When to neuter?

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
With my past dogs and cat I have neutered right away. I have read some things that make me think maybe i should wait to neuter Dozer. I know bulldogs have issues with being sedated and also I have read several articles that suggest the bone caps do not close at the appropriate time and the tend to be taller than they should if you neuter prior to 6 to 7 months. I am thinking of waiting till he is around one and a half. Since he wont have the opportunity to make accidental puppies, there doesn't seem to be any urgency. Has anyone else heard of any of these things? Should I wait longer, or have it done sooner? What have you guys done?:confused:

Last edited:

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I have also heard of waiting till around 7 months for EBDs for the reasons you mentioned... waiting does increase the risk of developing humping and marking behaviors though.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I can recommend a wonderful Vet if your concerned at about them putting him under. I waited until Winston was 2 because Im an over protective bully mama and it took that long to find a Vet i really trusted. It will benefit him in many ways to neuter him. They can develope issues even at a young age. We are dealing with this as we speak with one of our rescue bullies...he is only 2 and will be having his 3rd surgery next week. If he had been neutered sooner.....he would be just fine.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have no idea, I have girls. But I'm curious, [MENTION=939]NikkiSchoolcraft[/MENTION]: What are the issues that arise because a dog isn't neutered sooner. You mentioned a rescue dog, I'm just curious about these surgeries he had to have.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Personally I would neuter around 6 months. I have heard many things about growth also but not sure that is true or not. We waited to neuter Cutty because we got him at 9 months and the breeder had [possibly wanted to show him still so we left him in tact. He developed anger issues after turning a year or so and I am 100% positive that had we neutered him right away we never would have had to deal with them. Once we did get him fixed he returned to the sweet boy we had before or about 95% anyhow. He still isnt the same in every way, doesnt like to be picked up anymore and other things in that family bother him. No biggy he is just grumbly now but he was so laid back before this happened that I will forever neuter around 6 months or so to avoid this in the future.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
@cali`jenn Thanl for the info that is something I hadn't even considered. i am going to talk to the vet more aboout this.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=939]NikkiSchoolcraft[/MENTION] I just switched to Dr. Phillips at woodland he is supposed to be good for bulldogs, but I am totally open to suggestions and I would like your opnion of him if you have one.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I have a girl too but she was spayed at about 6 months, the only problem we had was an infection to the incision but it cleared up quickly with antibiotics.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Truman got fixed at 4 months, which is very young, but he was having hip surgery and the vet did it while she was in there and also, to ensure that we did not breed him because his hips were so bad. I was concerned he'd develop differently but I don't really think he has and is growing like a weed and looks like he's going to be a fine male bulldog.

Bentley got fixed at 6 months and it was a non-issue. The vet recommended around six months so we went ahead and did it.

Now, Linus was supposed to get fixed at 6 months but because I was getting married, then on my honeymoon, then in Europe, then his surgery got canceled - it got severely delayed. Linus was close to 9 months when we got him fixed and he is larger than both of my other bullies, which I have no idea if is a result of him remaining in tact for longer but he did develop some annoying humping tendencies that were not present in my other bulldogs. They did get better after he was neutered but, to this day, he cannot get near my vacuum cleaner or my friend's female German Shepherd without doing some air humps!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] Dr Phillips is a great bully Vet. We use him for the rescue from time to time and a few volunteers take their bullies there as well. He is also the most expensive Vet I have ever been to. I go to and refer most people I know to Parkside in Fishers. I love love love Dr. Johnson and Dr Havens. They see all of my bullies and most of our north side fosters. You cant go wrong with either place and they both really know bullies. I wouldnt have any worries with either doing a neuter.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] the bully is a rescue with the Indiana Bulldog Rescue. He has had a prolapsed urethra and prostate issues. He is only 2 1/2 He finally was able to have his neuter a few weeks ago, but is still having lingering issues and will require yet another surgery. He literally has blood squirting out of his penis when he gets excited. We were told this happens to un-neutered males. Im so glad nothing like this happened to Winston..I would have freaked out!!!! :eek: There are just so many issues such as these and types of cancer that are eliminated when you neuter. Unless you are a breeder, I firmly believe it is best for your bully to spay/neutered.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
@cali`jenn Thanl for the info that is something I hadn't even considered. i am going to talk to the vet more aboout this.

Not that every bully will have issues like this but I just figure if it can help to prevent them in any way it is worth it to me anyhow.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.