Bully on Prednisone

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had experiences with their bully on prednisone. Right now he's on a tapering dose for a skin problem (imagine that!), and has started today with 20 mg twice a day. My husband is a little freaked out because he's walking around, kinda restless, and looks sad (he is tired!). I know when people take pred, it can make your behavior different.

What side effects have others had on pred?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have had a bully on predisone to get allergies under control.

The main side effect I experienced with him was excessive thirst and urination. This is very common. I think some fatigue is also common but if you feel your bully is depressed, lethargic, and just "off," I wouldn't hesitate to contact your vet and see if there are any alternatives.

Is you bully still eating well? Drinking?

OP
ILuvHudson

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
He's eaten just fine today, and is still interested in everything we're eating, so that behavior is normal. And he loves to drink water anyway, so that's stayed the same (and he's had to potty more, which the vet told us to expect).

We also had a really busy day yesterday where he didn't nap as much as normal, and even though we ALL slept a lot today, I wonder if he's also just really tired from yesterday still.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Cassie was on prednisone through a lot of her life. She always drank and went to the bathroom a lot. I don't think it affected her sleeping so much , but it was hard to tell...my baby girl loved to sleep! She gained a bit of weight because of it also. If you notice anything strange , I would contact the vet just be be on the safe side.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Sorry, no help here. I'm sure it effects and dogs and people differently, but all I know about it is-- when I took it , it kept me awake for DAYS! It was horrible! Hope he's doing okay on it and his skin problem clears up soon.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas was on prednisone once, he was extra thirsty (and he drinks alot normal anyways) and actually started peeing in the house as well as extra potty breaks outside, which he NEVER did before the prednisone. As soon as he finished his round he did not pee in the house any longer.Hopefully it is not a reaction, maybe Hudson was just extra tired.

layea

Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Tessa and Remmy
I Have a bully "Remmy" who was on predisone not to long ago this year. She has to take it off and on whenever her skin issue comes back on her stomach. And that was the only thing that actually rid her of her scratching and scooting from it when everything else failed. She drank about 2 water containers a day on her own of water, the constant urination, and EXCESSIVE HUNGER. She drove me nuts because it seemed all she did if she wasn't asleep was go around the house checking every nook and cranny to see if there was crumbs or food or something she could eat. It drove me mad. But she had all the classic signs of taking prednisone so I wasn't concerned because it was normal for taking it. She started with 2 pills a day for 5 days, then 1 pill a day for 5 days, then 1 pill every other day for 5 days. Then she was off finally. It made such a difference and I was glad to get thru all of the side effects to finally find a solution to her skin allergy problems.

OP
ILuvHudson

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your advice and thoughts. I called the vet this morning, and they felt his little mood spurts were normal. Our vet said only agression would be a concerning side effect. So, now I guess we all know. :D

An amusing side note - after we cleaned his face and applied some desitin to dry up his wrinkles, he went over to his bed and rubbed his head on it, then tried to lick up any leftover ointment. Oh my pup....

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your advice and thoughts. I called the vet this morning, and they felt his little mood spurts were normal. Our vet said only agression would be a concerning side effect. So, now I guess we all know. :D

An amusing side note - after we cleaned his face and applied some desitin to dry up his wrinkles, he went over to his bed and rubbed his head on it, then tried to lick up any leftover ointment. Oh my pup....

[MENTION=1740]ILuvHudson[/MENTION], I too use desitin, but I have learned, right after applying it to Vegas's wrinkles, no BEFORE...I always shut and lock his crate, because he will do the same thing, run in wipe it off and lick the leftovers!! As soon as I apply it after chasing him and sitting on him like he is a horse, I keep telling what a good boy he is and he is going to get a treat, then I get up and he follows me to the kitchen for his treat, I have learned to distract him for a few minutes and he will forget I put it on him.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] Have you ever tried doing it right before one of your walks? I know you have to walk him for potty breaks, maybe that would distract him and he would forget he wants to wipe it off. Wouldn't be great if he rubbed his face on the ground oustide though, then you would have a nasty dirty Vegas face LOL

OP
ILuvHudson

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
[MENTION=1740]ILuvHudson[/MENTION], I too use desitin, but I have learned, right after applying it to Vegas's wrinkles, no BEFORE...I always shut and lock his crate, because he will do the same thing, run in wipe it off and lick the leftovers!! As soon as I apply it after chasing him and sitting on him like he is a horse, I keep telling what a good boy he is and he is going to get a treat, then I get up and he follows me to the kitchen for his treat, I have learned to distract him for a few minutes and he will forget I put it on him.

Thanks for the advice. We did treats after our face routine, and he did very well not wiping it all off.

My husband, on the other hand, thought it was too greesy, and wiped some off the top. I can't win. :rolleyes:

Cat01

Jan 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Maddie
I know I am a little late here, but wanted to chime in on the Pred issue-we actually had to take Maddie off the pred due to aggression, she also experienced big problems with loose stools. If you see any of that with him-I'd get with the doc right away.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.