brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Does anyone have experience with the antibiotic Minacycline??? The vet started Brutus on this for tonsillitis on Friday. He told me to give him Pepcid 1/2hr before the antibiotic and then give the antibiotic with food as it can cause an upset tummy. GREAT! Brutus started throwing up yesterday morning and I have to assume it is this antibiotic. I called the vet and he said to cut the dose down to 1 1/2 capsules twice a day instead of 2 in the morning and 1 at night as he thinks this is too strong. I have to deconstruct the capsules and refill them with less of the powder that is inside them. :nervous:This seems ridiculous to me. Anyone else have this reaction to this medication?? My poor baby. I also started him on a bland diet to help his tummy tum.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
no, not familiar with it. but blue gets diarrhea from most antibiotics so I know it's pain.

Can your vet give something like Cerenia? It's an anti-vomit med. Wellie was on it (up until yesterday) while he was on his antiobitoics.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
never heard of it either and agree with Ellie.... call and ask for the Cerenia. I woul dnot mess with capsules and I would just give one in AM and one in PM

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Poor guy. It does sound like he's not reacting well to the minocycline. I think your vet should try another antibiotic. Trying to take out the powder from the capsules to give him 1 and 1/2 in the a.m. isn't very accurate and you may be giving him less than he needs for the infection.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thats what i thought also. I am giving him pecid which has the same active ingredients as Fomotadine.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh man, I have NO experience w/those meds. I'm just sorry that you are still dealing w/this… poor baby!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No experience with that medicine either, sorry :(

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Minocycline is a semisynthetic form of tetracycline and currently is the drug that replaces doxycycline which is in short supply since 2013. As with any cycline...it can casue nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. And becasue it is an antibiotic, yeast infection is of concern.

Tetracyclines: Antibacterial Agents: Merck Veterinary Manual

I hope this helps.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have any experience with antibiotics for pets either, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this with Brutus, poor guy, I hope he feels better soon. I would ask the vet if their is a different antibiotic you could try. I also didn't know that dogs could get tonsillitis, how did you know he had this? What are the symptoms of tonsillitis in dogs?

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't have any experience with antibiotics for pets either, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this with Brutus, poor guy, I hope he feels better soon. I would ask the vet if their is a different antibiotic you could try. I also didn't know that dogs could get tonsillitis, how did you know he had this? What are the symptoms of tonsillitis in dogs?
He was coughing. When the vet came to check him, he was also running a fever.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope Brutus get well soon, and the lower dose will not upset hid tummy as bad.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I hope things start improving soon!!

I actually have heard of dogs getting tonsillitis because my Boston terrier/pug mix gets tonsil stones (which causes bad breath) our vet said to keep an eye on her because if they get infected we will have tonsillitis on our hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Maybe give some Greek yogurt before to coat and give probiotics to his tumtum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online