Troubled Tallulah

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
Unfortunately Tallulah is facing a number of health issues at the moment, & any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, Tallulah is overweight, weighing around 25kg at the age of 8 months. She has been raised on Royal Canin Puppy/Junior kibble which has recently been substituted for Royal Canin Obesity Management kibble. Her portions have been reduced, and vegetables such as greenbeans and cabbage have been added. Treats consist of ice cubes, frozen fruits and the occasional puppy biscuit. She has two 10 minute walks per day and roams the house & garden freely. Despite this, she does not appear to be losing weight at all.

Secondly, Tallulah has Rear Luxating Patellae, for which she is prescribed 20ml of Metacam per day and participates in strengthening exercises such as stand up-sit down. Having sought advice from her breeder, I also give 1 capsule each of Green Lipped Muscle and Complete Fish Oil daily. Admittedly, this has vastly improved, but I am keen to begin Hydrotherapy sessions to assist further, with which my Vet has agreed. However...

Thirdly, Tallulah has ongoing problems with symptoms for which a cause has yet to be established - a persistent rattling chest and phlegmy cough - for which she has received diuretic injections and medication, antibiotic injections and most recently a course of steriods. The treatments have appeared to improve the symptoms temporarily, but not eradicate them, and subsequently they return. Tallulah often appears lethargic and at times displays uncharacteristically aggressive behaviour. I have moved home (I suspected damp/dust in my old property) & have since purchased a humidifier, but I fear that it is making little or no difference.

I feel that at present Tallulah and I are trapped in a vicious circle, & naturally my concerns are growing. Any help/advice/assistance/suggestions/support on any of the matters would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Zoe & Tallulah

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
Also, she has recently developed a swollen cheek, which does not appear to be causing her pain and is of no concern to the Vet, but again, does not seem to be reducing

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Has you vet check her thyroid? Weight gain and aggressive behavior are sometimes symptoms of thyroid issue

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
She's not mentioned it, as of yet the examinations have been somewhat superficial

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with 2BullyMama, have her Thyroid level checked. The congestion in her chest concerns me, did the vet check for an infection?

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
She examined her manually but as yet has not taken any fluid samples, xrays etc.

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
I would seek a second opinion from a vet on this - promptly. Make sure you have the records sent over from the other vet; don't mention to the other vet that you're getting another opinion from someone else, just have the other clinic request the records. If they want to do a chest X-ray and or blood work, DO IT. This will be extremely valuable information for the vet giving the second opinion. (Do not mention to the new vet that you think the other clinic is doing a poor job. These guys don't like to be pitted against each other and there could be other info that may not be apparent to you; these guys see some unusual things on a daily basis.)

Tuneybuster

Oct 7, 2014
I agree I would have thought with the chest rattling they would have done an X-ray. Get her into another vet ASAP.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just had my boxer diagnosed w/low thyroid… I agree w/the others to get her thyroid checked. I also agree that getting a second opinion might be a good idea, she seems to be having a lot of issues and they may be connected someway. At the very least have her chest x-rayed…

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
We're off to the Vet again in an hour or so, I've requested that she have an X-Ray in the first instance rather than as a secondary measure, I'll let you all know the outcome. I too was surprised that the Vet did not think it prudent to take further action, they are a prestigious practice with a fantastic reputation. Hopefully we will not be forced to change again, Tallulah has grown fond of the staff and the practice pets

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
Each time I've requested an X-Ray, the Vet has proposed a course of medication first

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My guess is on the thyroid as well. Also it's quite odd to suggest medication first without proper diagnosis....I'm not a big fan of those diet kibbles. I suggest raw feeding for weight loss and health over all. BTW it's odd that the finnish list of ingredients reads very different from the english version...:ponder:

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
Hopefully we get some solid answers today - I'll look into the raw feeding, thanks RiiSi :)

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
Thanks for all the advice so far guys :)

OP
TallulahsHuman

TallulahsHuman

Oct 17, 2014
Country
UK - England
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Tallulah
Okay, so we've been given another course of steroids, alongside powdered medication to thin the mucus/phlegm in the hope that it's easier for Tallulah to expel it. She has been scheduled for an X-Ray in a couple of weeks, giving us time to reduce her weight a little and lower the risks associated with Anaesthesia. Our Vet, Holly, said that her symptoms are inconsistent with Thyroid dysfunction :/ and is more inclined to believe she may be asthmatic

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.