URGENT!!! Please Help!!! Skin issues are severe!!!

boxers30

Feb 13, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
Any news to the baby from the vet? We are all anxiously waiting.

Jen Deane Belanger

Nov 30, 2014
102_1219.jpg
I saw your post on FB, someone shared on a Bulldog health page to hopefully get you some suggestions. Please Google Canine Cushing's Disease!!! This picture is of my late Bully Magoo, he had Cushing's Disease. If your Bully is on prednisone now his immune system is compromised and a simple skin infection can turn into this in a matter of days. he needs to have it shaved down first and my vet had me buy plain old foaming antibacterial hand soap and wash it twice a day. She also had me get a big tube of bacitracin and keep it well coated so it doesn't get hard and scabbed over causing it to crack and bleed. It took a while to get this cleared up :( good luck, I know how this feels.

Roxy sweetie

Sep 18, 2014
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
I'm so sorry poor baby Winston, but take to the dermatologist, and honesty I don't trust commercial dog food anymore, I stop given to my babes, I cook plain chicken, lamb or meat , and make a pot of barley, peas, lentils and beans also frozen veggies spinach and watch for the sodium , my Roxy doesn't itch like before, here go :

morning
beef
one boiled egg they absorbed the amino acids faster yellow
one teaspoon of organic coconut antiseptic
2 teaspoons of fresh pineapple juice for digestion help breakdown the food
3 tablespoons of lentils, etc. complex B

noon:
I pill probiotics to help with the yeast (be careful it will make them itch, don't feed them rice, sugary snacks)
2 spoons kearoun lite kefir cheese or organic cottage cheese, make sodium is low dosage calcium plus help with yeast

dinner:
chicken
2 tablespoons lentils, beans, peas

once or twice a week supplements, I only give Roxy the vitamin c in the morning and the probiotics at noon like a snack
probiotics to help combat the bad bacteria and yeast
ascorbic acid 30-45 to boost her immune system
pet vites help boost immune system
allergy support
hip & joint health ultra mega gnc

Roxy was on prednisone before, and weakling the immune system, ask for other less side effects at long term if possible.
But start changing to more natural protein food, no more commercial (poison food)

always check the labels on the treats, less ingredients better and more natural veggies (if the label is too long don't buy it )

The more natural and fresh protein, veggies and legumes will boost his immune system , cleaning his blood and intestines. also supplements some vitamins will help, IF YOUR VET cannot HELP Winston , look for a holistic or new vet, check with the dermatologist about the supplement and vitamins so make sure don't over dosage or have a reaction with medication, stop prednisone if possible.

Winston will be better soon, don't let him see you sad or frustrated because will stress him more making it worst, take him for a nice walk, coverage his wound but make sure he have some type of fun and play no stress.

I hope he gets better and heal faster with a good derma and food.

steve16046

Nov 22, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank & Stella
Our bullies have allergies, and since we started using Embark- from The honest kitchen brand, dehydrated food, they haven't had any issues. Might be worth a try. Good luck. Please report what worked.

OP
P

PaigeSnyder621

Nov 28, 2014
Kansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you all so much! I'm touched that so many people took the time out to help a stranger. I thought I'd also post a photo of my sweet boy NOT looking like a cast member of The Walking Dead. The other photo is the difference between when I originally posted and today. The redness is pretty much gone, which is fantastic, and it's no longer open and oozing. All the black is where its crusted up and scabbed over...which is a great sign. So far, *knock on wood*, all of the other hardened areas haven't opened up so I am hoping the current treatment stopped it in it's tracks.
I saw a new vet on Saturday and she seemed much better than the last two. She took photos and skin scrapings of several different areas. It tested negative for any type of mites or mange and negative for ring worm. She put him on two different antibiotics in case the infection is more resistant to one. Along with that, I'm also giving him 3 benedryl twice a day to help combat any itching. The good news is, is that since he's been on the antibiotics, he hasn't been scratching. That shows me that we are on the right track. I'm also giving him one 20mg prednisone a day. I give him a sedative if it really seems to be bothering him so that he can rest comfortably and not fuss with it. We are still continuing his anti-fungal baths just to cover all of our bases however we aren't doing them every other day like we were because he's getting pretty ticked off with it. Although it does help to soak off some of those itchy scabs. (My husband gets this job because it makes me want to vomit!)
The food isn't the issue, that I'm certain of. He's been eating Fromm for over 2 years and has never had a problem with any of the flavors. We keep the food in an air tight container so I don't think it's a dust mite issue but it could be. I feel like we are on the right track...however...and please don't scold me or yell at me because I'm conflicted enough about this, but he's become increasingly aggressive...and it's very unpredictable. One day, he will love having his scabs rubbed with soap in the tub and love being pet, then all of a sudden you can't get within 5 feet of him without him growling and snapping. You so much as look at him sometimes and he loses his mind. I understand that he is uncomfortable but this behavior began before the skin issues and it's just gotten worse. I wouldn't be so worried but I have three children, 2, 8 and 10. Winston is usually very loving and patient. My 2 year old could do anything to him and he would just lay there...he's very sweet to him. But I'm terrified that he will bite one of the kids, unprovoked. I know if that occurs, my husband won't give me an option, he will put him down. Although it appears that he is healing, he's miserable. I can see it in his eyes. The vet wants to see him back in 30 days to check his progress. She also told us that, if after 30 days of treatment, he's not getting much better, we may want to consider putting him down. This breaks my heart...he's my baby..I love him so very much...but I am starting to wonder if that's maybe the best option. I don't WANT to but I also don't want to have him be miserable. And what if we can't pinpoint the cause of this? What if it doesn't go away or keeps coming back? I feel like it would be inhumane to keep putting him through this and with his behavior lately, it's even more concearning.
He's never been very obedient despite the work we've done with him and my husband is very experienced with training animals but biting and aggression is a behavior I simply can't allow. I adore this fat lump of stubborn dog. I knew that English Bulldogs had health issues and we did a lot of research prior to getting one, but I think this guy has had every issue an English Bulldog can have. Cysts, a cherry eye, a tail pocket, infections, allergies....I just don't want to make the wrong decision. Sorry for such a long post...I'm just a mess about this. Thank you!

My Sweet Boy.jpgtreatment week 2-3.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all so much! I'm touched that so many people took the time out to help a stranger. I thought I'd also post a photo of my sweet boy NOT looking like a cast member of The Walking Dead. The other photo is the difference between when I originally posted and today. The redness is pretty much gone, which is fantastic, and it's no longer open and oozing. All the black is where its crusted up and scabbed over...which is a great sign. So far, *knock on wood*, all of the other hardened areas haven't opened up so I am hoping the current treatment stopped it in it's tracks.
I saw a new vet on Saturday and she seemed much better than the last two. She took photos and skin scrapings of several different areas. It tested negative for any type of mites or mange and negative for ring worm. She put him on two different antibiotics in case the infection is more resistant to one. Along with that, I'm also giving him 3 benedryl twice a day to help combat any itching. The good news is, is that since he's been on the antibiotics, he hasn't been scratching. That shows me that we are on the right track. I'm also giving him one 20mg prednisone a day. I give him a sedative if it really seems to be bothering him so that he can rest comfortably and not fuss with it. We are still continuing his anti-fungal baths just to cover all of our bases however we aren't doing them every other day like we were because he's getting pretty ticked off with it. Although it does help to soak off some of those itchy scabs. (My husband gets this job because it makes me want to vomit!)
The food isn't the issue, that I'm certain of. He's been eating Fromm for over 2 years and has never had a problem with any of the flavors. We keep the food in an air tight container so I don't think it's a dust mite issue but it could be. I feel like we are on the right track...however...and please don't scold me or yell at me because I'm conflicted enough about this, but he's become increasingly aggressive...and it's very unpredictable. One day, he will love having his scabs rubbed with soap in the tub and love being pet, then all of a sudden you can't get within 5 feet of him without him growling and snapping. You so much as look at him sometimes and he loses his mind. I understand that he is uncomfortable but this behavior began before the skin issues and it's just gotten worse. I wouldn't be so worried but I have three children, 2, 8 and 10. Winston is usually very loving and patient. My 2 year old could do anything to him and he would just lay there...he's very sweet to him. But I'm terrified that he will bite one of the kids, unprovoked. I know if that occurs, my husband won't give me an option, he will put him down. Although it appears that he is healing, he's miserable. I can see it in his eyes. The vet wants to see him back in 30 days to check his progress. She also told us that, if after 30 days of treatment, he's not getting much better, we may want to consider putting him down. This breaks my heart...he's my baby..I love him so very much...but I am starting to wonder if that's maybe the best option. I don't WANT to but I also don't want to have him be miserable. And what if we can't pinpoint the cause of this? What if it doesn't go away or keeps coming back? I feel like it would be inhumane to keep putting him through this and with his behavior lately, it's even more concearning.
He's never been very obedient despite the work we've done with him and my husband is very experienced with training animals but biting and aggression is a behavior I simply can't allow. I adore this fat lump of stubborn dog. I knew that English Bulldogs had health issues and we did a lot of research prior to getting one, but I think this guy has had every issue an English Bulldog can have. Cysts, a cherry eye, a tail pocket, infections, allergies....I just don't want to make the wrong decision. Sorry for such a long post...I'm just a mess about this. Thank you!

View attachment 81325View attachment 81326

What a beautiful boy! His aggression can be from the pain, but also from the predisone... it is a steroid and my girl was NUTS on it, just nasty, and high strung. I refused to use it unless it was the only option, which right now is where you are. If you are using the air tight container.. it helps, but here is something to do with the kibble to see if it is dust/storage mites.... break the kibble into bags and place in the freezer... feed the kibble from freezer to bowl for a few weeks and see if there is any change. If yes, then you got your answer. And you would either have to go raw or always keep the kibble in the freezer to kills the mites.

please stay with us and keep us posted... someone here can always provide guidance or just some support.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Paige, I'm so sorry you're going through this, but before you make any drastic or permanent decisions, please be patient with the treatments, try shaving him down in all the scab areas, and soak him in some treatments like ACV and warm water, or Epsom Salts and warm water, and keep the area dry. Have you tried doing allergy testing to pinpoint exactly what's he's allergic too? And please if you think the only solution to his skin issues is to put him down, please consider surrendering him to a rescue first. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It sounds like there's a lot going on and it's difficult to handle. I get it, we've all been there.

Before doing anything rash, you contact a rescue. If you let us know where you are, we can find one for you. This way, they can get him the proper medical care, training and place him with someone who has experience with all his issues.
You'd be saving his life.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Heck, I would take him if it came down to it. He must be in a lot of pain and is being irritable because of it. I do think that the vet did give you bad advice by telling you that the solution is to put him down.

My frenchie mix has serious allergies too. He is allergic to everything environmental, even cats (he is allergic the most to cats and we have one). We went to a dermatologist and had allergy tests done to figure out what the issues were. Once we discovered what the issues were it made it a lot easier to remedy any skin problems before they occured.

OP
P

PaigeSnyder621

Nov 28, 2014
Kansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you. We are going to continue his antibiotics as advised by the vet. I'm going to schedule allergy testing with the dermatologist in a couple of weeks. He's not very keen on the vet to begin with but having him poked at more while he's so sore probably isn't a good idea. I thought he was looking better yesterday until we gave him his bath. It's so much worse than I thought. We are doing a lot of research and think we have found some answers. Right now, priority one is just getting him healed up enough to tolerate allergy testing without going crazy and biting someone. I appreciate all of the support. I don't want to put him down...he's my big loves. Here is a photo of before and after his bath last night, which was very gentle. His fur and skin is just falling off in hunks. My husband shaved down as much as Winston would let us and hopefully, sooner rather than later, he will be all healed up so we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you all and I'll update you if anything new pops up!
Before and After Bath Dec 3.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you. We are going to continue his antibiotics as advised by the vet. I'm going to schedule allergy testing with the dermatologist in a couple of weeks. He's not very keen on the vet to begin with but having him poked at more while he's so sore probably isn't a good idea. I thought he was looking better yesterday until we gave him his bath. It's so much worse than I thought. We are doing a lot of research and think we have found some answers. Right now, priority one is just getting him healed up enough to tolerate allergy testing without going crazy and biting someone. I appreciate all of the support. I don't want to put him down...he's my big loves. Here is a photo of before and after his bath last night, which was very gentle. His fur and skin is just falling off in hunks. My husband shaved down as much as Winston would let us and hopefully, sooner rather than later, he will be all healed up so we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you all and I'll update you if anything new pops up!
View attachment 81350

sending you LOADS of positive thoughts and prayers that you can get him stable enough for the testing.. poor sweet boy --- best of luck and PLEASE keep us posted on him.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Paige...this is so heartbreaking, I'm so sad...Mother's pug had to
be put down after years of doing everything possible and $$$ but as
she aged, her condition worsened and long term damage from years
of steroids & antibiotics, Puggy lived in misery, it was just kinder to
put her to sleep, so I know how awful you feel, it's overwhelming for
everyone. Praying for Winston to respond to treatment and for y'all's
broken hearts & spirits. Please let us know about him~hugs of comfort!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby Winston… and I agree w/the others. If you get to the point where you feel he's too much to handle, I would contact a rescue. That is a better option than putting him down… and PLEASE do NOT feel that we are judging you in anyway. It's very hard to handle little kids and an aggressive dog, we are here to support you!!!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Prayers and Positive thoughts are coming your way for your Sweet Bulldog Winston. Please Do Not Put Him Down, try everything possible to heal his skin problems, and if your decide after he is well from infection and you are not able to keep him, Please give him to Rescue.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.