Help/Advice needed for Sudden agreesion in 2yr old female

layea

Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Tessa and Remmy
Hello, I am new to this forum but need advice and help on this matter from people who will understand our breed.
I have 2 English bulldogs both females, both spayed, and they are only a few months apart in their ages. They are both 2 years of age right now and I also brought them into my home when they were puppies only a few months apart so its like they were brought home at the same time, and have lived as best friends for the past 2 years. Their names are Tessa and Remmy.
Tessa who is just 4 months older is the more dominant bully, she takes control of situations and you can tell is the Alpha female in the house. But would never hurt a fly. She is sweet and loving, and just full of life, she comes from a champion bloodline and the list goes on and on. I mean other then being to sweet she has no problems with her what so ever.
Both dogs have gotten their yearly shots, with Rabies vaccine, and they are both on heartgard and advantage. They get plenty of excercise, and live a very happy life. Nothing physically has changed as far as their daily life or in the house to disrupt daily life with them.
The problem started a week and half ago with Tessa who like I stated ist he top bully. She started a physical fight with Remmy and they were aggressively fighting until I was able to break them apart and send them to their crates. I thought that it may have been over a bone or toy or something. These daily fights have occured at least once a day if not more for over a week. I have tried picking up all the toys and bones so there is no jealously, putting numerous toys and bones down to pick from etc but nothing has worked. If Tessa is in the same room with Remmy she will fight her. Its like she can't stand the sight of her anymore. If they are outside Tessa has started smelling her and even trying to lick her undercarriage and excessively humping Remmy to the point where they fighting starts outside. We have gone on for a week like this and I have no idea what to do.
These 2 bully's were so close like they were from the same litter and sisters who one day had an argument and that was it. Now I have to keep them totally seperated from one another. Remmy is in fear and runs and tries to hide from Tessa because of so many fights. And I am at my wits end with it all.
I have noticed that since it all started last week Tessa hasn't been herself. She seems to be on edge a lot, bowed up (she has a wide bulldog chest) and constantly starting down any actions going on around her by people or other animals. She seems to have lost her care freeness and sweetness and turned into a huge no pun intended "bully"
I don't know what has sparked this sudden aggression in her. It has been two years and its like last week she just snapped and has been like that since last week everyday.
I really need advice and help on what could have made her suddenly snap and go off and hate her sister bully so much to the point that now they can't be in the same room with one another without Tessa starting a physical fight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I will be making an apt to take TEssa to the vet but I just wanted others advice and because I don't know what in the world to tell the vet to check for or what to tell him to look for because I don't know what could have caused it.

Attachments

• DSCN0473.jpg
    DSCN0473.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 110

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
At 2 years old they are finally full grown. Mature. If you are not the donminate one over the pack a canine will choose to be so. I would watch to see her closely before she attacks to make your move. Stop it before it starts. Hold her to the ground and allow the other to snif her. This may take a few times but it usally works well.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wow I am not much help here but I know we have a few members who are great with this type of thing. Off the top of my head are [MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] and [MENTION=400]froggz[/MENTION] but I know there are more and hopefully you will get a good mix of advice that does help. Aside from making sure there is no health issue which you are going to address I cant give much more. How sad that must be to see this change happen overnight. The pic is adorable and they do look like the bestest of friends. I know my boys have had spats here and there and 1 time Cutty held his grudge with Mugsy for close to a week where he wanted nothing to do with him but that was before getting neutered and he kinda got aggressive at the same time. Seeing that your girls are spayed that obviously wont be any help to you. Welcome to the site anyhow and I hope we can help you figure this out.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Welcome to our group. You have come to the right place. There is so much knowledge here, I know you will get loads of good advise. (Not from me, however, my girls are just pups). This makes me kringe, reading about your girls. Mine are two days apart in age and are best friends, 8 months old It would be terrible if they began fighting like that. I hope you get the help you need.

OP
layea

layea

Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Tessa and Remmy
Thank you for the advice so far. I stayed up very late last night just looking over the typed in search "sudden aggression in dogs" and I got a lost of hits about a thyroid problem when dogs hit adolesence, having a hyperthyroid. A lot of posts I read it was sudden just like with Tessa. Tessa and Remmy have never ever fought before, they are so nice to one another that even if one of them comes over and takes the others bone they were chewing on they just say oh well and move on. But this is something so different then anything I've ever seen. If Remmy is even in the room with Tessa it starts with an eye from Tessa and she goes over to where Remmy is and sort of stands there and looks at her, and then I see the lips start to quiver on Tessa and if I don't seperate them right then and there they go at it. And its not nice what so ever either. I thought at first yelling, distracting, or even spanking Tessa would stop what was about to happen but nothing has worked. I even tried a water bottle and sprayed her with a water bottle if I saw her eyeing Remmy but nope. I have noticed a change in Tessa which is why I think something is wrong internally or chemically. Tessa is my right hand man always with me no matter where I go. I know her personality almost better then my Son's sometimes. And when I look into her eyes its like I see a different dog then before. I would just like to get to the bottom of this because it is very upsetting to say the very least.
I do have to say that I am the dominant one of the house, but I will try the tactic of putting her on her back. I'm not sure if I would try that right now though before I go to the vet because I don't want to put Tessa on her back and have Remmy come over and then be in the middle of something if I am unable to hold Tessa back. I am only able to break the fights apart right now if I can get ahold of Remmy because she is smaller and I can actually pick her up and out of the brawl. There is always jealousy when it comes to the two of them. Can't pet one without the other or give one a treat without the other. But even when they try to push each other out of the way to get my attention they have never fought a single time and just say oh well I'll try the other side of her or just walk away. This is so new its unreal.
I just really want answers and they don't seem to be able to come quick enough. =(

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have two males that are very, very close and I can image how heartbreaking this is for you.

I don't have any great advice to offer than to attempt to firmly establish yourself as the alpha figure when you are around the girls and be sure they know YOU are the leader. Not Tessa.

Rest assured, people on this board have been through this before and although it's hard and I understand you want answers now, someone will be able to give you better insight and advice!

Welcome to the board.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I would def take her to the vet and rule out anything health wise causing this. It could be a brain lesion or even a tumor. Their behavior can change rapidly and it can be deadly. I would rule this out ASAP. If its behavioral , which would be better than a health issue. SHe is trying to win the role as alpha. That would be the cause for humping, licking and fighting. I would use a leash on her when she is out around your other girl and correct her when she gives a look,body gesture or tone that is aggressive. You must curb this behavior quickly. You should also make sure you are the established Alpha. You can research alpha behaviors and find alot of useful tips. It may sound silly but what the dog whisperer and its me or the dog. They have ALOT of useful tips . Hope this helps

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I have had it happen to 2 of my females as well.... it was a jealousy issue for ours, it must be corrected right away, or they must be kept separate as they can cause great damage to the other dog and to you if it gets bad enough. I would try a shock collar to get her attention as soon as you see it coming, and having her on a leash is not a bad idea either. Letting them know you are the boss and you won't tolerate such behavior is the only way to get them to stop. I wish you all the best!!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I do agree that you have to be Alpha.....not either of your bullies! Bulldogs are like kids. They will push the boundries to get away with as much as possible. Bullies are also often possesive. Keeping them apart will not solve the problem. They will be happier girls when they learn to get along. It sounds like they need one on one training rather than a "class". When they get training in their environment, its easier for them to learn and easier for you to control after the trainer leaves. Do either of them sleep with you? I have been told this cause possesive behavior as well.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I have to males that are aggressive. Although 1 is an english bulldog, the other is a much bigger American Bulldog. LeRoy would literally try and kill Norman... I think my issue is dominance. I used an air horn and when I noticed a slight difference, I'd blow the airhorn right at the dog initiating the behavior. That worked for awhile... while I was outside, I used a dog whistle. That still works. My boys now tolerate each other. They can be in the same room with each other and sleep in the presence of one another. But when we play, 1 of the boys get put away, while we play with the other, and vice versa. It's working well with us. Hopefully you can work it out with your 2.

I forgot to mention... I am ALWAYS in the middle of them. If they are sitting in the living room, I'm in between them so I can stop whatever looks they give each other quickly.

OP
layea

layea

Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Tessa and Remmy
Thank you for all of the advice. I have a vet apt on Wed morning to get Tessa checked out first. I would think that it was just a fluke that started the daily attacks (and I mean daily because it has occured every day I have not had them kept apart) but even when Tessa is out of her crate something still seems off with her. I know her very well, probobly to well and she isn't acting like her normal self. If she was still being her normal everyday self then I would't be as worried over it all. But something just isn't right with her and I can tell. I couldn't even tell you what started the first fight a week ago. I was shocked because they are great with each other and have never fought in two years, and I thought that it was just a one time thing until it happened every single day for over a week sometimes twice a day. I have to have them seperated because the minute they are in the same room they fight no matter what I do to stop it.
They do not sleep with me no (someone had asked that above). They both have a crate that they sleep in. With both of them I just say Tessa, Remmy, night night time to go to bed and they both walk in to each of their crates or rooms as we call them. They are really very obediant. I can even say Tessa time for a bath and she walks into my master bath walk in shower to take a bath. Compared to ther bulldog homes I've heard about I have it really easy with them and with Tessa. I never pet one without the other, or give one a treat without the other. I always make sure I am not playing favorites.
I just hope a solution is figured out because its so sad to sit and listen to Tessa whine from her crate to come out when she is sent to her room after a fight.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Oh wow! That must be very heartbreaking. I think you got some great advice above and will hopefully get an answer on weds. Good luck and welcome to the site. Keep us posted.

OP
layea

layea

Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Tessa and Remmy
Thanks for all the support from everyone, and I will surely let you know what the vet says after Wed. I have sat here on and off all day today typing every option I could think of on the internet to try to find a case like mine and a solution or what it was from rather but no luck. I am truly at a loss right now. Its hard to watch Tessa be so on edge all the time, I'm not even sure if she is even sleeping or sleeping with one eye open. When it is her turn to be out right now she sits straight up in her bed at attention and just watches everything going on. She is very fast in her actions and runs rather then walks places like to the back door or wherever I am going in the house, and like I mentioned she seems very uptight or on edge (not skiddish) just like she is always tense or something.
She is always laid back and easy going and really just looks happy is the only way I can put it, and she just doesn't look happy. She isn't moping or signs of depressed just not her happy self.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
After ruling out anything medical there are some things you may want to start doing around your home to show Tessa that you are the boss, not she.

As alpha of the pack YOU need to make sure that you are first at just about everything. You enter and exit through doorways first, and then ask them to follow. When feeding the girls, make sure each one sits or even lies down before receiving their dish. The humans of the family need to be eating before the girls as well. When they get leashes put on, make them sit before it happens.

You do need to be very vigilant on the dogs behaviour. Study dog body language a bit and you'll start seeing signals from Tessa that she's declaring dominance over Remmy. As SOON as you see these signals you need to step in and assert your dominance over Tessa, showing her she is NOT the pack leader. As suggested hold her to the ground until she relaxes. Some dogs respond better being rolled onto their backs first. (Most likely the first time you attempt this she's going to fight like no other. The easiest way I've found to bring down a wiggling bulldog is to take the front and back paws furthest from you and pull them closer to you while using your shoulder to push the dog over)

As alpha leader you also need to make sure your controlling the "assets" such as food, water, toys, outside, playtime etc. Leaving them scattered is making Tessa claim them, because nobody else is claiming them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online