Dog's spay/neuter health risks

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Our family is getting ready to welcome a puppy-girl into our family and our life. In the mean time, being a researcher at heart, I am doing an enormous amount of research into all dog related topics. And I thought Iā€™d share some info that shocked me to no end. It was a very unexpected discovery, as I was lead to believe in the opposite.

As a passionate in nature person, who just canā€™t keep such a ā€œbombā€ to myself, I thought Iā€™d share with all of you, dog lovers. Still not having an answer in my mind as to what is right and what it wrong when it comes to spaying/neutering a pet, I am just still in the ā€œdigesting the infoā€ stage at this point. The vet in the first video is desperately trying not to cry as she talks about her guilt and regret about being so adamant over the years asking her clients to fix their animals. It is very brave of her and the video is amazing.

Anyway, here it is, something for you to explore:

Dr. Becker: The Truth About Spaying and Neutering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enPCZA1WFKY

Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Three Reasons To Reconsider Spay/Neuter Three Reasons To Reconsider Spay/Neuter | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Age To Spay Or Neuter, Ovary Sparing Spay, Vasectomy, Cancer Links Age To Spay Or Neuter, Ovary Sparing Spay, Vasectomy, Cancer Links | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Your Dog Needs To Be Spayed Or Neutered ā€“ Right? http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/your-dog-needs-to-be-spayed-or-neutered-right/

yulia

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOWā€¦ Thank YOU so much for sharing this information!!!

I have so much respect for Dr. Becker, and I applaud her for coming out and changing her stand on this issues. It's really SAD to think of how here in the US we have been told over and over to spay & neuter our petsā€¦ personally I know for a FACT that spaying/neutering is the "bread and butter" for most vet clinics. The new vet that I have told me that she had NO issue w/me if we decided NOT to neuter Wally, and like Dr. Becker statedā€¦ she knows that we are responsible pet owners.

This has been such an eye-opener for meā€¦ I had Roxie spayed before her first heat cycle, and now at 10 she was just diagnosed w/hypothyroidism. BOY do I wish I had done my research years ago :(

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I had Roxie spayed before her first heat cycle, and now at 10 she was just diagnosed w/hypothyroidism. BOY do I wish I had done my research years ago :(

Good chance the info was not out there yet years ago. You did what you thought was BEST at THAT moment with the information you were given; you did it out of love and out of care. I have the same regret over partially vaccinating my son (he is my first child) during his first 8 months of life, before I started my in-depth research into the topic and stopped vaccinating my children. 8+ years of in-depth research into human vaccines later not a day goes by without me wishing I could go back and undue this one mistake :(. Living with regret is hard, believe me, I know :(... But we have to forgive ourselves and move forward.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I remember posting that Golden Retriever study, even sent it to my vet. We had a long convo. about it.

Anyway, the information has always been out there, but most people just trust their vets. And when vets say to neuter, that's what most people do.

In my case, I was not going to have Blue neutered, but then we got Wellie. I can't rely on other dog owners keeping their bitch inside when she's in heat. And since I live in a city with millions of other people, the last
thing I need is two intact males fighting over any female.

Also, there's truth in the fact that fixed dogs just don't like intact ones. I see it everyday, other dogs growling and trying to get at mine.
Since I try to be a responsible dog owner, and keep my bullies well socialized, neutering is necessary here.

While I'm also opposed to the practice (I can't comment on spaying), especially in young dogs, you're going to find hundreds of studies that will show castrating also has it's benefits.
At the end of the day, it's up to us to sort through fact from fiction, and make the best decision based on our own circumstances.

Yes- I'm trying to be politically correct in my answer..lol

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I haven't checked out the links, but am glad to see that there is an increasing discussion about neutering dogs! Whether or not you choose to neuter your dog, it is best to make as informed a choice as is possible.

In Sweden, most dogs are intact, although the last years have seen an increase in dogs being neutered. To stop this, the Swedish kennel club has therefore decided to ban neutered male dogs from shows as of 2017.
[MENTION=13052]yulia[/MENTION], just out of curiosity - why do you regret your children's vaccination? In my opinion, there is a huge difference between vaccinating children and neutering dogs. Unless for medical reasons, dogs are neutered for the convenience of the owner, whereas vaccinating children has to do with preventing outbreaks of epidemic disease.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I remember posting that Golden Retriever study, even sent it to my vet. We had a long convo. about it.

Anyway, the information has always been out there, but most people just trust their vets. And when vets say to neuter, that's what most people do.

In my case, I was not going to have Blue neutered, but then we got Wellie. I can't rely on other dog owners keeping their bitch inside when she's in heat. And since I live in a city with millions of other people, the last
thing I need is two intact males fighting over any female.

Also, there's truth in the fact that fixed dogs just don't like intact ones. I see it everyday, other dogs growling and trying to get at mine.
Since I try to be a responsible dog owner, and keep my bullies well socialized, neutering is necessary here.

While I'm also opposed to the practice (I can't comment on spaying), especially in young dogs, you're going to find hundreds of studies that will show castrating also has it's benefits.
At the end of the day, it's up to us to sort through fact from fiction, and make the best decision based on our own circumstances.

Yes- I'm trying to be politically correct in my answer..lol

You are making the best choice for your babies, living in the city is completely different than living out in the sticks. Have you noticed more strays where you live? I swear it's crazyā€¦ I have seen more stray dogs here in the country than I ever did in the city. People here could careless about animals in generalā€¦ it's very sad :(

OP
yulia

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I haven't checked out the links, but am glad to see that there is an increasing discussion about neutering dogs! Whether or not you choose to neuter your dog, it is best to make as informed a choice as is possible.

In Sweden, most dogs are intact, although the last years have seen an increase in dogs being neutered. To stop this, the Swedish kennel club has therefore decided to ban neutered male dogs from shows as of 2017.
@yulia, just out of curiosity - why do you regret your children's vaccination? In my opinion, there is a huge difference between vaccinating children and neutering dogs. Unless for medical reasons, dogs are neutered for the convenience of the owner, whereas vaccinating children has to do with preventing outbreaks of epidemic disease.

Oh no, i was NOT comparing neutering dogs to vaccinating children lol. I was just comparing the feeling of living with a guilt and regret.

As to why I regret vaccinating my first child (my second child is completely vaccine free) is because after 8+ years of in-depth research into vaccines, i now strongly believe that vaccines are very harmful. I believe that long term damage is far from being limited to autistic spectrum disorders, but is also responsible for many autoimmune conditions, food allergies, eczema and for over all poor health. I am a nutritional consultant and I chose to put on my website some studies and medical research about human vaccines. Feel free to check it out Vaccines safety info - Health from Scratch, LLC

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh no, i was NOT comparing neutering dogs to vaccinating children lol. I was just comparing the feeling of living with a guilt and regret.

As to why I regret vaccinating my first child (my second child is completely vaccine free) is because after 8+ years of in-depth research into vaccines, i now strongly believe that vaccines are very harmful. I believe that long term damage is far from being limited to autistic spectrum disorder, but is also responsible for many autoimmune conditions, food allergies, eczema and for over all poor health. I am a nutritional consultant and I chose to put on my website some studies and medical research about human vaccines. Feel free to check it out Vaccines safety info - Health from Scratch, LLC

I just checked out your website, and I don't really know a lot about this personally but it is quite the eye-opener. I have been slowly trying to clean up our food choices, and boy is this difficultā€¦ especially now that I have 2 teenagers in our home. Thanks for sharing your information!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=13052]yulia[/MENTION] OK - I see! Thanks for explaining. I realise there are many views on vaccination.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I don't need to read tons of studies..The simple fact is I won't put my bulldog under anesthesia unless it's absolutely necessary. Too many unnecessary tragedies

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online