Rooney needs TPLO Surgery - Advise Needed

andrew657

Feb 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Rooney
Unfortunately it looks like Rooney's knee problems haven't gone away. He's 2 years old now and has an on again/off again problem in his right rear knee. Some days he would be limping and other days he could run around just fine. It's seem to be more persistent the past month or so though. The vet thinks he needs to have the TPLO surgery performed to fix it. Unfortunately, I did not find out about pet insurance until AFTER I found out about his knee problem. :gloom:. The orthopedic surgeon is quoting us about $3500-$3800 for the surgery in his one knee. Is this a normal price for this? It seems a bit excessive. Rooney's located in the Fort Worth Texas area if anyone knows any options around there for a cheaper orthopedic surgeon.

I've called around to all of the pet insurance companies. Not a lot will cover this because they perceive it to be a bi-lateral pre-existing condition. There are a small handful that will though. Apparently they'll cover his other knee so long as nothing happens to it over the next 12 months. What I'm worried about is that our vet said that there's a 50% chance his other knee could need the surgery because he will be overcompensating after the surgery. Has anyone ever had an experience with that? I'm hoping we can make it 12 months without this happening ugh.

Trying to weigh what my options are for the lil guy. He lives with my mom who is retired and on a fixed income. So I'm trying to help out and take care of the first surgery for her, but I'm really scared of this second surgery happening. Does anyone know of any orthopedic surgeons in Texas they would recommend or alternative procedures or any pet insurance options that would cover his other knee immediately? I'm new to all these expensive pet health issues unfortunately. Still kicking myself for not knowing about pet insurance earlier.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has :-)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Unfortunately it looks like Rooney's knee problems haven't gone away. He's 2 years old now and has an on again/off again problem in his right rear knee. Some days he would be limping and other days he could run around just fine. It's seem to be more persistent the past month or so though. The vet thinks he needs to have the TPLO surgery performed to fix it. Unfortunately, I did not find out about pet insurance until AFTER I found out about his knee problem. :gloom:. The orthopedic surgeon is quoting us about $3500-$3800 for the surgery in his one knee. Is this a normal price for this? It seems a bit excessive. Rooney's located in the Fort Worth Texas area if anyone knows any options around there for a cheaper orthopedic surgeon.

I've called around to all of the pet insurance companies. Not a lot will cover this because they perceive it to be a bi-lateral pre-existing condition. There are a small handful that will though. Apparently they'll cover his other knee so long as nothing happens to it over the next 12 months. What I'm worried about is that our vet said that there's a 50% chance his other knee could need the surgery because he will be overcompensating after the surgery. Has anyone ever had an experience with that? I'm hoping we can make it 12 months without this happening ugh.

Trying to weigh what my options are for the lil guy. He lives with my mom who is retired and on a fixed income. So I'm trying to help out and take care of the first surgery for her, but I'm really scared of this second surgery happening. Does anyone know of any orthopedic surgeons in Texas they would recommend or alternative procedures or any pet insurance options that would cover his other knee immediately? I'm new to all these expensive pet health issues unfortunately. Still kicking myself for not knowing about pet insurance earlier.

Trupanion is out then.
*cut and paste from Vegas's policy*

Paragraph b. of Section 7. WHAT WE DO NOT COVER is deleted in its entirety and
replaced by the following:
b. CONDITIONS NOT COVERED
(1) Illnesses for which any evidence and/or symptoms of their potential manifestation
already exist at, or prior to, the policy enrollment date;
(2) The cost of treatment for bilateral conditions presenting on one side of the body, if
that condition was a pre-existing condition on the other side of the body (such as
luxating patella or anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) weakness);

(3) Conditions arising from a repetitive and specific activity that leads to
decontamination (i.e., the induction of vomiting, stomach pumping, or treatment
with charcoal), medical, or surgical treatment of your pet, if the same or a similar
activity has occurred two times within the 18-month period prior to the policy
enrollment date.
(4) Abnormalities that are present at, or during the 18 months prior to, the policy
enrollment date (even if they have not been previously detected and/or documented
by a veterinarian). These include signs, symptoms or conditions which are:
a. observable by, or reasonably known to be present by, the pet owner;
b. detectable by a routine physical exam by your veterinarian;
c. those which have been noted from diagnostic testing, screening or
radiographs

*we are in the same boat with Vegas's epilepsy. He was diagnosed at 10 months old. Now at 7 years old....they won't cover anything. I have a member in my Bulldog With Seizures fB group that had insurance before her bulldog was diagnosed with epilepsy. They cover everything! I kick myself all the time over this.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=8272]andrew657[/MENTION] My Jewel just had this surgery. You are not the only one with sticker shock. I will tag you on some threads when I am at my computer.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Have you tried anything from a more holistic approach? We were told Tyson had the same thing & the only option to correct was TPLO surgery. Because he had surgery once, and went into respiratory attack afterwards (and we almost lost him), we vowed to never allow surgery unless it meant life or death. Now, several bulldogs undergo surgery all the time with no issues, this was just our experience, and we were forewarned due to the breed, and breathing issues. We researched and read so many articles and studies on alternatives and figured we'd give it a shot.... he's not very active to begin with, but we limited his activity alot... shorter, slower walks, etc. We started to give him Turmeric (natural anti-inflammatory), chia seeds, omega, and supplements for his joints (Glyco Flex Bite-Size chews). He limped for a few weeks, but slowly started to not limp as much. Now, we are by no means a vet, nor professionals, just telling you what worked for us. He initially was also taking Tramadol to help with the pain, after about a month, we started to ween him off the Tramadol slowly since we didn't want him on meds if not necessary... he is now completely limp free, and we still continue giving him the supplements & vitamins, as we will for the rest of his life, just to be sure. Now, Tyson is older so I don't know about the activity levels.. but just wanted to share our story.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online