Eye Allergies or Infection?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi, new to here, and I've been reading several posts regarding bully eyes, allergies, etc. Tyson is 8 yrs. old, and suffers from allergies constantly. For the most part, we keep them under control, and they have mostly always been to his body, paws, etc.... but now his eye seems to be red & watery, and the entire area around his eye is red, with small bumps. I don't know if its allergies or an infection. Yes, he has goop in his eyes when he wakes up, but its not green, its more of a whiteish color. I heard Polysporin Eye drops are good, but I don't want to give him those (he fights us with anything near his eyes/ears) especially if its not an infection. He can open his eye fine, but tends to keep it slightly less closed compared to the other. We give him ACV in his water, yogurt, Omega, I'm out of ideas! Benadryl tends to help but just temporarily.... I hate just giving him things... we were recently giving him turkey (deli meat) with his vitamins, could those be the cause??? We've stopped it since yesterday....I also had started giving him Salmon Oil.... could this be it?? He's been on the same food his entire life (Natural Balance - Salmon/Sweet Potato) and we mix a few spoons of canned BLUE to give it some moisture. I have done extensive research on cherry eye, and its not that. Just very red, watery, and the entire area around the one eye is red as well. Most recently we've been cleaning it with sterile eye wash...it helps a bit, but not completely... I just don't know what more to do... I should mention that we live in TX, which is home to every allergy possible.... He is completely himself, no problems with eating, or anything. I just don't have much experience with eyes since its never been an issue before! Help!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm gonna say something and I don't wan you to take it personally, it's just a general comment in regards to supplements and such.

If your bulldog was doing good, no allergies, no reactions, just healthy all around- don't add anything. Our bullies are very sensitive. Any food change or addition can bring upon the opposite of what you were hoping to achieve.

So if he was doing good before the deli meat and salmon, take him off both. Give it a few weeks, and see if it clears up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome... My girls has the same thing right now and it is her allergies, not much I can do for her. I give her Benedryl and wash the eye each day. She is fine in the morning, but when I get home from work in the a afternoon, it is all red and soaked in tears

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Not taken personally at all, I thank you for the advice. We did stop both yesterday. The Salmon oil was given initially in hopes to help with his shedding, but that has passed. He's never had issues with his eyes, so I didn't know what else to do... I also didn't know if he could become allergic to his food after eating the same brand for a while...he's always suffered from allergies, and I just want him to be comfortable so I try natural remedies instead of pumping him with meds. Def stop the turkey & salmon oil last night. Here's to hoping it clears. I've just noticed as he gets older, the more things pop up :(

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Same here 2BullyMama, he'll be fine after Benadryl & eye wash, then I come home and he's all red again. Its so frustrating when you just want to help them! The eye looks so red, and the whole area around his eye is too. (Only one eye) I appreciate the comment! I'm gonna stop giving him the 2 things mentioned earlier... and keep with the benadryl & washes...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Not taken personally at all, I thank you for the advice. We did stop both yesterday. The Salmon oil was given initially in hopes to help with his shedding, but that has passed. He's never had issues with his eyes, so I didn't know what else to do... I also didn't know if he could become allergic to his food after eating the same brand for a while...he's always suffered from allergies, and I just want him to be comfortable so I try natural remedies instead of pumping him with meds. Def stop the turkey & salmon oil last night. Here's to hoping it clears. I've just noticed as he gets older, the more things pop up :(

It could very well be the food. They do tend to develop an intolerance after awhile. But it could also just be because it's allergy season :(

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Not the greatest pics, but you can see the red all around his eye...We get the allergies on his paws under control, and now its to his eyes!! Poor guy needs a break! lol... this site is wonderful, I appreciate your comments & suggestions!

tyseye.JPG2.jpgtyseye.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Not the greatest pics, but you can see the red all around his eye...We get the allergies on his paws under control, and now its to his eyes!! Poor guy needs a break! lol... this site is wonderful, I appreciate your comments & suggestions!

View attachment 79885View attachment 79884

That is almost exact of Banks eye... Her eye is all pink/red on the outer edge and at times cracks and bleeds. Vet told me it is all environmental allergies for her. I also noticed the ear on the same side is more dirty than the other o I'm going with environmental allergies. I clean the eye a few times a day, warm wash cloth and then put on an ointment the vet gave me to prevent cracking and help clear it up. And her ears I check daily and clear as needed.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
You don't know how much this makes me feel better. I love him so much and just want him to be comfy.... and of course, I want to make sure I'm not the one causing it by giving him things I thought would benefit him. I pride myself in keeping him feeling & looking good.....I clean his eye multiple times a day, his ears too.... and use destin in his folds. I owe him everything... my little stink butt has gotten me through some hard times. So I greatly appreciate your feedback, and feel better knowing he's not the only one... I hope the colder weather approaching kills whatever is getting him.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say it's just allergies, as they are going crazy around here, so give it a few days and see if it gets better, before going to the vet.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You don't know how much this makes me feel better. I love him so much and just want him to be comfy.... and of course, I want to make sure I'm not the one causing it by giving him things I thought would benefit him. I pride myself in keeping him feeling & looking good.....I clean his eye multiple times a day, his ears too.... and use destin in his folds. I owe him everything... my little stink butt has gotten me through some hard times. So I greatly appreciate your feedback, and feel better knowing he's not the only one... I hope the colder weather approaching kills whatever is getting him.

I'll post a picture when I get home so you can see it

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I would say it's just allergies, as they are going crazy around here, so give it a few days and see if it gets better, before going to the vet.

Thanks David! We're in Katy, pretty close to you! Its been a rough year with allergies for us..I don't think he's ever had them this bad :( I just didn't know if it could possibly be an infection, but all the feedback from here helps tremendously!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'll post a picture when I get home so you can see it

You are too kind. Everyone else I ask thinks I'm nuts, at least here, people relate & understand the love for these guys!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Cool, didn't notice you were from Katy. We lived in Katy for years, and just recently moved out here to Fulshear. I don't know what vet you use, but if you want an excellent bully vet, try Brittmoore Vet clinic. Dr. Dykeman, is who we try to use all the time as he is an old school vet and I like him. The other Dr.s are very good with bullies too.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom Cool, didn't notice you were from Katy. We lived in Katy for years, and just recently moved out here to Fulshear. I don't know what vet you use, but if you want an excellent bully vet, try Brittmoore Vet clinic. Dr. Dykeman, is who we try to use all the time as he is an old school vet and I like him. The other Dr.s are very good with bullies too.
@Davidh - David, I've actually heard that name several times, and I'm seriously considering a change, I want someone who is familiar & experienced with bullies. Tyson has actually been seeing Dr. Baird, at Fulshear Animal Hospital his whole life... no complaints per say.. but its just been basic vaccinations, and everything always comes back with "allergies" being the cause for smaller issues, he's been in great health for most his life until recently. He had some major issues back in July with an enlarged prostate, and then respiratory attack coming out of surgery (we almost lost him) :( ... we took him to the new NHVS right off of Fry & I-10 (due to the time - 2am), Dr. Manion there is incredible! She went to Alabama, and has experience with bullies. God forbid any emergency should occur, but its nice to know that we have a true 24/7 right there if needed. I think I may look into Dr. Dykeman, esp if he comes recommended. Thanks!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.