Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bully on Prednisone

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson
    Likes (Received)

Default Bully on Prednisone

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had experiences with their bully on prednisone. Right now he's on a tapering dose for a skin problem (imagine that!), and has started today with 20 mg twice a day. My husband is a little freaked out because he's walking around, kinda restless, and looks sad (he is tired!). I know when people take pred, it can make your behavior different.

What side effects have others had on pred?

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bully on Prednisone

I have had a bully on predisone to get allergies under control.

The main side effect I experienced with him was excessive thirst and urination. This is very common. I think some fatigue is also common but if you feel your bully is depressed, lethargic, and just "off," I wouldn't hesitate to contact your vet and see if there are any alternatives.

Is you bully still eating well? Drinking?

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson
    Likes (Received)

He's eaten just fine today, and is still interested in everything we're eating, so that behavior is normal. And he loves to drink water anyway, so that's stayed the same (and he's had to potty more, which the vet told us to expect).

We also had a really busy day yesterday where he didn't nap as much as normal, and even though we ALL slept a lot today, I wonder if he's also just really tired from yesterday still.

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

Cassie was on prednisone through a lot of her life. She always drank and went to the bathroom a lot. I don't think it affected her sleeping so much , but it was hard to tell...my baby girl loved to sleep! She gained a bit of weight because of it also. If you notice anything strange , I would contact the vet just be be on the safe side.
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, no help here. I'm sure it effects and dogs and people differently, but all I know about it is-- when I took it , it kept me awake for DAYS! It was horrible! Hope he's doing okay on it and his skin problem clears up soon.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Vegas was on prednisone once, he was extra thirsty (and he drinks alot normal anyways) and actually started peeing in the house as well as extra potty breaks outside, which he NEVER did before the prednisone. As soon as he finished his round he did not pee in the house any longer.Hopefully it is not a reaction, maybe Hudson was just extra tired.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tessa and Remmy
    Likes (Received)

I Have a bully "Remmy" who was on predisone not to long ago this year. She has to take it off and on whenever her skin issue comes back on her stomach. And that was the only thing that actually rid her of her scratching and scooting from it when everything else failed. She drank about 2 water containers a day on her own of water, the constant urination, and EXCESSIVE HUNGER. She drove me nuts because it seemed all she did if she wasn't asleep was go around the house checking every nook and cranny to see if there was crumbs or food or something she could eat. It drove me mad. But she had all the classic signs of taking prednisone so I wasn't concerned because it was normal for taking it. She started with 2 pills a day for 5 days, then 1 pill a day for 5 days, then 1 pill every other day for 5 days. Then she was off finally. It made such a difference and I was glad to get thru all of the side effects to finally find a solution to her skin allergy problems.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Sorry not much help here, I hope he is okay, keep us updated!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson
    Likes (Received)

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your advice and thoughts. I called the vet this morning, and they felt his little mood spurts were normal. Our vet said only agression would be a concerning side effect. So, now I guess we all know.

An amusing side note - after we cleaned his face and applied some desitin to dry up his wrinkles, he went over to his bed and rubbed his head on it, then tried to lick up any leftover ointment. Oh my pup....

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvHudson View Post
    Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your advice and thoughts. I called the vet this morning, and they felt his little mood spurts were normal. Our vet said only agression would be a concerning side effect. So, now I guess we all know.

An amusing side note - after we cleaned his face and applied some desitin to dry up his wrinkles, he went over to his bed and rubbed his head on it, then tried to lick up any leftover ointment. Oh my pup....
    @ILuvHudson, I too use desitin, but I have learned, right after applying it to Vegas's wrinkles, no BEFORE...I always shut and lock his crate, because he will do the same thing, run in wipe it off and lick the leftovers!! As soon as I apply it after chasing him and sitting on him like he is a horse, I keep telling what a good boy he is and he is going to get a treat, then I get up and he follows me to the kitchen for his treat, I have learned to distract him for a few minutes and he will forget I put it on him.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@KMARINO Have you ever tried doing it right before one of your walks? I know you have to walk him for potty breaks, maybe that would distract him and he would forget he wants to wipe it off. Wouldn't be great if he rubbed his face on the ground oustide though, then you would have a nasty dirty Vegas face LOL

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KMARINO View Post
    @ILuvHudson, I too use desitin, but I have learned, right after applying it to Vegas's wrinkles, no BEFORE...I always shut and lock his crate, because he will do the same thing, run in wipe it off and lick the leftovers!! As soon as I apply it after chasing him and sitting on him like he is a horse, I keep telling what a good boy he is and he is going to get a treat, then I get up and he follows me to the kitchen for his treat, I have learned to distract him for a few minutes and he will forget I put it on him.
    Thanks for the advice. We did treats after our face routine, and he did very well not wiping it all off.

My husband, on the other hand, thought it was too greesy, and wiped some off the top. I can't win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads