gotten excited and pulled a muscle, hopefully that's all it is, but the vet will be able to diagnose and give anti inflammatories, possibly X-rays if needed. Poor baby, please let us know if you have any news.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Lisa… sounds like a trip to the vets is necessary at this point. Keep us posted...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Does he cooperate at the groomer? It sounds to me like maybe they hurt him.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with above members, I would take him to the vet, as bullies have a very high pain tolerance and will not usually show signs of pain, so if he's crying out with pain, then he must be feeling a lot of pain, and he needs to be checked by the vet, especially since you don't know what he's hurt. I have the same question as Rosalie, did he maybe have a fall at the groomer? Either a fall off the table or a slip in the tub maybe? And they didn't tell you? I hope he's okay and it's just a sprain or strain. I would ask the groomer, even though they may not tell you the truth if something happened. Please keep us posted.

OP
K

KaylaL422

Dec 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus Barkley
The groomer insisted that nothing happened and that he was fantastic and didn't have any problems, but I highly doubt they would admit to anything if something had happened. He has been to that groomer before and did great the last time - he is the biggest sweetheart and wouldn't harm a fly, so I doubt he misbehaved. We won't be taking him to the groomer anymore, and we'll just care for his bathing needs ourselves. I plan to try to get him in to our usual vet tomorrow if possible, but I feel awful that he's in so much pain until then. The only thing I witnessed was when I went to pick him up, they had him tethered to the ground since he doesn't like the kennel, which is fine, but he was so excited to see me that he tried to cram himself under the half-door blocking the grooming area, so perhaps he hurt himself doing that?

I'm just very worried about my poor baby, and if there's anything I can do to make him comfortable in the meantime, advice on that would be appreciated as well! So far he's been sleeping all morning, no cries of pain but he also hasn't moved since curling up on my lap. I'm sure he's exhausted, as we both had a very rough night.

Thank you all so much for your input!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] Sounds very strange to me that it all started after the groomer visit. It could be coincidence but.....
When my husband and I were first married, we got our first child(dog) together. She was a shaggy haired "ugly duckling" who turned out to be a swan. She was a very sick little pup and when she was well, I took her to a groomer(whom I had known).There were windows near the area that they did the grooming,and when I went to pick her up, she saw me through the window. She was alone, on the grooming table, with the "noose" around her neck=that holds their head up. She was there,unattended and slipped off the table-had I not seen that happen-I got her in time) she would have died from hanging, as no one was in the room. Perhaps something happened to your baby at the groomers. I, myself never went back to any groomer.Just bought my own clippers and equip. needed. I hope something like this did not happen-but lifting the wrong way into the tub-or sounds like something -perhaps pulled muscles or neck injury. I think he needs the vet Mon. if possible.
Hoping it will turn out to be nothing serious.

OP
K

KaylaL422

Dec 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus Barkley
I hadn't even thought of that, but now that you mention it perhaps it was something pulling on his neck. There were a lot of dogs when he went this time, and he is very curious by nature. Plus, after we brought him in to the main area there were a couple other dogs out wandering with their owners, and whenever one got near him he dropped like a rock into a submissive position and made that same buffalo noise (not pain though, more like fear). He was terrified of all the other dogs, so I'm wondering if he associated something pulling on his neck with the sight of the other dogs?

On a less serious note, how often should they have a bath? I'm going to start doing it myself, and in all my research everyone says something different. He's adorable, but he gets pretty stinky. My grandmother has asthma, and she absolutely loves Angus, but when he gets smelly she can't be around him. I don't want to bathe him too often and hurt his skin. Any recommendations?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I only bath mine-if they get really dirty-or if they get stinky-which is very unusual for them. I don't know how often he gets "stinky"-Mine get a pro-biotic supplement and some yogurt, which I think actually helps them from getting stinky,as the supplement is good. I really don't bath them alot. Some people use an apple cider vinegar rinse, which may help your "stinkies" Not yours.....your boy's:yes:.I don't know what you feed-but that could be something,too? Some dogs have more oily skin than others, also.

OP
K

KaylaL422

Dec 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus Barkley
We'll have to start him on a probiotic supplement and see if that helps. He does have very oily skin, so that may also have something to do with it. He got a bath the day after we adopted him, about three weeks ago, and he was already smelly and dirty two weeks later. Stinky boy :D

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We'll have to start him on a probiotic supplement and see if that helps. He does have very oily skin, so that may also have something to do with it. He got a bath the day after we adopted him, about three weeks ago, and he was already smelly and dirty two weeks later. Stinky boy :D

I would call the groomer and ask if they noose their dogs on the grooming table. Petsmart almost killed Chesty (Orion's dad) when they groomed him because of the noose.

I would let the groomer know that you are taking him to the vet for evaluation. If the vet determines it was groomer related, submit the bill to them. They have insurance...and they should be covered for events like this.

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
I would definately get him to the vet asap. Maybe to ease his pain before then, give him a BUFFERED aspirin. Do not give tylenol or anything like that. Buffered aspirin at 5mg per pound. Maybe that will give him some relief. Also, warm compresses. Maybe the groomers picked him up by his front legs to bathe him and pulled something.

OP
K

KaylaL422

Dec 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus Barkley
Update:

Thank you to everyone that responded. He's been resting all day, and he has significantly improved already. I will probably take him to the vet tomorrow to be evaluated just to be safe, but he's already showing huge signs of improvement. He is hardly crying at all now, and is acting much more himself. He's also becoming more active, wandering throughout the house more and he just generally seems more alert. I'm hoping it was just muscle pain from grooming (lesson learned, he will be getting baths at home from now on) but thank you again to everyone for your much appreciated advice!

2014-12-07 15.57.29.jpg2014-12-06 11.56.40.jpgMy happy burrito boy says thank you! :yes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad he is doing better and hope he is back to normal tomorrow.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online