Crap these stinkers have kennel cough

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
We picked up Tyson a week and a half ago. When we brought him home he was fine. A day later he starts the coughing and his nose is running like a faucet. Luckily I had scheduled an appt to get a well check-up. Turns out he had a cough and the vet said it happens a lot with puppies because of low immunity and just being around other dogs. He prescribed antibiotics and also told us to keep a good eye on Raven. While her immunity is a lot better and she has all of her vaccines you just never know. Well fast forward a week and Tyson seems to be almost all good. I noticed on Tuesday night Raven's nose started running a bit. Made sure to keep an eye. Well I called the vet and he told me to pick up some meds for her. She took the meds a day and. Started noticing last night that her mucus was tinged with blood. Made me really nervous. Then early this morning she was aspirating a lot more blood. I had so many horrible things going through my mind. I took both of them to the vet ASAP this morning, he changed the antibiotics and took two cultures from Raven. Official diagnosis is Kennel cough. He just needs to see which bacterial strain it could be. What's scary is that he said there has been a big uptick of it in the area. I was so scared, other than a strain Raven has been really healthy. Sucks because it is like having a sick infant, feels so bad when you don't know just what is wrong and how to help them.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well the good thing is, you got them to the vet and got them the help they need. They will be back in shape in no time. I am hoping for a quick recovery for you babies.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks David. I am praying they get better soon. It is miserable watching her suffer like this,

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We picked up Tyson a week and a half ago. When we brought him home he was fine. A day later he starts the coughing and his nose is running like a faucet. Luckily I had scheduled an appt to get a well check-up. Turns out he had a cough and the vet said it happens a lot with puppies because of low immunity and just being around other dogs. He prescribed antibiotics and also told us to keep a good eye on Raven. While her immunity is a lot better and she has all of her vaccines you just never know. Well fast forward a week and Tyson seems to be almost all good. I noticed on Tuesday night Raven's nose started running a bit. Made sure to keep an eye. Well I called the vet and he told me to pick up some meds for her. She took the meds a day and. Started noticing last night that her mucus was tinged with blood. Made me really nervous. Then early this morning she was aspirating a lot more blood. I had so many horrible things going through my mind. I took both of them to the vet ASAP this morning, he changed the antibiotics and took two cultures from Raven. Official diagnosis is Kennel cough. He just needs to see which bacterial strain it could be. What's scary is that he said there has been a big uptick of it in the area. I was so scared, other than a strain Raven has been really healthy. Sucks because it is like having a sick infant, feels so bad when you don't know just what is wrong and how to help them.

Not sure where you are in nyc, but I'm in the city, Battery Park city neighborhood. Here, everyone has a dog and many of us have the same vet. Turns out,
influenza is going around.

Mention this to your vet if he's not aware. Three of the dogs here that caught it, had complications and it turned into an pneumonia. Blue had Kennel Cough (or Influenza, we never found out) over the summer. If I remember correctly, he was put on 250mg of azithromycin for a total of 10 days.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgI'm so sorry raven and Tyson are going through this, but glad you caught it early and the vet was anle to culture the exact Bactria, which will make it easier to treat. I hope Raven recovers as quick as Tyson. These guys really do worry us with all their issues, just like children. Sending love, hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Kennel Cough in Dogs

Share this:

If your dog is hacking away or constantly making noises that make it sound like he's choking on something, he may have a case of kennel cough, or canine infectious tracheobronchitis. Although kennel cough can sound terrible, most of the time it is not a serious condition, and most dogs will recover without treatment.

What is Kennel Cough?

Just as human colds may be caused by many different viruses, kennel cough itself can have multiple causes. One of the most common culprits is a bacterium called Bordetella bronchiseptica m-- which is why kennel cough is often called Bordetella. Most dogs that become infected with Bordetella are infected with a virus at the same time. These viruses, which are known to make dogs more susceptible to contracting Bordetella infection, include canine adenovirus, canine distemper virus, canine herpes virus, parainfluenza virus and canine reovirus.

Dogs "catch" kennel cough when they inhale bacteria or virus particles into their respiratory tract. This tract is normally lined with a coating of mucus that traps infectious particles, but there are a number of factors that can weaken this protection and make dogs prone to kennel cough infection, which results in inflammation of the larynx (voice box) and trachea (windpipe).

These factors include:

Exposure to crowded and/or poorly ventilated conditions, such as are found in many kennels and shelters
Cold temperatures
Exposure to dust or cigarette smoke
Travel-induced stress

Symptoms of Kennel Cough

The classic symptom of kennel cough is a persistent, forceful cough. It often sounds like a goose honk. This is distinct from a cough-like sound made by some dogs, especially little ones, which is called a reverse sneeze. Reverse sneezes can be normal in certain dogs and breeds, and usually only indicates the presence of post-nasal drip or a slight irritation of the throat.

Some dogs with kennel cough may show other symptoms of illness, including sneezing, a runny nose, or eye discharge.

If your dog has kennel cough, he probably will not lose his appetite or have a decreased energy level.

Treating and Preventing Kennel Cough

Kennel cough is contagious. If you think your dog might have the condition, you should keep him away from other animals and contact your veterinarian.

Although most cases of kennel cough will resolve without treatment, medications may speed recovery or minimize symptoms during the course of infection. These include antibiotics that target Bordetella bacteria and cough medicines.

You may also find that keeping your dog in a well-humidified area and using a harness instead of a collar, especially for dogs that strain against a leash, will minimize the coughing.

Most dogs with kennel cough recover completely within three weeks, though it can take up to six weeks in older dogs or those with other medical conditions. Because serious, ongoing kennel cough infection can lead to pneumonia, be sure to follow up with your veterinarian if your dog doesn't improve within the expected amount of time. Also, if your dog at any time has symptoms of rapid breathing, not eating, or listlessness, contact your vet right away, as these could be signs of more serious conditions.

Treating and Preventing Kennel Cough continued...

There are three forms of vaccine for kennel cough: one that is injected, one that is delivered as a nasal mist, and one that can be given by mouth. Although these vaccines may help, they do not guarantee protection against kennel cough or infectious tracheobronchitis because it can be caused by so many different kinds of bacteria and viruses. Also, it is important to realize that neither form of the kennel cough vaccination will treat active infections.

The intranasal and oral kennel cough vaccinations are typically given to dogs once a year, but sometimes are recommended every six months for dogs at high risk for kennel cough. These forms of the vaccine tend to provide dogs protection against kennel cough sooner than the injected product.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure where you are in nyc, but I'm in the city, Battery Park city neighborhood. Here, everyone has a dog and many of us have the same vet. Turns out,
influenza is going around.

Mention this to your vet if he's not aware. Three of the dogs here that caught it, had complications and it turned into an pneumonia. Blue had Kennel Cough (or Influenza, we never found out) over the summer. If I remember correctly, he was put on 250mg of azithromycin for a total of 10 days.

We are in Glendale, Queens. The vet mentioned an outbreak. They are both now on Azithromycin because the other wasn't working as well as it should have. I think it is working a bit better for her. The bloody aspiration seems to have slowed up about 80%.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 79776I'm so sorry raven and Tyson are going through this, but glad you caught it early and the vet was anle to culture the exact Bactria, which will make it easier to treat. I hope Raven recovers as quick as Tyson. These guys really do worry us with all their issues, just like children. Sending love, hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery.

The stinkers appreciate the well wishes..thank you. Waiting on the culture results. She at least ate today. You know what's funny....Tyson has been eating like a champ. Matter of fact he has already gained two pounds since we brought him home. Amazing how things affect them both so differently.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your babies… I hope that they feel better soon!!!

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry to hear about your babies… I hope that they feel better soon!!!
Thanks :0). I can't wait for them to be well. I was already struggling with a lack of sleep due to the puppy training. Now I am really in trouble because I wake up every time I hear Raven moving.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Poor little bullies. Wishing them both a speedy recovery. Try not to worry [MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION]...it sounds like they are in very good hands!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wishing your babies quick recoveries.... And hoping you catch up on sleep

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor little bullies. Wishing them both a speedy recovery. Try not to worry @Bizzymammabee...it sounds like they are in very good hands!
Thanks Henny. Hoping this change of antibiotic does it for them both.

- - - Updated - - -

Wishing your babies quick recoveries.... And hoping you catch up on sleep
Thanks. I can't wait for him to be able to hold a little longer so I can get some uninterrupted sleep.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven is better after a week. We had to change both their meds to Azitromyacin (sp?). Tyson is pretty much back to normal; the boogie faucet has been turned off. We are just working towards getting rid of that cough. The doc gave him some cough meds and it sure helps. Hoping he is totally better soon. Thanks for all of your help/suggestions and well wishes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.