Ugh!! I'm so frustrated with Ida's ucky face!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I know this subject has been talked and talked about. But I want to tell you Ida's particular set of circumstances and see if anyone has a new idea for me. I was looking at her pics from early Dec., when we took the girls for Santa pics and we took some at home, and her face was nice and white. Then 3 things changed (that I can think of, and believe me!, I had wracked my brain over this!). I will also show you before and current pics. She is a mess and I'm doing everything I can think of! (And, as always the before pic is on my iphone, so it's sideways!:angry:)

Here are the things that changed around mid Dec.
1: I had been getting the girls a different flavor of their Nature's Variety Prairie food. I had them on chicken, then I tried venison, all was well. Then in mid Dec. I tried beef.
2: I also tried cinnamon on their food, just for a couple days, her face got red and so I stopped and it seemed her face improved, but apparently not.
3: Gertie had broken their ceramic bowls, so for a few days I used the plastic ones I had on hand, then I went and got them stainless bowls. I think stainless is good, right?

And I have to add, I have since put them back on the chicken food they were on to begin with.

Now, here are all the things I've tried to get her face "fixed". I've been trying to clean wrinkles everyday, but I have to admit, we don't always get it done. I've been pretty laid-up here lately and she HATES it so much, we both have to hold her down. I tried the peroxide paste once, noticed no difference. How long, or how many applications does that usually take? I've been using a form of "Angel Eyes", but a different brand on her breakfast for 4 weeks now and her eye stains are still horrible! I've also been giving her 1/2 a Tums twice a day, for about 10 days now.

Why isn't ANY of this helping? What am I doing wrong? I keep thinking I should change their food. But there's no problems at all with Gertie, and this is the ONLY issue with Ida. There's no licking paws, itching, all the things I see discussed here. Do you guys think it warrents a food change, when I may just be getting into a whole new mess? I know so many of you swear by Fromm, but the closest place I can get Fromm is over an hour away (unless the traffic is bad, and then it'll be worse). And, which Fromm would I try? UGH!! I'm at the end of my wits! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! (Sorry for the ridiculously long rant).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] OMG look how big Gertie has gotten!! (WHOOOPS I mean IDA!!! :p) Really, I see the stains, but they are not as bad as others.

First off, you can order Fromm Food from petflow for cheaper than sold at any feed store. So if you should decide to switch, it can be delivered to your door. They also carry Nature's Variety too, so you may want to check their prices. If you enter our code ENGLISHBULLDOG at checkout, you will get FREE shipping on orders over $59, and pay NO SALES TAX. You cannot get dog food any cheaper or better than that. Just click this link to go to petflow: petflow

Secondly, getting rid of the stains takes dedication. I am thinking maybe something in the food has triggered an allergy, how long has she been back on the chicken formula? Food allergies can develop at ANY time especially during the first two years of life.

Do the paste until the stains go away. The more often, the better. At least once a day. Also putting the Desitin on after the area is dry can help too, from any more staining. Should speed up the process.

When applying, do it from behind so you can hold her back with your legs and then you have one arm to keep face still and one for applying.

The good thing is from the pictures it does not look like her eyelids are rolling in.

Last edited:

bullrock30

Sep 7, 2010
Edmonton, Ab. Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Titus....aka: Tigerlily and Tightywhitey and Lickin Liesel the "Boston" cant forget her
Can you see? She's even red up around her left eye!
Hmmmm, Ive have went through similar experiences with both my bullies. (one has a white face as well). We have tried everything from Orijen, Acana, Go natural, Eagle pack, california natural, Evo (many hypo-allergenic diets).......the list goes on. (basically every kind of food you can buy at the natural pet food store). We also have problems with the "stained" red fur as well as the sticky face (yeast) in the wrinkles. And Im very diligent about cleaning them daily. We used whitening remedies (diamond eye...etc). Anyhow about 2 mths ago, we discovered my oldest female had developed crystals in her urine (thank the lord, no kidney stones) so our vet recommened a diet change to one of the vet brands he carried there. He got us to bring the info of the bag of dog food (Acana Lamd/apple) and basically told it full of great stuff but basically a lot of stuff our dogs don't need or can't process efficiently. (he went into greater detail, but I cant quite remember) and most of these foods are way too high in protien for a bulldogs needs. Anyway, we took his advice and he put them on "Medi-Cal" hypoallergenic by Royal Canin and only avaliable through the vet, not the stuff sold at pet stores (its duck based, I was skeptical cause Ive tried duck) I was also feeding almost 4cups of my food a day, and this is 2 cups a day for a 50-60 pound bulldog, which tells me there is alot more nutritional content in it. Well its almost been 8 wks, stains have been cut in half, no stinky face even if I miss a couple days cleaning, and no more goopy eyes in the morning. Im soooo impressed and hoping in a bit more time all the redness will be gone, oh yah and they absolutley LUV it:heart:. So I know everydog is different so Im not sure if this will be helpful but definatley worth checking out. Im not sure where you live but I believe its made in Canada and probley avaliable in the states as well. One more thing, I know if the food contains beet pulp that has alot to do with it as well. Good luck

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION], Chicken did this to Vegas he is on the Nature's Variety Instinct, not the Prairie, but chicken most certainly was a step back, and I use Desitin. His problem is not the redness anymore it is the SMELL, and I wash his face faithfully EVERY night, the last 3 weeks has been horrible. Our pollen count was very high the last couple of weeks, but I have had quite the battle with the smell, I don't think it is yeast, he is not red, itching, and his eyes are clear. I bathed him yesterday and let his special shampoo soak extra long on his face and for the first time in 3 weeks his face smelled good as it still does today. Joe gets on me because I am constantly in Vegas's face sniffing. I am obsessed with his facial smell!! He HATES his face washed and run's from me I have to sit on him like a horse to wash, dry and desitin him.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Well, I guess I'm glad to hear you don't think she looks so bad, or at least she could look worse. I think she looks gastly! She doesn't have "goopy" eyes, she just has redness around that left eye. I did check to see what petflow charges for the same thing I now feed, and that's quite a bit better where I'm getting it. I hesitate to have something as important as their food delivered to the house. What if it doesn't come and we're out? I just love being 5 minutes away from the Pet Club. If my husband says, "Just gave the girls the last of the dog food", which he tends to do, we can go get more right then and there. That probably sounds ridiculous to some of you, but I just like doing it the way I do it. And, what Fromm would I even go with? I know there are several.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I agree with the other posters...these are wrinkly dogs and no matter what you do, they WILL have tear stains to some extent. To a certain extent, it's natural. She doesn't look bad, it's just kind of a part of getting older. They don't really have them as puppies but when they get bigger, they get them. It's a part of bulldog ownership, especially the white ones. Also, Linus gets those stains just from rough housing with Truman - the build up of moisture and extra tears are the cause.

I also can't believe how big they are! They are two beauties! Baby T might be a potential suitor! :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] ..... Sorry I can't be of any help cause Gracie doesn't have this problem but I wanted to say that I don't think she looks bad at all..... Sure she is pink and Im sure it can be improved on but it isn't horrid..... Matter of fact, SHE IS A DOLL!!!!!!!:heart: ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Edited my post, I meant IDA! Hahahahhaa whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooops. :p

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I agree with everyone above! Silva has tear stains as well, I have noticed it worse over the last month or so. I have bought the stuff to make the peroxide paste and just need to start doing it, like you I try to wash her face everyday but there are the odd days that I forget. I also have stopped giving her people food and hoping that will help. I thought I read somewhere using filtered water but I havent tried that either! I agree it is very frustrating! Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do!

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION]: We should plan a get together for the "kids" to play together! I thought there were several of us in the Phoenix area. My BIG girls are like over-stuffed sausages! They are now on a MUCH reduced diet, so hopefully they won't explode from my husband's TLC.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]: Don't worry about it, we call Ida "Gertie", and Gertie "Ida" all the time. Gertie actually comes better when we call her Ida.

sarge

Jan 22, 2011
Nashville
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge
Wow...cute cute cute :) She looks adorable~
I also have some trouble with my Sarge on the face. I make sure and clean him regularly around the area.
I've noticed a couple people mentioning something they use (a paste?) to clean the face.
I was interested in what that was!?

Thanks!!

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
[MENTION=1751]sarge[/MENTION]: You use hydrogen peroxide and add corn starch til it's a paste consistancy and put that on the tear stained area. It's supposed to bleach it white again. I'm going to try doing it daily and see if it works.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
She got so big and very beautiful. [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] is she doing any better? I know with the peroxide paste it would take a couple of weeks. she looks like she has allergies, I am having a slight problem with the right side of Bear's face his tear stain is prominent and the eye is red but the only thing i gave him different is an egg. After a few days its better.

I hope she gets better soon.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.