It has to have been asked before: what do you do about your bully's horrible gas?

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Hi everyone -

I have a question: Oliver was put on a prescription diet food. He loves the food, as it helps with so many of his issues. Not only has he shaved 10 pounds off (in a year) but it is a soft food which helps with his esophagus issues AND it doesn't contain carrots which he is allergic to. (In other words, we won't be changing foods as this has been a miracle for us on ALL issues!) BUT, lately - within the last month or so, Oliver has developed horrible gas. Everything else is normal (bowl movements are normal), he was just at the vet and everything is great, physically. He eats 4 smaller meals per day, so it's not even an issue of eating too much, too fast. I think he is just...gassy. It doesn't phase him one bit (his belly isn't tender nor does he behave as if the gas is a painful) - he just has a way of...clearing the room.

The one thing we haven't tried yet is a probiotic to balance his gut. Yogurt is out because he can't handle dairy. Any suggestions on whether a probiotic would be the best route? Is there anything else that might help eliminate some of his gas?
I tried searching and didn't find anything on the forums but I'm SURE I can't be the only person shopping on Amazon for a gas mask. ;)

So, what do you guys think? Probiotic? If so, which brand do you use?
Thanks!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Probiotics will help. It stinks that you can't use yogurt as that works good as well. Not sure if you want to try it but Kefir is as good as yogurt and is usually made with sheeps or goat milk.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Not sure if you want to try it but Kefir is as good as yogurt and is usually made with sheeps or goat milk.

I almost bought Kefir to try the other day but was worried about messing with his tummy. I might try that but will most likely try a probiotic first!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I get probiotic product called stress formula, from Kauffman's. All my dogs get it on their food. They very rarely have gas. You can find them on the net.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I get probiotic product called stress formula, from Kauffman's. All my dogs get it on their food. They very rarely have gas. You can find them on the net.
Thank you! I've heard Purina makes a good one as well. I'm researching different ones now. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed... probiotic. I give a tablespoon of plain greet yogart as a topper on their food

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] knows how to deal with gas.

We give our bullies greek yogurt after dinner as a treat. They love it. Although Bentley's system is in hyper-drive, and can clear the room....bless his heart.

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
I use Bene-Bac Plus that I got from Foster & Smith. It comes in a powdered form and you sprinkle it on food. There's no dairy in it, so there's no concern about allergy issues. The jar cost about $15 and I think it will last close to a year.

I stir it up with a bit of water because the powder is very fine and Tallulah would just snort it up when she tried to eat otherwise. The jar says administer a couple of teaspoons once a week, but I just give a small bit on her dinner every day (there's a tiny scoop in the jar and I give her two level scoops). When she first came to me she was pretty gassy, but she almost never has a problem now. I

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We rarely have gas here. Well, at least my bulldogs don't!

Hey wasn't it you [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] that posted about poo-pourri? Don't know why but this thread reminded me of that!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I started using Fortiflora which is the probiotic my vet carries when I switched Winnie to Orijen puppy food. Don't know if it was the food or the probiotic, but she rarely has gas anymore (if she does, it doesn't smell so awful!). I got a big supply at Chewy.com. It's way cheaper than at the vet!

Diego1011

Jun 26, 2014
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Diego
Good question. Thanks for the tips guys. I'll definitely be trying some of these

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.