Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
This is a PM that I sent to Christine this morning but just feel like it needs to be said to everyone that helps out on this site, to say I was scared to death is a huge understatement.
Thank you to all of you who take the time to do the research and to write these articles to help new parents have an understanding about what ever may be going on with our little ones. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hey Christine

so last night I looked down at dozer and see his headshaking and immediately think to myself I know I have seen something written about it on EBN, I've read about a lot of things about these Bulldogs but since not dealing with it directly haven't really soaked up much about it.
Not remembering much about the article I immediately started getting paranoid that this is going to be something icky, immediately fired up my computer and got on EBN and was heading for the article but then thought to myself maybe Christine knows something about this so I fired off a PM to you and then went and read the article and couldn't believe it was written by you.

When I watched the first video on the page I knew that dozer deftly is having head tremors because he was shaking his head the exact same way.
It lasted maybe all of 20 minutes but sure seemed a lot longer.
Then started to read the article and was shocked again to see that your boy had gone through this.

This is the first incident where I didn't know what was going on with my guys but knew there was most likely help from EBN, and sure enough you had taken the time to put the article together to put other English bulldog owners mind at rest at such a scary time.
You can bet I have a new appreciation for English bulldog news now.
Thank you Christine so much for taking your time to write that!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
I have read Christine s story and watched the videos several times and can not imagine going thru that with anything, so sorry Dozer is having head tremors it is hard to watch and keep calm. I work with individuals that have severe seizures and it takes a lot out of the caregiver as well, can not imagine going into an incident uninformed. We are very fortunate here to have educated, polite, caring individuals that give up their time and resources to help each other. We also have some of the most sincere, caring, empathetic individuals who give their emotional support. Thank you for this thread as it will help others as it has helped you, and Christine is an angel / support to us all here on EBN

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry Doug, that would scare me to death too. I'm happy you were able to find that thread from Christine.

I hope Dozer is ok.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Thank you to all of you who take the time to do the research and to write these articles to help new parents have an understanding about what ever may be going on with our little ones. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It seems the head tremors are pretty common in EBs. Twenty minutes would feel like an eternity but I am happy and thankful we both found information on this site. Christine's recommendation to give a treat has worked immediately in Buttercup (we used peanut butter) on the two occasions she had similar episodes. Calling her name was not enough to get her full attention.

Even though I read that focal head tremors tend not to generalize to grand mal seizures, I err on the side of caution because at times Buttercup was not too responsive during the episodes. This suggests that her particular episodes may represent complex partial (focal) seizures. Our vet confirmed this after seeing video. In humans, partial seizures can generalize if allowed to continue. I know dogs aren't humans (and again, I've read that in dogs focal head tremors are unlikely to generalize even if they do represent seizure activity), but it's hard for my detail-oriented brain to ignore that little factoid. Now I always carry some kind of treat with me when we go out.

I am also glad Buttercup had these episodes sooner than later as our vet plans to adjust the type of anesthesia used in Buttercup's spay surgery. Seizure history also contraindicates the oral flea & tick preventive Nexgard, which Buttercup took for the first time 3 days before her first episode. But as in Christine's Nitschke, Buttercup's allergies were really flared up at the time of her episodes, so it's not certain that the Nexgard played a role.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about Dozer, but at least you know what it was and what to expect. I can't tell you how grateful I am to everyone on this site who has taken the time to write articles and take videos… the peace of mind that comes w/this in invaluable. I hope that Dozer is doing okay today.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
That is exactly how i found EBN. Ruthie started getting head tremors and i FREAKED out. in my research i found EBN. I'm so thankful for this place! Ruthie is epileptic also and reading about others bullies and their seizures helps me know i have some support when others don't understand. I love that article she wrote too!
I hope Dozer is ok and it was just a one time thing for him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.