Help Needed! Bulldog occasionally throwing up white phlegm

lylazoo

Feb 9, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn
I have a beautiful female bulldog puppy who is currently 6.5 months old but since about 3 months she's had random mornings where she wakes up with labored breathing and she has puked up white phlegm (very foamy). Most days she's a very active girl. I have several bulldogs and she's the life of the party. Very happy and very healthy eater, healthy skin, no problems at all. I've had her to the vet many times for this foam situation and she's been on everything from antibiotics to lasix to steroids and nothing changes anything. Like I said, it's not constant. It happens maybe once every few weeks and she's all better by the end of the day when it does happen. My vet now thinks she has an elongated soft palate and that's what's causing this.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Any for sure diagnosis? Any treatment or cure?

Thanks everyone!:cool:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is it.... elongated soft palate. I went through this with two, an english and a french, both times my vet waited to do the procedure till they were 2 yrs old.

OP
lylazoo

lylazoo

Feb 9, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn
Ok, thanks. I thought he was right but i wanted to talk to people who have been through it. He also wants to wait til she's older. It doesn't really hurt her. She's happy and healthy besides this and this doesn't happen very often and she just relaxes for the day then she's fine. She also breaths with her mouth open when she's played hard. I think that is related also.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
My Castor (1.5 years old) went through elongated soft palate surgery (and they also widened his nares) four days ago. I posted about his problems earlier this autumn when we had realized he was not doing well and we got lots of good advice and info: breathing issues

...and then again before the surgery: update on Castor's breathing issues

...and now when he's back home: Castor home after surgery

I received lots of great info here, so hopefully those threads will also help you!

OP
lylazoo

lylazoo

Feb 9, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn
My Castor (1.5 years old) went through elongated soft palate surgery (and they also widened his nares) four days ago. I posted about his problems earlier this autumn when we had realized he was not doing well and we got lots of good advice and info: breathing issues

...and then again before the surgery: update on Castor's breathing issues

...and now when he's back home: Castor home after surgery

I received lots of great info here, so hopefully those threads will also help you!

thank you, i will check this out.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.