Troubled Tallulah

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
They need to use anesthetic to do a chest X-ray? Is she that painful or difficult ? We have been through pneumonia twice with the same one, one chewed a full pin cushion apart, and we had an xray on the fourteen year old to confirm our suspicions of heart failure. None of these required anesthesia to xray. We did need oxygen before and on stand by with the pneumonia though. Hank also requires a sedative shot in the rear for nail trims. He cannot even be bribed for them. His vets believe he actually is in pain with the pressure from the clippers.

Always be careful to have blood work when using steroids. Too much use can cause organ issues as your vet knows and should advise you.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
The steroids are treating the symptoms NOT the cause which is why as
soon as she finishes the pills her issues are back, just a vicious & costly
circle. Demand further tests now, if infection, it gets more difficult to
cure and could lead into pneumonia. Please keep us updated!

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
Not at all, she is wonderfully behaved, particularly at the Vets. I don't believe they would require her to be sedated or anaesthetised to obtain the X-Ray images, she is exceptionally obedient the vast majority of the time.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Curious as to why the vet is waiting two weeks to take the chest x-ray. What was the reasoning?

Tuneybuster

Oct 7, 2014
Seriously... I think you really need to see another vet. I agree that the meds are treating the symptoms. The key is finding the cause. Two weeks is a long time. I also never heard of having to sedate for an X-ray. Poor Tallulah. Hang in there girl, your mama will get you fixed up & feeling better soon.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Okay, so we've been given another course of steroids, alongside powdered medication to thin the mucus/phlegm in the hope that it's easier for Tallulah to expel it. She has been scheduled for an X-Ray in a couple of weeks, giving us time to reduce her weight a little and lower the risks associated with Anaesthesia. Our Vet, Holly, said that her symptoms are inconsistent with Thyroid dysfunction :/ and is more inclined to believe she may be asthmatic

I agree with the others, you should look for a differnet vet and seek a second opinion. Waiting two weeks with a Bulldog that is having breathing difficulties, can lead to other issues and quickly. Sedation (to my knowledge) for x-rays is normally only if the dog is uncooperative or they need to ensure the dog does not move at all during the process.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Chest X-rays should be taken without sedation. Sedation is needed for some X-rays, but for chest the dog has to awake for them to be accurate. Only in very special cases chest X-rays are taken sedated. I also don't think that this vet is "on the map"...

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
Usually the injections/shots and medication improves the symptoms, but like you guys said, they never 'disappear' completely. Previously, I thought perhaps the course or dosage was insufficient (like if we humans were to take just half a course of antibiotics, for example) but the most recent treatment seems to be having very little effect. I have recently discovered that our Vet Practice, although highly recommended and renowned, is not Bulldog Approved. I have sourced a new Vet who is, & will be taking Tallulah there tomorrow - she really isn't herself at the moment and I'm desperate to have this resolved for both of us - at night she seems restless and frequently dozes off in a sitting position, as though it's uncomfortable for her to lie down. I have taken to spending the night near her for fear that her condition should worsen, which naturally is taking its toll on me too. Thank you so much for your ongoing advice and support, from both of us, it really means a lot

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
Oh my. I was worried when we hadn't gotten an update. Our thoughts have been with you and Tallulah. I am sure you are aware of how serious respiratory issues are. If she should vomit or turn blue, she will need to be taken to the emergency vet immediately - time is of the essence.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I too, am hoping for an update & better news, like a diagnosis!
So glad you're getting another Vet to see her, please let us know soon.

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I've not updated you on this.
Please see my new post for more information.
Thank you once again for the support. Kind regards, Zoe amd Tallulah x

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.