Help! Bo's face is swollen again :(

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Late last Saturday night Bo started scratching his face and then his face got puffy. This has happened before- vet has always said probably an insect bite and treat with Benadryl and he's always been fine. So we did that and everything was fine. Then Tuesday night came and my S.O. (Brad) was cuddling Bo in bed and said he has a hard spot on his face and started to rub it- then his face swelled up again- we gave the Benadryl and he was fine by Wednesday evening. Now tonight about 10pm he started getting puffy again- I've already given him benadryl. He's resting fine. No breathing issues. While this hasn't happened in a long time, it has happened before.

We changed his food to blue buffalo freedom the beef kind on 10/18 bc his yeasty nose wrinkle is back and that hadn't been a problem since we switched his food to blue buffalo freedom chicken in 10/2012. I thought maybe the change up would help with the wrinkle. He ate it fine, had normal poops, no problems. Now all this. He puked this am, it was food and bile. Then he puked up a little bile this afternoon. He is drinking but hasn't been interested in food. Any thoughts?? Are these things related? Help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Liz, I'm so sorry that You're going through this with Bo, and that he's not feeling well. It definetely sounds like he's having an allergic reaction to something, especially since the Benadryl is working. Maybe he's reacting to the chicken in his new food change, since this is a recent change. I'm having the same issues with Blossom and Dozer with chicken and beef, and recently switched them to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, they are better, but still seeing them lick their paws, and Dozer has some clear eye boogers. I'm running out of proteins since Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef, corn and grains.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Is there anything new...treats or toys that he's been playing with or eating the last few days? Lawn treatment? Floor cleaner?

O thinks he has the mato pox.

We never figured out what Orion got into when she swelled up. Benedryl was barely helping....but the prednisone did wonders. I actually had to put her in a soft cone because she was scratching and scratching until she was bleeding on her face. I have a video....Orion tells you all about it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is there anything new...treats or toys that he's been playing with or eating the last few days? Lawn treatment? Floor cleaner?

this was my thought too.... cleaning agent or something in the lawn

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Sorry it took so long to respond :( here's an update on my favorite squishy man. So far he's been doing great. When we woke up on Friday his swelling had gone way down and by the time I got home from work his face was back to normal. He's been eating and drinking just fine. He's been voiding (1 and 2) normally also with no vomiting. At this point I have no idea if it was just a coincidence that he could have gotten bit or something else. I'll keep you posted.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad Bo is doing better! Give him a big hug from us!

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Done!! Here's a pic of his sweet mug!!
229d3754fc67e80db230da273308cc80.jpg

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup

O thinks he has the mato pox.

We never figured out what Orion got into when she swelled up. Benedryl was barely helping....but the prednisone did wonders. I actually had to put her in a soft cone because she was scratching and scratching until she was bleeding on her face. I have a video....Orion tells you all about it. ]

This is the cutest video ever! Orion looks a lot like Buttercup! She recently had a similar allergic reaction with facial swelling & eyes swollen nearly completely shut followed by hives on her whole body 12h later. We had to put her in a cone until the relief meds kicked in. At first we thought it might be an insect bite, but the hives recurred without facial swelling for a few nights after steroid meds started, which suggested continued exposure to the allergen. Now we think she is allergic to her salmon food because her face gets very pink & itchy after she eats it.

However, she ate the same food for ~1 month before her reaction so it's possible she was exposed to some other allergen which increased her total allergen load past her threshold for allergic reaction. It's also possible her immune system was primed for worsened allergies after she recently got her vaccines. She also had Nexgard a few days before the allergic reaction but if that were a direct cause we would have seen a reaction sooner.

We recently changed her food to V-dog with no animal protein and she no longer gets a pink, itchy face when she eats. No more hives so far. She loves her new food and it is a struggle to say no when she begs for more! I often had to trick her into eating the Wellness Limited Ingredient salmon & potato so maybe she was showing her own body wisdom when she turned up her nose at it!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Glad to hear that Bo is better! He does have a sweet mug and I love it!:heart:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad he is doing better, and hope you find what he is allergic to soon.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
I hope so too. Knock on wood- but so far so good :)

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Ok so sometime has passed. Only a few more episodes of vomit- always just bile. No more swollen face. But he has a horrible yeasty nose wrinkle.
I guess we will change his food again. He ate a lamb variety as a puppy and we switched to GF BB chicken in 2012 which fixed the issue. Then the yeast came back recently so we switched to BB GF beef variety about a month ago and have had the problems I mentioned before (yeast vomitting swelling). I'm looking for suggestions on what to do next?? Thanks, friends.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
What about a fish formula? Blue did very well on Fromms Salmon Tunalini.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
I haven't seen Fromm around here. I'll have to see where I can buy it. Also- is the yeasty nose wrinkle an allergic reaction or something else?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I haven't seen Fromm around here. I'll have to see where I can buy it. Also- is the yeasty nose wrinkle an allergic reaction or something else?

Could be trapped bacteria and yeast, depending on how deep it is. Food can contribute to it as well. You can also order Fromm online from Petflow.

Most Reactions