TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Sounds like Tyson is going to get some relief. The meds given to him will help tremendously! But watch out, they can give you a false sense of security.... The symptoms will likely return a few weeks after the meds are done. Finding the source of the allergies is the hardest (but most important) part.

Check out the allergy article if you haven't already, it will help you in different treatment options.

Tyson is going to be feeling so much better soon!

You are so right Bullmama!!! The Vet said just that, she said the meds will work great & get him feeling better, but they are never healed, just controlled....She said she doesn't think the food is the biggest culprit since he's never had food allergies before. She says she thinks its more environmental because this year has been the worse she's seen with horrible allergies in other dogs as well... but still recommends the food change, which we were already considering anyhow. I just know he's gonna be a little disappointed in no more treats, etc for a while. LOL

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@2BullyMama @bullmama @Davidp @Blueberrys Mom - Just wanted to update ya'll - We took Tyson to the vet this morning, and the verdict is Allergies! Severe allergies :( Both environmental and possibly food related. She gave us a steroid (Prednisolone), Ketoconazole, and Cephalexin for relief, and said the baby needs to lose at least 10 lbs. Also, she wants his food switched, although he's been on grain free Salmon/Sweet Potato Natural Balance, she said they can get an intolerance to it after a long time... so we need to completely switch the protein, he will be on a 2 month trial, limited to just his food, no treats, no supplements, no nothing to see how he responds. He's not gonna like it too much in the beginning, but we know its for his health, and so very thankful its not anything serious. We're looking into FROMMS, Orejin, and Acanea tonight...I've heard good from all, so wish us luck!

Hopefully once the season is over, Tyson will start to feel better!

When you change food, the one thing you need to make sure of it that it only has one protein. You need to read the ingredients to do that, don't go by the name alone as most kibble have multiple sources of protein.
So Fromm's Salmon Tunalini, also has Chicken Liver and Chicken fat. Both ingredients are far down the list which means they're included in small amounts, but if you really want to find out if it's a protein allergy, you need to stick with one protein.
A limited ingredient formula would be best. That's really the only way to do it.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hopefully once the season is over, Tyson will start to feel better!

When you change food, the one thing you need to make sure of it that it only has one protein. You need to read the ingredients to do that, don't go by the name alone as most kibble have multiple sources of protein.
So Fromm's Salmon Tunalini, also has Chicken Liver and Chicken fat. Both ingredients are far down the list which means they're included in small amounts, but if you really want to find out if it's a protein allergy, you need to stick with one protein.
A limited ingredient formula would be best. That's really the only way to do it.

I appreciate this suggestion so much, now I def know what to look for! Thank you so much! I may start to look online now to read ingredients...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama @bullmama @Davidp @Blueberrys Mom - Just wanted to update ya'll - We took Tyson to the vet this morning, and the verdict is Allergies! Severe allergies :( Both environmental and possibly food related. She gave us a steroid (Prednisolone), Ketoconazole, and Cephalexin for relief, and said the baby needs to lose at least 10 lbs. Also, she wants his food switched, although he's been on grain free Salmon/Sweet Potato Natural Balance, she said they can get an intolerance to it after a long time... so we need to completely switch the protein, he will be on a 2 month trial, limited to just his food, no treats, no supplements, no nothing to see how he responds. He's not gonna like it too much in the beginning, but we know its for his health, and so very thankful its not anything serious. We're looking into FROMMS, Orejin, and Acanea tonight...I've heard good from all, so wish us luck!

Hope on e of the new foods makes the difference for him.... we had the issue with Banks, she is allergic to chicken and has a sensitivity to salmon so I started feeding the Fromm Pork and Peas, alot of her issues went away.

Best of luck... keep up posted

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hope on e of the new foods makes the difference for him.... we had the issue with Banks, she is allergic to chicken and has a sensitivity to salmon so I started feeding the Fromm Pork and Peas, alot of her issues went away.

Best of luck... keep up posted

Thanks :) 2BullyMama - I think I'm going with the pork & peas, it seems to be just one protein (besides egg) - hoping it works great for him like it did for Banks :) The other is Acana - Pork & Butternut Squash... but leaning more towards the Fromm. I love all the fruits, and coconut oil it also has!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks :) 2BullyMama - I think I'm going with the pork & peas, it seems to be just one protein (besides egg) - hoping it works great for him like it did for Banks :) The other is Acana - Pork & Butternut Squash... but leaning more towards the Fromm. I love all the fruits, and coconut oil it also has!

She did good on Beef Frittata too, but Lamb and lentil did not agree with her at all

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom Cool, didn't notice you were from Katy. We lived in Katy for years, and just recently moved out here to Fulshear. I don't know what vet you use, but if you want an excellent bully vet, try Brittmoore Vet clinic. Dr. Dykeman, is who we try to use all the time as he is an old school vet and I like him. The other Dr.s are very good with bullies too.

Not sure if you saw my update from the vet, but wanted to let you know we took him to Brittmoore! Dr. Dikeman doesn't work Fridays so we saw Dr.
Chellappan. The place def looks like its been around for a while, and its not nice & new like our regular vet....but no complaints! The nurse & Dr.
Chellappan were both so nice & explained everything to us very well, as well as great attention to Tyson. I think we may keep going there... we saw 3 other bulldogs in our time there! That definitely is a good sign!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] cool, I'm glad you took him there, they are awesome vets and know their bullies. Glad he is feeling better, and hope you can figure out what he is allergic to so he will get better. The food change should help some too.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Ha, I'm in Dickinson and Canelo goes Brittmoor animal clinic, off of I10 and the Beltway. Great bully vet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.