General Question Bulldog regurgitation

Zach Wendy Smith

Nov 27, 2014
My bulldog has been regurgitating for a long time he usually does it after he drinks water or eats any food I don't know if he's eating too fast or just excited anybody got any suggestions.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Have you tried a slow feed bowl? Drinking and eating too fast can cause this, especially if it's right after meals.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'm dealing with this now with lola. She eats two raw meals a day but it's not much by volume. Especially if thawed, it would go down real quick. And then she would regurgitate in the late night in bed. So annoying to not sleep because lola would regurg. many times but liquid food would come up at least once.

My hypothesis was ( I'm a scientist) that Lola, since having palate surgery, may have some delay in getting her food into her stomach from her esophagus. Some may call this a form of megaesophagus. A bully i know from Instagram uses a Bailey chair which has the dog sit up to eat. Helps the food move down by gravity.
So... Onto my advice. We choose to feed lola by hand in slower bites, with the food still partially frozen. This slowed her down and make her chew, all while her head was above her body, helping the food go down as well. We were in the process of moving internationally this past week and not one regurgitation following these new rules.

One more thing, we feed her second meal a bit later than we used to, which helps for empty tummy vomits in the middle of the night. Empty tummy is yellow, white, and or foamy. You know what regurg. is. 7pm dinner instead of 4pm. Yep.

sent from my droid mini

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, try to get her to eat slower and see if that helps.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I can also be that there's something in his food that makes him do that. My boy Voitto use to regurgitate after some meals and I found out that it was vegetables that caused it. No veggies (he eats raw), no regurgitating.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is your bully and have you had the soft palate evaluated by a vet? It could be a number of things... eating too fast, enloganted palate, allergy....

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'm dealing with this now with lola. She eats two raw meals a day but it's not much by volume. Especially if thawed, it would go down real quick. And then she would regurgitate in the late night in bed. So annoying to not sleep because lola would regurg. many times but liquid food would come up at least once.

My hypothesis was ( I'm a scientist) that Lola, since having palate surgery, may have some delay in getting her food into her stomach from her esophagus. Some may call this a form of megaesophagus. A bully i know from Instagram uses a Bailey chair which has the dog sit up to eat. Helps the food move down by gravity.
So... Onto my advice. We choose to feed lola by hand in slower bites, with the food still partially frozen. This slowed her down and make her chew, all while her head was above her body, helping the food go down as well. We were in the process of moving internationally this past week and not one regurgitation following these new rules.

One more thing, we feed her second meal a bit later than we used to, which helps for empty tummy vomits in the middle of the night. Empty tummy is yellow, white, and or foamy. You know what regurg. is. 7pm dinner instead of 4pm. Yep.

sent from my droid mini

Thanks - I found your post very interesting as we are in the process of re-establishing Castor's eating after his recent soft palate surgery. He's doing much better than before surgery, but he did threw up yesterday (after having played too soon after eating). If the food takes longer time to get to the esophagus now after the surgery, as you say, this is something we will need to take into account. Castor likes being hand fed, and we've done that since the surgery, but he started eating on his own the day before yesterday. Perhaps we should go back to hand feeding.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
My bulldog has been regurgitating for a long time he usually does it after he drinks water or eats any food I don't know if he's eating too fast or just excited anybody got any suggestions.

Have you tried elevating his food so he doesn't have to bend down to eat it? Depending on the cause this may help. It also seems to slow down Buttercup's eating. Our vet recommended this and it reduced her twice daily regurgitation to only occasionally. I also encourage her to rest after eating (not a hard sell for a bully).

No need to buy fancy elevated stand to try this out -- just use a box or some combination of boxes (e.g. those rectangular post office boxes) to get the bowl to the right height for your dog. Then cover with a dish towel to keep the bowl from slipping off during eating. I haven't found an elevated stand that is the perfect height so unfortunately we are using this hodgepodge of boxes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.