Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
We picked our little Floyd up on Tuesday and had a quick puppy health check at the vet and it went well. After having him home for several hours we noticed his lack of control with his bladder. He was peeing a little bit on us and in his bed on the couch in his sleep (which I thought was strange) then once we saw some of the urine on the floor I noticed it was very cloudy. I called the vet in the morning after googling it and thinking he might have a UTI and we got in right away and collected a sample. The vet phoned today with the results, no UTI but his urine was filled with crystals. That specific Crystal is caused by one of two things, worst case a problem with his liver (haven't discussed those details yet of what that will mean) or another that can be found in Bulldogs and Dalmations, which means a special diet and a life being prone to kidney stones ect.... He will be fasting and going for all the tests to confirm Monday. Feeling very sad, he is just so little and we already love him so much I hate thinking of anything being wrong with him already....thanks for listening, just needed to vent.....

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
My prayers to you and little floyd. I hope everything works out ok. Please keep us posted

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby Floyd… I'm going to tag some members that will be able to advice you. Keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry you and Flyod are going through this... I have no experience with this type of issue and hope that everything works out well for you handsome little guy.

sending prayers and positive thoughts

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Leslie, first Welcome to EBN, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Floyd, poor little guy. I hope he's okay, I don't have any experience with this, but hope the vet can treat him. Please keep us posted.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bummer, so sorry to hear that, and hope you can get your baby well soon. I would tell the breeder that. They must have either the sire or dam that has HUU, and should not be breeding that bully.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry that this is happening, but let me ease your sadness a little bit. It does sound like HUU and my older boy has it too. It is very uncommon to show symptoms at such a young age, but it's not as bad as you think. Dalmatians are considered to be homozygous for hyperuricosuria, so every one you see has this condition and not all develope stones. HUU/Hyperuricosuria means elevated levels of uric acid in the urine. This trait predisposes dogs to form stones in their bladders or sometimes kidneys. The dam or the sire don't need have HUU, they only need to both be atleast carriers. Even an effect one can breed if with a clear mate.
You're lucky in the way that you find out now, before stones and a blockage. My boy had to have stones surgically removed when he was about one year old. We took the gene test after that and the result was effected.(Liver shunt is found more often in other breeds.) The vet wanted to put him on Hill's prescription food, but I had already done some research and knew that it is not necessary. These prescription kibbles are so low in protein that they can do him harm more than good. First my boy had some medicine called Allonol (also for people with gout), but after a few months I decided to try without and he did great. In the beginning I use to check his urine pH every week. It's important to keep it at around 7-7,5. Urate stones for in acidic urine, so keeping it more alkaline helps prevent stones, but not too alkaline, since struvite stones can start forming then. That is why you have to know were he's at. I have an electrical meter which is much more accurate than the strips.
Food is a major factor here and my boy, againts all vets recommendations, eats raw food( Absolutely no organs though ). It is not protein that you have to limit, it foods high in purines. You can find a purine table in the internet, just google "purine table".
I also give him regular baking soda 3 times a day to raise his urine pH, about a teaspoon alltogether. You find the right amount by giving it and testing his urine pH. I also give him a product called "Gout Care", again that is for people with gout.
There are some normal commercial foods that are considered safe, but if you deside to feed raw, I can provide you with our menu. There are also a lot of groups for feeding dalmatians where you can get great info. I was a member in the beginning, but not any more. My dearest boy is four years old now and hasn't had any crystals or stones since the operation. I take him to a check up yearly and check his urine pH about every 6 months or if I chance his diet somehow. Of 'course i'd love it if he wouldn't have this condition, but I love him dearly nevertheless and it doesn't make our every day life any different.
DSC_0039.jpgDSC_0156.jpgDSC_0577.jpgDSC_0763.jpg

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Hope Floyd is well soon! Agree with RiiSi that it is probably better you caught the problem early so that you can learn how to best handle it to keep Floyd playing at his best. Hugs to you and Floyd.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor little guy, sending postive thoughts from so Cal.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry to hear little Floyd is not doing well. Best wishes to you.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Prayers and Positive thoughts are coming to Precious Floyd, I Pray he gets all Better. Love To You Sweet Floyd.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.