Head tremors

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are his allergies food environmental or both? Nitschke was both, but food was worse as it was rice and dairy, and i was feeding a rice based food at the time.

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Are his allergies food environmental or both? Nitschke was both, but food was worse as it was rice and dairy, and i was feeding a rice based food at the time.
Environmental.....happens in the spring and fall.....he will lick his paws and scratch at his face

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
As you can see in the video, you simply touching him got him to stop.
And as soon as you moved your hand away he started again. Also keep in mind that Bulldogs can develop allergies overnight that they hadn't had in the past. So where he's scratching like crazy because of environmental, he can also suddenly develop an allergy to food.
Just something to keep in mind if you notice it happening during the winter. Also excitement, stress, extreme anxiety all can cause this. Along with low blood sugar and pain. Withdrawals from anesthesia is another cause. Although when O suffered from withdrawals, her whole body shook, not just her head.

Rocco is freaking adorable!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This is so scary, gosh Matt I'm so glad to hear that Rocco was able to come out of it. Keep us posted...

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
My Chumley had his first head tremor tonight even though I had heard of them I still got so scared I rang the emergency vet who said if I'm worried bring him over but his eyes were normal and he was fully responsive i was lucky chumleys breeder was online on fb at the time and she confirmed head tremors ice cream and cheese and he is all good it's 11pm and winter here in Australia so I'm glad I wasn't making a dash to emergency vet

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My Chumley had his first head tremor tonight even though I had heard of them I still got so scared I rang the emergency vet who said if I'm worried bring him over but his eyes were normal and he was fully responsive i was lucky chumleys breeder was online on fb at the time and she confirmed head tremors ice cream and cheese and he is all good it's 11pm and winter here in Australia so I'm glad I wasn't making a dash to emergency vet

Love your avatar picture... too cute! Glad he is OK and you got that first one behind you

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Bifi got his first tremmors about a week ago. i, too, knew immediately what it was. gave him food but it only stopped while he was swallowing the food. we played and it stopped altogether. it WAS very scary. when i saw it my heart sank. and i dunno what triggered it too. but im guessing stress is the probable culprit in our case. Bifi was exactly the way Rocco was in your video.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi got his first tremmors about a week ago. i, too, knew immediately what it was. gave him food but it only stopped while he was swallowing the food. we played and it stopped altogether. it WAS very scary. when i saw it my heart sank. and i dunno what triggered it too. but im guessing stress is the probable culprit in our case. Bifi was exactly the way Rocco was in your video.

poor guy, I hope they never come back.

bellaroo

Jun 28, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Daisy
What is everyone's experiences with head tremors- do they last for a day or a few days at a time and then go away for a long time until another episode? Do you notice it at a certain time of the day? My Bella just started getting head tremors four days ago. The first time, I woke up to it in the very early morning hours and she had three more the rest of that morning. Of course, I rushed her to the vet with a video not knowing what was going on. When all of her tests came back okay, they told me it was head tremors, common to bullies. Well, every day now she has at least one while sleeping in the very early morning hours (like 3 or 4 am). I started giving her some low fat frozen yogurt before bed thinking that might help, but it doesn't seem to have helped. What are your experiences? Will this happen every day or will it persist for a few days and then go away for a while? Is it a good idea to give her frozen yogurt every night before bed or wait until she is actually having the tremors?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What is everyone's experiences with head tremors- do they last for a day or a few days at a time and then go away for a long time until another episode? Do you notice it at a certain time of the day? My Bella just started getting head tremors four days ago. The first time, I woke up to it in the very early morning hours and she had three more the rest of that morning. Of course, I rushed her to the vet with a video not knowing what was going on. When all of her tests came back okay, they told me it was head tremors, common to bullies. Well, every day now she has at least one while sleeping in the very early morning hours (like 3 or 4 am). I started giving her some low fat frozen yogurt before bed thinking that might help, but it doesn't seem to have helped. What are your experiences? Will this happen every day or will it persist for a few days and then go away for a while? Is it a good idea to give her frozen yogurt every night before bed or wait until she is actually having the tremors?

In my experience, they come and go in episodes.... my first bully, were in my opinion, worse in summer due to his allergies and our girl, seemed to be stress related -- but keep in mind, there is no know cause for them at all, just they are common in many breeds Bulldogs being the most common. They are painless and harmless.... a treat of any kind during the tremor will stop it. Since they are only happening while she is sleeping -- think of what can be the common denominator during the time of year, what happen during the day, etc. You can not prevent them, but this way you know when to possibly expected them

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
Hi again
These darn head tremors
Chumley had them on 3 occasions during the night fully responsive on all occasions ice cream or cheese stopped them each time only seems to happen at night only lasts a couple of mins and goes as soon as food is in his mouth he is now 18 months old this only started recently this is the 3rd time in bout 2 months 😨

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Hi again
These darn head tremors
Chumley had them on 3 occasions during the night fully responsive on all occasions ice cream or cheese stopped them each time only seems to happen at night only lasts a couple of mins and goes as soon as food is in his mouth he is now 18 months old this only started recently this is the 3rd time in bout 2 months 

I know they can be very upsetting. My Chumley sometimes will have 5 in a day...sometimes he doesn't get them for a week or months straight. I haven't been able to isolate any rhyme or reason why. All I know is that, in his case, the distraction of chewing immediately stops them. It sounds like this is true of your Chumley also.
Chum walks towards me when he gets them now...loke he's looking for his treat to stop them!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.