Kennel Cough

FenwayB

Mar 22, 2010
Hello -

I took my 7 month old male bulldog named Fenway into my vet to be neutered last tuesday. All went well with the neutering but Sunday he got very sick vomiting and difficulty breathing, hacking cough. Took him back to the vet and they said he got Kennel cough while he was at the vets. They had an outbreak. I am so upset. He is currently on an antibotic and cough medicines. Does anyone know how long kennel cough lasts? It is so upsetting to here him cough. Also, would you trust this vet or change vets. They came highly recommeded and the breeder I bought him from has all 4 of her english bulldogs going to them? Suggestions??????? Thanks so much!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did they make you pay for the office visit and antibiotics to cure the kennel cough?

Attachments

• 942694_4915014765770_29368415_n.jpg
    942694_4915014765770_29368415_n.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 971336_4896325098540_1918850856_n.jpg
    971336_4896325098540_1918850856_n.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 140

Aqualung

Feb 22, 2010
Long Island NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Stomper
My lil gal picked it up about a month and a half ago..Cant figure out where she got it from..It's about a two week treatment with the antibiotics,then it should be fine..I've heard of alot of dogs getting it lately and no one knows where it came from..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 150
OP
F

FenwayB

Mar 22, 2010
Kennel cough

The vet did not make me pay for the visit or the antibotics. I am so concerned taking him there now. Not sure what i should do? Any suggestions?

Also, they did say there is a big outbreak of kennel cough going around. I did have fenway vaccinated but they say its not nearly as effective as it should be.

Fenway is not eating or drinking. With this cough he vomitts so much flem? Is this normal? my vet told me not to worry about this he will drink when he is ready? i am very concerned? Anyone ever been through this?

Attachments

• sgetti.jpg
    sgetti.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Wine 2.jpg
    Wine 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Pink Babe.JPG
    Pink Babe.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Hotti.jpg
    Hotti.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Cuddles.jpg
    Cuddles.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Wine 1.JPG
    Wine 1.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 148
  • firecrackers.JPG
    firecrackers.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 139
  • love.JPG
    love.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Cuddles and kisses.JPG
    Cuddles and kisses.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 186
  • chair.JPG
    chair.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 148

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Been through it a couple of times. Pull up the skin on the back of the neck and pinch it. If it does not just flop back down into place, and kind of stays up for a moment, then he could be dehydrated. I would call the vet immediately if this is the case! He will need IV fluids!

The hacking and phlem I would say is normal for kennel cough, but to what extreme? How many days has your baby been on antibiotics, and what did they prescribe? I sure hope it is clavamox.

As far as whether or not you should continue to see this vet, well that is a difficult question. Whenever you take your pet to the vet you risk your animal picking something up, especially if they are not protected. I use a mobile vet for this very reason. I also get anything I can from A to Z vet supply that I can do myself. We do all our own shots and deworming, heartguard, ect. --with the exception being rabies. This saves me hundreds of dollars a year in "exam" charges that go with the shots.

During weather changes when allergens are high, bullies tend to get a weak immune system. If someone brought a puppy they got from a puppy store into the vet (guaranteed kennel cough!) and you came in shortly after with no preventative bordatella shot in your babies immune system, I would say this is not the fault of the vet. Especially if they are not charging you to make it right.

My main concern is that your baby needs fluids, check the hydration and let us know, if you think there is dehydration, get your bully to the vet asap! And make sure they give a penicillin booster in the IV and you are prescribed Clavamox.

Mugzilla

Mar 24, 2010
southern bell
Bulldog(s) Names
www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo
if they knew there was a big outbreak going around, why on earth would they not inoculate the dogs that were having surgery and therefore required being kenneled? or at least advise you of the outbreak and leave the decision to inoculate up to you?

if you felt comfortable enough doing it, i'd tell the vet exactly how you feel. that he/she came highly recommended, but that your trust is shaken after your dog got kennel cough during the first visit. see how he/she reacts and how they do/don't try to regain your trust.

Last edited:
OP
F

FenwayB

Mar 22, 2010
Fenway

Fenway was vaccinated for kennel cough one month prior to him going to get neurtered. They did not know about the about break until a few days after his surgery. Right around the time he got it. Just my luck.........

Anway... we just came back from the vets. They hydrated him via IV's. Gave him antibotic shot of Baytril. Also said i could give his cough suppressant every 4 to 5 hrs instead of every 8. They said his throat/trachea is very inflammed. They also gave him something for the inflamtion.

He is has not vomitted for a few hours and he actually drank some water on his own. Hopefully, this will clear up soon!!!!!!!! Thank you for everyone's advice. This is my first bulldog. I have always owned rotties previously..

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Glad to hear you got some IV fluids. Please keep us posted on how he is doing!

Sandman1200

May 19, 2010
Out in the Boonies in North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Heffner the "TANK"
Kenel cough can be from any visit to the Vet...When my lil man went to have a belly button hernia removed (He was only a few months old) he developed kennel cough, i called the vet and they said, oh he is just a lil nauseated, (he was throwing up) give him something to settle his stomach, i tried that for one day and it seemed to be getting worse...I took him in and he had kennel cough and it had developed to pneumonia (sp) I paid for a weeks visit in the vet hospital, all meds (a couple thousand) and in the end they just said, well now he is healthy....I changed vets immediately!!

OP
F

FenwayB

Mar 22, 2010
Just an update on Fenway. He is finally starting to feel better. He started drinking water on his own yesterday and eating a bland diet. The cough has also slowed down some and no more vomit. I hope to never ever experience kennel cough again. Thanks for everyone's advice!

NASTYNATI

May 26, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Wimbley
If you ever experience Kennel Cough again or know someone that does find a vet that treats it with a nebulizer. My pup had a severe case of Kennel Cough when she was around 3 months of age. Before finding "my vet" I took Wimbley in to be seen by 3 different vets. They all prescribed cough medicines and antibiotics each with no success. Finally I contacted the 4th Vet (my vet) and he immediately diagnosed her with a severe case of kennel cough. For a $100 dollar deposit I rented his portable nebulizer and began giving her breathing treatments in her kennel covered with a towel. 3 times a day for 3 days along with an oral antibiotic and it was gone in a flash! within the first 3 treatments there was no more mucus and her appetite was back. This method of treatment was highly effective and he claims his primary method of treatment for this ailment.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hello -

I took my 7 month old male bulldog named Fenway into my vet to be neutered last tuesday. All went well with the neutering but Sunday he got very sick vomiting and difficulty breathing, hacking cough. Took him back to the vet and they said he got Kennel cough while he was at the vets. They had an outbreak. I am so upset. He is currently on an antibotic and cough medicines. Does anyone know how long kennel cough lasts? It is so upsetting to here him cough. Also, would you trust this vet or change vets. They came highly recommeded and the breeder I bought him from has all 4 of her english bulldogs going to them? Suggestions??????? Thanks so much!

I wouldn't exactly change vets......but I would want some answers. If the exposure was done on Tuesday and it wasn't developed until Sunday, it could be that they weren't aware of the outbreak at the time of the surgery. BUT, what is not acceptable is the fact that they neglected to contact you and let you know what might be happening as soon as they did find out. They risked not only your puppy's health, but also the health of all the other animals that were infected at the same time AND by you (possibly) infecting other animals due to unawareness. I would demand answers and request a change in policies. If that Dr came recommended, it could be that the clinic staff is at fault, not the Dr. Most clinics are run by staff that cater to the Dr's on staff. By requesting them to change their policies, you might just make the clinic a better place. Then you can have an awesome Dr who works for an awesome Clinic! (HOPEFULLY THE DR DOESN'T OWN THE CLINIC....CAUSE THEN I HAVE A WHOLE BUNCH MORE STUFF TO SAY!!!!)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.