Surgery Postponed yet again.. sigh..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wellie had his booster shots, including Bordetella (shot version) about 2 weeks ago. Last week he starting coughing.
Back to the vets we went. Took an x-ray, lungs are clear, were worried about Pneumonia again. But, his trach is inflamed from the cough. So back on Clavamox he went, plus a cough suppressant because we don't want
him vomiting and aspirating again.

I asked if it was because of the bordetella shot and she said no. Well, when I called to postpone his neuter/palate surgery, I was told the shot could have very well caused it.
No idea if this is true or not. But the more and more I deal with vets, the more and more I realize they're all about opinions and very rarely facts.

I'm beyond pissed this happened again. My poor boy can't catch a break.
Plus, the cough medicine completely knocks him out. I mean within minutes of taking it, he's out cold. It's the strangest thing. The med. is called Torbutrol. Anyone have any experience with it?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Good grief, I'm so sorry… poor Wellie. I don't have any idea about the cough meds, but I'm curious as to why they would give him the shot when they know he already has issue w/pnemonia?!! Isn't bordetella only for dogs that are planning to be boarded?!! I know that you live in the city, so it's probably essential for your dogs...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
seriously? why the heck did they give him the KC shot if they knew he was getting ready for that procedure. good LORD, no thought process there at all.
I did not even think it would cause an issue for him, but if they thought there was a chance why not delay till after he rcovered

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] That's exactly why, cause we're in the city. Impossible to avoid other dogs. They're in the elevator, lobby, run into them walking etc. Dogs everywhere here.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] The vet who gave him the shot doesn't think it's possible he caught anything from it.
The surgeon who is going to do his procedure said it's possible. Who knows if it is or isn't.

Thing is, I have Wellie's vaccination record and he had all his shots including Bordetella last November so he was due. I didn't even think about waiting or omitting the bordetella shot. I thought better get them out of the way now rather than chancing him getting sick after the surgery due to a weakened immune system. So this was my fault :( I wanna kick my own butt right now.
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] yes -annoying indeed.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wellie had his booster shots, including Bordetella (shot version) about 2 weeks ago. Last week he starting coughing.
Back to the vets we went. Took an x-ray, lungs are clear, were worried about Pneumonia again. But, his trach is inflamed from the cough. So back on Clavamox he went, plus a cough suppressant because we don't want
him vomiting and aspirating again.

I asked if it was because of the bordetella shot and she said no. Well, when I called to postpone his neuter/palate surgery, I was told the shot could have very well caused it.
No idea if this is true or not. But the more and more I deal with vets, the more and more I realize they're all about opinions and very rarely facts.

I know how you feel, if he got the shot it may not have caused it, but the nasal one , then a big yes. Sorry he's feeling bad again, you're right he needs a break. :(. Poor Wellie :(

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Torbutrol is known to have a sedative effect. That is probably how it stops the coughing. I hope Wellie is soon back to health!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I'm sorry I don't know about the medication. Just sending well wishes for wellie!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I've never heard of torbutrol but it sounds like "albuterol" which is a bronchodilator, and they give that to people who are coughing and have bronchospasms.
Poor little fellow. So frustrating when you're getting different answers from the Vet's office...people who are "supposed" to know what the heck is going on and be on top of things.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Me and Elmo are sending Prayers and a Speedy Recovery for You Precious Wellie. Love and Kisses to this Fine Looking Guy.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks everyone.

Tomorrow is his last day on Clavamox but he's still coughing so I left a message for the vet.
The surgery is now re-scheduled for 12/8 and I dread putting it off again.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hope Wellie gets well soon! Too bad you've had to postpone the operation, but probably for the better - Castor has been throwing up several times after the soft palate / nares operation the other day so not something I would have liked him to have go through with him coughing too.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor Wellie, hopefully everything clears out soon and he can have his surgery done and be on the road to recovery!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hope Wellie gets well soon! Too bad you've had to postpone the operation, but probably for the better - Castor has been throwing up several times after the soft palate / nares operation the other day so not something I would have liked him to have go through with him coughing too.

Yeah, they sometimes throw up because of the anesthesia. It's normal but scary to see it.
Is he still throwing up? Or just yesterday?

They can't do the surgery because the coughing caused an inflamed trach, and he needs to be intubated for the surgery. I'm just hoping we can get it under control as fast as possible.

Poor Wellie, hopefully everything clears out soon and he can have his surgery done and be on the road to recovery!

me too. thank you.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION]
He's thrown up several times today (and some blood in it so he probably has a really sore throat). He seems to be feeling slightly better now, though, and has eaten a bit and taken his medicine. The vet said we should get in touch again if he becomes lethargic. He's still a bit low but cuddly and stays close.

Best wishes to Wellie and his brother!

Most Reactions