2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Also cranberry can sometimes be very counterproductive.

WOW.. I never knew that... going to have to do some more reading on it

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
When my Usko had stones he also had UTI. His urine pH was more than 9 and I was confused, since he had urate stones that form in acidic urine. If I now would give him cranberry, he could start developing urate stones since it could make his urine too acidic. Vitamin C is very acidic and is not good in large doses for HUU dogs. Normal dogs urine can sometimes go as low as 4,5, but for Usko that is dangerous.

WOW.. I never knew that... going to have to do some more reading on it

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
NuVet is a great product, we give ours HardyPet Complete, both pretty much the same thing.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Ok, so to f/u w this post, we ended up at the vet AGAIN w poor girl. She had blood in her urine. Urine Analysis showed struvite crystals. So, we did a 3 week stint of antibiotics which we just finished & after some discussion about prescription food (which I was hesitant to do bc of allergies!), the vet agreed and he started her on DL-Methionine. He said it's easier absorbed by dogs than vitamin c which absorbs very quickly & isn't effective unless it's given very frequently which isn't super practical for anyone. So, we just finished the tube that he gave us when this happened at Thanksgiving. He had ordered us pills for her, so I just picked them up. They were $43 for 25 days worth of the supplement. I will take another urine analysis in 3-4 weeks to see if the crystals are gone. (Praying they are!). If this works for her, I am going to do some research to see if I can find it more affordably. I have not started her on any other supplements except probiotics bc he stomach was upset from 3 weeks of antibiotics!

Does anyone have any experience with the DL-Methionine? The dosage she is getting is 1500mg twice per day. UPDATE: I just found 1,000 tablet bottle on amazon for the same price as the vet. So, if this works I will order that if my vet ok's it. That would get us 165 days vs 25! Yikes!

If she gets another UTI, we will have to do a full bladder work up....ultrasound, contrast study, etc. I am happy with my vet's treatment plan to this point.
@Vikinggirl @Davidh @RiiSi @2BullyMama @bullmama @ddnene

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok, so to f/u w this post, we ended up at the vet AGAIN w poor girl. She had blood in her urine. Urine Analysis showed struvite crystals. So, we did a 3 week stint of antibiotics which we just finished & after some discussion about prescription food (which I was hesitant to do bc of allergies!), the vet agreed and he started her on DL-Methionine. He said it's easier absorbed by dogs than vitamin c which absorbs very quickly & isn't effective unless it's given very frequently which isn't super practical for anyone. So, we just finished the tube that he gave us when this happened at Thanksgiving. He had ordered us pills for her, so I just picked them up. They were $43 for 25 days worth of the supplement. I will take another urine analysis in 3-4 weeks to see if the crystals are gone. (Praying they are!). If this works for her, I am going to do some research to see if I can find it more affordably. I have not started her on any other supplements except probiotics bc he stomach was upset from 3 weeks of antibiotics!

Does anyone have any experience with the DL-Methionine? The dosage she is getting is 1500mg twice per day. UPDATE: I just found 1,000 tablet bottle on amazon for the same price as the vet. So, if this works I will order that if my vet ok's it. That would get us 165 days vs 25! Yikes!

If she gets another UTI, we will have to do a full bladder work up....ultrasound, contrast study, etc. I am happy with my vet's treatment plan to this point.
@Vikinggirl @Davidh @RiiSi @2BullyMama @bullmama @ddnene

So good to hear you are getting on track... best of luck and I do hope the supplements do the job!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I hope this works for her and she can get better.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.