poor guy, I hope they never come back.
    Thank you Phil. Yeah i hope so too .

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella and Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Head tremors

What is everyone's experiences with head tremors- do they last for a day or a few days at a time and then go away for a long time until another episode? Do you notice it at a certain time of the day? My Bella just started getting head tremors four days ago. The first time, I woke up to it in the very early morning hours and she had three more the rest of that morning. Of course, I rushed her to the vet with a video not knowing what was going on. When all of her tests came back okay, they told me it was head tremors, common to bullies. Well, every day now she has at least one while sleeping in the very early morning hours (like 3 or 4 am). I started giving her some low fat frozen yogurt before bed thinking that might help, but it doesn't seem to have helped. What are your experiences? Will this happen every day or will it persist for a few days and then go away for a while? Is it a good idea to give her frozen yogurt every night before bed or wait until she is actually having the tremors?

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Rocco, I Pray You feel better Sweetie. Kisses and Hugs To You Rocco.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bellaroo View Post
    What is everyone's experiences with head tremors- do they last for a day or a few days at a time and then go away for a long time until another episode? Do you notice it at a certain time of the day? My Bella just started getting head tremors four days ago. The first time, I woke up to it in the very early morning hours and she had three more the rest of that morning. Of course, I rushed her to the vet with a video not knowing what was going on. When all of her tests came back okay, they told me it was head tremors, common to bullies. Well, every day now she has at least one while sleeping in the very early morning hours (like 3 or 4 am). I started giving her some low fat frozen yogurt before bed thinking that might help, but it doesn't seem to have helped. What are your experiences? Will this happen every day or will it persist for a few days and then go away for a while? Is it a good idea to give her frozen yogurt every night before bed or wait until she is actually having the tremors?
    In my experience, they come and go in episodes.... my first bully, were in my opinion, worse in summer due to his allergies and our girl, seemed to be stress related -- but keep in mind, there is no know cause for them at all, just they are common in many breeds Bulldogs being the most common. They are painless and harmless.... a treat of any kind during the tremor will stop it. Since they are only happening while she is sleeping -- think of what can be the common denominator during the time of year, what happen during the day, etc. You can not prevent them, but this way you know when to possibly expected them
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley
    Likes (Received)

Hi again
    These darn head tremors
    Chumley had them on 3 occasions during the night fully responsive on all occasions ice cream or cheese stopped them each time only seems to happen at night only lasts a couple of mins and goes as soon as food is in his mouth he is now 18 months old this only started recently this is the 3rd time in bout 2 months 😨

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mishell View Post
    Hi again
    These darn head tremors
    Chumley had them on 3 occasions during the night fully responsive on all occasions ice cream or cheese stopped them each time only seems to happen at night only lasts a couple of mins and goes as soon as food is in his mouth he is now 18 months old this only started recently this is the 3rd time in bout 2 months 
    I know they can be very upsetting. My Chumley sometimes will have 5 in a day...sometimes he doesn't get them for a week or months straight. I haven't been able to isolate any rhyme or reason why. All I know is that, in his case, the distraction of chewing immediately stops them. It sounds like this is true of your Chumley also.
    Chum walks towards me when he gets them now...loke he's looking for his treat to stop them!

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for all the info everyone ,Chumley is having a run of them atm most nights but they never last long after a treat but I'm thinking why so often ��

Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mishell View Post
    Hi again
    These darn head tremors
    Chumley had them on 3 occasions during the night fully responsive on all occasions ice cream or cheese stopped them each time only seems to happen at night only lasts a couple of mins and goes as soon as food is in his mouth he is now 18 months old this only started recently this is the 3rd time in bout 2 months 
    Have you tried vitamin B supplements? Vitamin B's play a big role in the nerve system and deficiency can be the cause of head tremors. I have a friend whose bully's head tremors stopped and have stayed away, since she started giving him vitamin B supplement. B's are water soluble, so there's no risk of over dose eather.

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley
    Likes (Received)

I like it , it makes alot of sense too will source some here in oz
    Thankyou

12. Likes RiiSi liked this post
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nico and Tia
    Likes (Received)

I have had 2 bulldogs that have had head tremors. In my experience, they go away within 15 minutes after giving about 2 tablespoons of Karo syrup or regular syrup. Since this has always helped with my bullies, I've always assumed that it was low blood sugar.

My bulldog who passed didn't seem bothered by them at all, Nico seems scared when he gets them which isn't very often (maybe 4-5 times a year).

Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

But if they stay away all together with vitamin B? Is it then that the sugar only cures the symptom, not the cause?

Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nico and Tia
    Likes (Received)

You're right, I was just going for the quick fix since I didn't really know what was causing them. Since Nico doesn't have them that often we thought it easier to just use the syrup. I've heard that the syrup doesn't work for some bullies, maybe there are different causes for head shakes?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads